So...another glitch, then?

• 9 Replies

Offline ElMirador

• TuT
    • View Profile
So...another glitch, then?
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:03:49 »
Hi there! I've been playing KU for a while, but as you can see I'm still not finishing it. :oops:

There's something i found interesting.
first you guys might wanna see this:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

and here's what I did:

it's a little bit funny.
literally it's a bug but the game saw it as a path or something :crazy:

UPDATED: since this little bug can't do any harm to the game, well it's a good time to change title :)

MORE:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:31:32 by ElMirador »
[achvmnt]VkVSMDIAAACBwgAAgYEAAAAAAAAA[/achvmnt]WaDF is the one of the best plaformer games I've ever played XD

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: So...another game-broke, then?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 16:46:41 »
Wow, impressive find!

The reason you get pushed out like that is that I tried to be clever about making Mi and the ball never being able to get stuck in a wall, despite shifting between their separate collision masks. The way the game takes care of it is that when you switch character, the game finds the closest position where the other character's collision mask doesn't overlap with anything, and places the player there. I had to design the game with this in mind and avoid having passages where only one character can fit and not the other. In special cases where you don't have the transformation power I may have passages like this (such as the game tutorial that has a hole so small that you're forced to hold the Down button).

Seems like I had missed one spot in this case. Though it's some backtracking, you can still get back to a normal Utopioca entrance and teleport to the Yoga Monster again (if you didn't get the Yoga monster's item), but you're right that you cannot get back to that small area if you got the item and then glitch exited the area.

I guess it presents me with a dilemma. On one side, it's not a code glitch, but rather a product of all the game logic working as it should in a collision mask it's not designed for. That means it cannot cause crashes or instability. I like small obscure glitches like this and love finding them in other games (especially in Journey). On the other hand, I can see how it can be a downer for a completionist to be unable to fill the entire map. I could fix this one for the Steam release. Question is, should I?

As a solution in your case, I'd say it's fair if you teleport past the door using the debug trick (pressing Shift+D+B allows you to right click to position Mi anywhere you want on the screen). A warning though, debug teleportation can in some cases crash the game if it triggers quests or dialogs out of a set sequence, but I know it's safe to teleport to the other side of that door.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 16:49:47 by Nifflas »

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:06:23 »
This glitch is awesome and personally I would love to see it left intact. Now, is there anywhere else this can be done...

Offline ElMirador

• TuT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:31 »
thanks for the trick Nifflas!
agreed to Mobiusman, I'd love to see this left, honestly.

KU is all about exploration and adventure, finding this kind of glitch is the part of game itself i think.
i couldn't be more excited when i found this.
first time that the ball bounced in that place is a pure coincidence. i was just wandering around using the ball at that time.
next i found Mi can't climb up there, then this glitch came out.

yeah i did feel a little bit of disappointment when i found i can't get back because i haven't filled up the whole area yet.
but hey, "adventure at your own risk", right? :oops:
and we have debug trick here anyway, i won't feel guilty for using it in this case :)

even more you could make this an achievement or something like that "hey you shouldn't go that way! ;)"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:31:08 by ElMirador »
[achvmnt]VkVSMDIAAACBwgAAgYEAAAAAAAAA[/achvmnt]WaDF is the one of the best plaformer games I've ever played XD

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: So...another glitch, then?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:42:15 »
You're right :) I shouldn't remove it, and love finding them in other games.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 13:34:41 »
I wouldn't add an achievement for that either, but not remove it is the best thing to do.

The best thing, if there's a modification, would be to make Nifflas popup there and say: Hey what is happening? This is not supposed to happen! You broke the game. Hmm... I'll fix it. Then it warps you back. If you try it again, nifflas pops up again and says: Hmm... still not fixed... oh well. Congrats on the find anyway. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 18:13:07 »
I did some investigating and was able to find one more place this works. I have no idea if there are others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jHijtRWfmo

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 18:48:43 »
oh wow...

Seriously! Wow.

:hiddenstar: from me for that find. Thats amazing.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline ElMirador

• TuT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:29:47 »
I did some investigating and was able to find one more place this works. I have no idea if there are others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jHijtRWfmo

Wow, I'll give that a try :)

...aaaaand here's my result:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:40:50 by ElMirador »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 01:53:18 »
Nice find too!