SoftSoft's You are a Blob! (CYOA webgame)

• 7 Replies

Offline Healy

• View Profile
SoftSoft's You are a Blob! (CYOA webgame)
« on: November 02, 2013, 03:51:29 »
I made a game this year for Ectocomp (a yearly Halloween IF Competition) called You are a Blob! under the name SoftSoft. You can download the whole Comp here.  If you prefer to play the entry by itself, I also uploaded it on Glorious Trainwrecks, where I put most of my game junk. It also has some backstory, which I'll copy and paste here:
You are a Blob actually wasn't my first [Ectocomp] game idea (a choice-based adaption of "Jacked Up Jack-o-Lantern" from the Regular Show Trilogy of Terror 3), but an eight-year-old was getting cold feet about entering, so I vowed to make a game so crappy it would make everyone else's game shine like gold! Which turned out to be no small feat, because everyone and their mother entered a game (or two) this year, for a grand total of 24 entries. But I think I gave it a good run.
At least one dude has called it "an ultra-cute Halloween-themed The Gostak for kids", so if that description interests you, check it out!

(And please, by all means check out the rest of the Ectocomp if you like this piece. In particular, Adelynn Snyder, to whom You are a Blob! is dedicated, entered a charmingly old-fashioned CYOA called Trick or Treat, while Chemistry and Physics, by Colin Sandel and Carolyn VanEseltine, is actually a scary and tense piece of work. Some of the games may require an interpreter to play; a good one that everyone recommends is Gargoyle.)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: SoftSoft's You are a Blob! (CYOA webgame)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 05:36:47 »
At least one dude has called it "an ultra-cute Halloween-themed The Gostak for kids", so if that description interests you, check it out!

This was almost exactly what I was going to say, hence my lack of comments elsewhere. You're promoting this a surprising amount for a game allegedly intended to be terrible!

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:28:11 »
I am terribly, exceedingly vain, and feedback for this Ectocomp has been rather slow in coming.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 21:11:58 »
Text-based games aren't my thing. They make me think of the early days of video games when any wrong move utterly killed you and you had to try again from the very start, and the only way to rule out wrong moves was by trial and error, and even then you could get to the end of the game and discover you forgot to grab your toothbrush at the beginning for no apparent reason whatsoever. :sick: But, I'll give it a try.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:37:27 »
Like all game genres I'm familiar with, text-based games have generally become a lot easier and more accessible over the years. This one uses Twine, so choices are made just by clicking links in your browser, which can be instantly undone just by hitting the back button. I'd argue that parser-based games have also largely shifted away from inscrutable puzzles and situations in which it's possible to get stuck.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:50:08 »
Yeah, nowadays you rarely see anything crueler than a Tough on the old Cruelty Scale. And usually that's due to bugs. Plus most games these days have some sort of UNDO command, which gets you out of a lot of these situations. I've had to restart a couple times on some of these games, but most of the time it was because it was a timed puzzle that was a bit too strict with the timing. Only one of them was like the hypothetical game you ranted about (The Profile), and the other two examples I could think of were both Twine games, ironically enough. (Chemistry and Physics, which I've already mentioned, and A Slight Problem with Zombies, which I hated.)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 23:59:30 »
I've played a few of them now. That 8 year old girl mopped the floor with your blob game. I admit that I've played some excellent text games in the recent years, but I still hesitate to give them a try. I also shudder and remove throwable objects from my vicinity before playing any new Mario title even though they're never hard to beat anymore.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 02:01:06 »
I'm pleased to hear that you liked Trick or Treat better than my game. More Ectocomp reviews have come in and it seems it's picking up better buzz, which means I may have succeeded in my task after all.