[Environmental/Misc][Large][Easy] Vanilla

• 14 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
[Environmental/Misc][Large][Easy] Vanilla
« on: August 22, 2013, 06:13:46 »
Vanilla is a project I've been working on and off (mostly off) for about a year. It shows off every tileset that comes packaged with the game. You can either stroll through each screen one after another, or head to the warp room to go straight to a tileset to see how it looks in an actual level.

I've crawled through the screens multiple times, but if I did miss a wallswim or something, please say so!

I also didn't include music because it's supposed to be more of a reference. Pop your own music on, it's better than what I could make, and you probably haven't heard it as many times as you have the default songs. ;)

Update to version 2!
Medifire Link
Headgrinder Link

Spoiler: Known Bugs (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:06:10 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Environmental/Misc][Large][Easy] Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 13:56:33 »
This is a really great reference level and I'm so glad you completed it. I tried to do something like this and gave up within about ten rooms. It amazes me how many great tilesets have been largely neglected in all the custom levels I've played... hopefully people playing this will be inspired to finally give some of these tilesets their moment in the limelight!

Spoiler: Bugs I encountered: (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 23:21:23 »
This is a really great reference level and I'm so glad you completed it. I tried to do something like this and gave up within about ten rooms. It amazes me how many great tilesets have been largely neglected in all the custom levels I've played... hopefully people playing this will be inspired to finally give some of these tilesets their moment in the limelight!

Thank you! And yeah, I noticed how good that Souleye's Secret Emulation Tileset or whatever was (the blue and green line tileset) against a black background. And the two color tilesets near the end.

Spoiler: Bugs I fixed: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 00:15:19 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:59:04 »
Headgrinder link... ha!  I simultaneously want to cry and applaud. 

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 15:37:43 »
Great work Pumpkinbot. It does get boring after awhile, but that's not your fault. Many of these I've never even considered what they'd look like in use, and you made them look so useful. I think I gave you a star in the other thread, but I'm giving you one here anyway. I'm sure it was torturous to make at times. *gives star*

I never noticed that a cave drawing in tileset 233 was a creature appearing in Saria. How cool?

Spoiler: Bugs (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:05:50 »
Headgrinder link... ha!  I simultaneously want to cry and applaud.  
;) I've seen your post in KG's Define thread. I kinda got the message, heh.

Great work Pumpkinbot. It does get boring after awhile, but that's not your fault. Many of these I've never even considered what they'd look like in use, and you made them look so useful. I think I gave you a star in the other thread, but I'm giving you one here anyway. I'm sure it was torturous to make at times. *gives star*

I never noticed that a cave drawing in tileset 233 was a creature appearing in Saria. How cool?

Spoiler: Bugs (click to show/hide)
Aww, thanks! And yeah, running through 255 completely linear screens can become a bit boring, I suppose. That's why I added that warp room, so people can be all "Oh, I wonder what tileset 784 looks like?" and go to it. I also didn't notice that was the thing as well until you pointed it out! And I'll take it as a compliment that it's boring, yet I still get a star. ;)

I'll add those bugs to the OP and fix 'em in my version!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:28:39 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:01 »
I played whole level and I liked it. But how does tileset 784 look ? I did not find it here.
I didn't find any bugs expect the ones mentioned before.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 13:20:58 »
I played whole level and I liked it. But how does tileset 784 look ? I did not find it here.
I didn't find any bugs expect the ones mentioned before.
I believe it looks something like this.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 13:28:31 »
Then I am happy I did not find it.  :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 20:43:52 by Polana »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 15:06:09 »
This level made me realize just how much I didn't understand and was limited by my own narrow thinking when using a lot of the default tilesets. It's both humbling and enlightening at the same time, like a wiser person solving a puzzle for you.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 16:09:11 »
This level made me realize just how much I didn't understand and was limited by my own narrow thinking when using a lot of the default tilesets. It's both humbling and enlightening at the same time, like a wiser person solving a puzzle for you.
Oh, my! Well, thank you! That's probably the biggest praise I've ever gotten, heh...It's humbling to hear that something I've done is humbling. ;)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 06:04:42 »
Alright, gonna bump this to say that I've added the updated version to the OP! All those bugs? Gone. Enjoy!

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 20:17:12 »
Thanks for making this. It got me inspired to use some "unconventional" tilesets in a future potential level. Kudos!  :^^:
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 09:02:21 »
Thanks for making this. It got me inspired to use some "unconventional" tilesets in a future potential level. Kudos!  :^^:
Aw, thanks! :3 Making this actually did kind of make me realize that there's some really good default tilesets that just...don't get used. *shrug*

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 18:33:10 »
Making this actually did kind of make me realize that there's some really good default tilesets that just...don't get used. *shrug*
I was going to say something about that too. It's just so sad that they never get to be in a KS level, because tilesets like #6 get all the attention. But yeah, it's easy to overlook the good ones, with Nifflas' obsession of putting things in his scanner and all that.