A credit for Simon Jonsson?

• 5 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
A credit for Simon Jonsson?
« on: October 09, 2013, 16:25:18 »
Knytt Underground uses heavily modified graphics from Knytt Stories' Tileset208, 'Ortofaktor' by Simon Jonsson. But Simon Jonsson is not credited... should he be?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: A credit for Simon Jonsson?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 17:57:00 »
You're right, it'd have been very appropriate, but I back when I recreated those graphics and added it into the game, I forgot to make an entry in the credits database. I hate to admit that in pretty much every game I've made, I've accidentally forgot to add at least someone to the credits.

Since we're on the topic, Simon was one of my closest friends. He had this amazing (and sort of weird) sense of humor. He managed to simultaneously be quite sarcastic and occasionally offensive and inappropriate, at the same time being one of the most loving and caring persons I've known. His strong personality has affected my own to the degree that I wouldn't think or do the same things as if I had not met him. I've drawn quite a bit of inspiration from him in Knytt Underground, and he also created content for my previous games. Usually he'd come up with the weirder things, like Das Magdenburska Martian Deathray Panzer Crawler in Knytt, and the idea for the guy walking past the screen in the end of Within a Deep Forest with a lantern in his beard (and the voice you hear is him). Of course, also the Ortofaktor tileset in Knytt Stories.

As you probably guessed since I'm talking about him in the past sense, he died. It was a little less than a year ago. Strangely, I never had a problem accepting what happened. Maybe because I know losing a close friend is an experience I share with a lot of people, most likely including several of you who read this post. I miss him a lot though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 18:04:41 by Nifflas »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 20:25:12 »
Man, that's really sad to hear. After reading this, I think I can pick out the sort of things he inspired in your work. I also remember that Ortofaktor was the name of a ship in Saira. It sounds like his personality will continue to shine through in your games, which is something, at least.

I'm glad to hear you found closure with relative ease. I have yet to lose a close friend. I don't look forward to it.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 21:55:08 »
Although it is quite sad to hear about someone's depature (and increasingly so when said person has made a significant impression), I myself at least find comfort in knowing that while I personally did not know this person, he will live on through Nifflas' spirit and presumably others who knew him as well. A sense of crude humor from someone who is indeed quite caring can make the world a brighter place, for those who realize the intent behind it, as it seems Nifflas has. I think that although he's gone, he'd be very proud to know he is still a part of something, even if he's not here to receive credit- he just sounds like that sort of guy. :)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 17:17:00 »
Thank you for saying these nice things :) I wish he'd still be around to hang out and also add crazy stuff to my games. Also, that credit is really something I need to fix.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 17:20:20 by Nifflas »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 17:57:25 »
He's also featured in KU.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
On a side note, if you ever need voices, I'd be glad to participate.