This is Caveflower's first post here!

• 6 Replies
This is Caveflower's first post here!
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:11:26 »
I just joined these forums, so I thought I would make an introduction post. I read the rules, saw UltimateWalrus's introduction topic here, and decided this was probably the right place.

I joined here so I could review levels (Knytt Stories) and post my own creations if I feel like it. Also because this seems to be a relatively small community compared to other sites.

So... Hi guys! :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: This is Caveflower's first post here!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:33:23 »
Hi Caveflower. Welcome to the forum. :)

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:53:21 »
Welcome, Caveflower! Yes, it's a small and cozy community, so if you like that sort, you'll fit right in. :)

So you got here through Knytt Stories? When did you start playing KS? Have you made any custom levels yet?

Looking forward to your KS reviews and contributions!  C)

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 12:14:42 »
Welcome, Caveflower! Yes, it's a small and cozy community, so if you like that sort, you'll fit right in. :)

So you got here through Knytt Stories? When did you start playing KS? Have you made any custom levels yet?

Looking forward to your KS reviews and contributions!  C)
"So you got here through Knytt Stories?"
Either Knytt, Knytt Stories, or WaDF.

"When did you start playing KS?"
A year or a few years ago.

"Have you made any custom levels yet?"
I've worked just a bit on custom levels (haven't uploaded any).
A question about level design: Does the default music and ambiance in Knytt Stories bother you? It seems a lot more difficult to make custom sounds than custom tilesets

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 13:33:10 »
Does the default music and ambiance in Knytt Stories bother you? It seems a lot more difficult to make custom sounds than custom tilesets
Don't know how others feel about it, but I'm totally fine with the default sounds and music in custom levels. To me it's more about how well they are used, rather than how original they are.

And I agree that making custom sounds/music is quite a challenge. I think there are some free-to-use sound libraries and depositories around, but more experienced level-makers would probably know more about that.

You mentioned your own creations - what do you do? Art, stories?

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 13:47:15 »
Sometimes I draw and make stories. Mostly I daydream about ideas I have. I'm think I'm going to actually use my ideas more now that my mental health has recovered a lot recently.

Somewhat unrelated: Thank you Nifflas and the people of the forums for making nice games and stuff.

EDIT: Corrected grammar
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 14:00:51 by Caveflower »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 00:03:08 »
I can't make music either. If you want custom music and can't make it yourself, these are the sites I frequent:
  • newgrounds.com/audio for synthesized music
  • jamendo.com for all kinds of music
  • musopen.org for classical music
  • ccmixter.org for synthesized music that doesn't sound synthesized. Unfortunately most of it has vocals.
  • soundcloud.com for all kinds of music, but be careful. It's not all licensed for public use.

For audio recordings that you can make ambiance and other sound effects with, freesound.org is an excellent resource.

Knytt Stories only accepts .ogg audio files. You'll most likely need to convert your custom audio into .ogg files. I recomend Audacity for file type conversion and simple editing.