I give up! How do I get to these areas? (potential spoilers)

• 11 Replies
I give up! How do I get to these areas? (potential spoilers)
« on: December 16, 2013, 19:23:35 »
First of all, I love this game. Its truly beautiful and challenging, thanks Nifflas and the whole team. I'm stumped on a few areas though so I'll upload a print screen of my map. The 5 blank screens near the center are driving me crazy, the obvious entrance seems to be entering from the right, but it seems to be a solid wall in my game. I think I've tried everything!

Also, in the top left, I can get so close to entering from the bottom by bouncing from the screen to the right, but not quite, maybe I should just keep trying.

Theres also the last quest I need to complete involving the red and blue blocks and switches, and the single black screen to the right and center.

I'd appreciate some help on any or all of these. My curiosity is keeping me from giving up entirely, but I spent a few hours last night trying to make progress, with no success. I'm now working in the figure space, which is nice and maddening, but I won't ask for help on that one.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: I give up! How do I get to these areas? (potential spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 19:37:40 »
The 5 square one, I believe you have to enter from the left, and that the right is only the exit.

The top left one, you are trying to get in through the exit. On the PS3 version, it is possible to enter from that area using powerups, but the designed way is from the right. You have actually made it, but didn't find the secret entrance.

The quest with the buttons is indeed a bit tricky. You have to memorise the map a little to figure out what route to take, and where to press what button. Note, there are a few buttons located that if you take that corridor, and you press the button, you no longer can get to that location. If you need to, write a map on paper and once you have done, try and create a logical route from that.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 19:59:07 »
Ah, now that I think of it, I only just barely entered that screen on the upper left, so it shows on the map, but my powerup ran out with plenty of lava to still cross. I guess I'll have to keep trying that one.

I'm also wondering, when I look at my item inventory, theres 2 blank spaces to the right of the mapping device. I've gathered from this forum that theres some items that can only be had by completing the game without spending any coins, are those spaces where those items would go? I may end up playing through a 2nd time if thats the case.

Has anyone written a guide to finding the secrets and getting achievments? I know its more fun to find them on my own, but I'm not made of time! (or am I... woah... what is time anyway?)

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 18:37:25 »
Well I finally conquered most of these. It turns out that after doing the red/blue switch quest:
Spoiler: alert1 (click to show/hide)

And after a long time trying to get into the upper left portion of the screen:
Spoiler: alert2 (click to show/hide)

So now theres just one screen on the whole map that I haven't been to.

But now I'm on a mission to get all the achievments... and I'm not even close!
So far I've got only 3:
Spoiler: alert3 (click to show/hide)

Anyone care to drop me some hints?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 21:08:52 »
Ah, the top left section with the blue powerup, I thought that was a PS3 only method, but its an alternate way to go there.

As for the remaining square, here's a set of hints and the solution:

Spoiler: hint1 (click to show/hide)

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 22:45:12 »
Ah! Thank you! I had been trying to bounce my way up and then activate the powerup. I never thought about doing it that way. I'm guessing a similar method was supposed to be used in the upper left.

Spoiler: One more question (click to show/hide)

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 23:06:45 »
Getting the 4 pieces is just part of the puzzle. If you do everything intended, there will be an extra bit of story at the ending. Its not an alternate ending though, as I thought first. Its just an extra storiy being told, but if you finished the game already, getting this puzzle done and ringing the last bell will still give you that story.

MODPlug Central Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 19:10:29 »
Hmm... I tried ringing the last bell again, and there wasn't anything new. Do I need to do something else? I haven't really explored the disorder much, so maybe I'm missing something there. I'm guessing I need to place the puzzle pieces somewhere, I just have no clue where.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 21:16:20 »
Yes, there are 4 secret areas (well quite a lot more actually) where each piece has to be taken to. If you done that, head back to that secret room and press a button.

That secret room has a big clue about where these items should be taken to.

MODPlug Central Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 22:13:14 »
Sorry if I keep bothering you LPChip, but you seem to be the only person here.

I got the enigma, and saw the different ending, but now I'm trying to get the "Heroic Dance" by activating all the save points... I've finished the figure and mini-figure, and I know I saved at every opportunity in those places (because i'm not insane). I had thought I hit every save on the main map already, but I can't seem to access the mini chapters, so just to be sure, I systematically hit every save point on the visible map again. I never saw any message or anything telling me that I got all 60. I've tried standing on a save location and hitting every button that I have mapped to an action (since I remapped the controls). The only guides I've found were for ps3 which calls for the triangle button, which I'm guessing is the 'action' button... or the powerup button, I'm not sure.

So... I'm not sure what to do.  I need to find the sandwich recipe still, so maybe thats next. I wonder if I can find the ingredients locally, from the new ending I gather that it calls for some kind of fancy european cheese. :) Sounds expensive so far.

Edit: Argh! I just read that the Heroic Dance is a PS3 exclusive

Edit2: Correction, Fatalii isn't a European cheese, but an African hot pepper, and its not part of the official sandwich... although it sounds like an interesting pepper, I may have to find some seeds and try growing it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 17:55:46 by amidstham »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 14:23:57 »
The achievement itself might be PS3 exclusive, but you can still play the mini chapters in the PC version (assuming you're running the latest version). They're just accessed differently!

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 17:57:39 »
Thanks! I may need to update, as its been sitting on my hard drive for awhile. How do you access the mini-chapters on PC?