(easy/scenic/misc) Fatigue (Spoilers Inside!)

• 7 Replies
(easy/scenic/misc) Fatigue (Spoilers Inside!)
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:48:43 »
Important Note: If you comment on a specific part, I recommend using quotes. This post is to be updated over time.

Post last updated: December 17, 2013

Progress:
Delayed until I get more experience... This is probably too ambitious for a first level.

Story:
Granted. Unfortunately, you forgot to specify how it's created and what else you do. Your insecurities have a wonderful time making a thoroughly unpleasant dream world for you. Sadly, your brain never gets any time off, leaving you zombielike during your waking hours. While you remember the nightmare world well, your memories of real life become increasingly unreliable.

I plan on this being somewhat like Yume Nikki and it's fangames, like The Looking Glass (the game). I recommend looking those games up on Youtube to get what I mean. Warning: They may be slightly NSFW. Those two games, if rated by ESRB, I am guessing would get somewhere around a Teen rating.
Well, basically [main character] (no name yet) needs to either escape or fix the constant nightmares they experience every night.

In the first part of the level you go to the local doctor/nurse/medicine person to get something for a particularly bad migraine you have. When you get home you go to sleep and have a nightmare. You are too weak to climb down the exit of your house when you wake up, and after you go to sleep and wake up a few times, a friend goes to your house to check if you are ok.
   They bring you to the doctor to see what is wrong, and the doctor says that they accidently got the wrong plant to give you (The two plants look very similar. This is why he/she trained to be a doctor, to minimize how often these things happen) . They give you another medicine to diminish the bad effects, but you will still have to stop the nightmares on your own. They become more stable with the new medicine, and now you explore the same dreamworld most of the time when you sleep. This is where the main part of the game starts.

Near the end of the level you can find a mini star (a mystical stone said to have fallen from the sky) to help you have the strength to enter the worst area(s) of your nightmare.

Ideas/Other:
  • Random Events: Though it is hard to use, a way to have random teleportation in KS has been found by minmay here. With this way the player has to walk or run left and cannot jump.
        This may be implemented as a screen. A gradient fills the whole screen and turns from white on the right side to black on the left side. The player appears to be floating. They can walk/run left but cannot jump, invisible blocks/no jump tiles don't let them. When they hit the teleporter(s), they have a chance of going to either (mildly?) different version of the dream world. This screen is entered whenever the player goes to sleep.
  • A possible way to repair the dream world is to plant flowers at certain points. These flowers transform the nearby area into a nicer version than it was before (Though there may be a trick flower that does the opposite). As it is repaired, [main character] slowly regains abilities such as running and the high jump in the awake-world. This will probably be the main gameplay mechanic, finding flowers/flower seeds and planting them in the right spot.
  • No screenshots yet, but here is an ugly bare bones version of what I imagine the first screen to be:
    [ascii]
    █████████████████████████
    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█
    █▓█████████████████████▓█
    █▓█████░████░████░█████▓█
    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█

First light-spot is a teleport that says GAME START above
    Second light-spot teleports to an options screen, if there is one. OPTIONS written above.
    Third light-spot links to a cutscene that has the credits in it. CREDITS written above.
    [/ascii]
  • You can't die from your dreams, only be woken up.
  • The level might auto-save every time you wake up and not give other save points.

-

Credits:
  • made by Caveflower
  • Nifflas made Knytt Stories
  • Chrysophylax

Thanks to all who have read this!
Advice/Criticism is wanted.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 17:41:57 by Caveflower »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: (easy/scenic/misc) Fatigue (Spoilers Inside!)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:37:43 »
Interesting... this actually sounds a great deal like something I'm working on.  Keep us posted and get a good screen shot up when you can.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:40:19 »
Interesting... this actually sounds a great deal like something I'm working on.  Keep us posted and get a good screen shot up when you can.
I looked for previews by you here. Is it your KS+ level "A Brief Investigation"? "The Probability Network"?

There really isn't much industrialization in the nearby awake-world. The main similarities I see are dream-worlds (or worlds that are otherwise not completely real), and changing the environment.

If you saw anything too similar to be a coincidence, I would like to know about it so we can figure out what to do.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 14:07:06 »
I looked for previews by you here. Is it your KS+ level "A Brief Investigation"? "The Probability Network"?

I'd put my money on The Dream Stones/Shattered Foundations.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this as it develops. It's very interesting to read about that random teleportation method... I'll have to give it a go myself.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 20:04:20 »
They can walk/run left but cannot jump, invisible blocks don't let them.
There's an invisible object which makes it physically impossible for Juni to jump if she's touching it. Is there any sort of reason this won't work with the randomizer?

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:57:34 »
Oh wow, I totally forgot about that thread!   :oops:  That project kind of died when my old lap top crashed and I lost all the work.  It has been reborn into a new concept.  (Though I did recently find a backup of most of the work I lost!)  The bit of intro is not completely wrong, but I'm heading a slightly different direction with it now.  But yes, your essentially right.  I had even invented a completely different randomize method involving invisible flags arrayed around the screen so that (hopefully) the player would not run through the screen the same way every time and thus would end up going somewhere random.  Random locations of course because I too was working with a dream concept.  I like your method better though.

And don't worry at all about anything that might resembled what I'm working on.  If anything I'd love to do a collaboration.  But if you don't want to do that, hey, that's cool too.  The more versions the merrier. 

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 20:44:02 »
I've updated my post to show that I'm still working on the level.

They can walk/run left but cannot jump, invisible blocks don't let them.
There's an invisible object which makes it physically impossible for Juni to jump if she's touching it. Is there any sort of reason this won't work with the randomizer?
That will probably work better.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 21:40:23 »
There might end up being lots of objects to interact with in this level. Do you guys think using the radar item to show what can be interacted with (by pressing down) is a good idea? Would it break immersion? I'm not exactly making this level yet, I just think about it a lot.