TheYeIIowDucK's KS Level Dump

• 28 Replies
Re: TheYeIIowDucK's KS Level Dump
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 20:25:30 »
I'd thank you for this, but my chances are canned.
As far as I know, from torrents, I'm banned.
If someone could give me a link to a few
I'd love to see an old level or two,
My collection is oh so terribly bland.

I've started working on a step-by-step guide to using and customising µTorrent but, in the meantime, you could try downloading the latest version (µTorrent Stable (3.3.1 build 30017) on the µTorrent downloads page). The website also includes a number of FAQs.

It's not a question of not knowing how to use a torrent, it's a question of not being able to use a torrent for information security reasons; security options are not always fully controlled by the end users. Unless someone makes these available in a way that does not involve, in any way, using peer-to-peer file sharing, I (and others) won't be able to gain access to these levels.

Could someone upload them to a hosting site (preferrably knyttlevels.com), please?
I've never meta pun I didn't like.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 21:18:15 »
I have good news and bad news, and maybe-good news.

The good news is that someone did indeed seed the torrent, and I was able to download all the level folders I'd selected.

The bad news is that many of the levels have something wrong with them that renders them unplayable; specifically, their level maps are empty, though the cutscenes, tilesets, audio files etc. are intact in their folders. It's quite disconcerting to see a well-done info screen, an intriguing set of intro-cutscene images, and then Juni falling endlessly through the void...

The maybe-good news is that I have no qualms about uploading the levels not already on knyttlevels.com to knyttlevels.com... IF LPChip (who maintains the level archive) has no objections. I'd also be willing to upload them elsewhere if LPChip says no and someone else has server space to offer.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 22:21:43 »
I have no objection, but I'm not the one who hosts the level archive, but Jace is.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 22:29:11 »
Its point is to host Knytt Stories levels. I can't see a problem with uploading Knytt Stories levels on to it.

If ther's anyone who'd oppose to it would possibly be whoever made the levels, if they don't want 'em on the page for a reason or another.

But as for me, I don't have a problem with it.
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 22:48:45 »
(Sorry for the mix-up, Jace & LPChip! I guess I drew the wrong inference from the fact that LPChip hosts the forums and is the one working on the overhaul of the knyttlevels interface.)

Well, it sounds like it's open season. Anybody who has (working, ideally) copies of levels that are not yet up on the archive can upload at will. Whee!

Personally, I'm particularly hoping for copies of googoogjoob's levels, some of which I've never had the chance to play.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 21:09:23 »
Double-posting for the bump.

It looks like the specific problem with the levels that came out of the torrent unplayable is that their Map.bin files are corrupted. The filesizes are correct; nothing else in the folder seems to be missing or damaged; and replacing a "bad" Map.bin with a "good" copy (from knyttlevels or wherever) renders the level playable again without anything else needing to be changed.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, either with the TYIID torrent or with other download sources? If there's reason to think the Map.bin files were somehow damaged during the process of my downloading them, I'll just re-download. If the torrent's copies themselves are bad, though...

(BTW, thanks to whoever anonymously seeded the torrent for me the other day. Hopefully that wasn't itself the source of the file corruptions.)

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Santicol

• Knytt is awesome, and that's all I got to say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 02:49:03 »
Double-posting for the bump.

It looks like the specific problem with the levels that came out of the torrent unplayable is that their Map.bin files are corrupted. The filesizes are correct; nothing else in the folder seems to be missing or damaged; and replacing a "bad" Map.bin with a "good" copy (from knyttlevels or wherever) renders the level playable again without anything else needing to be changed.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, either with the TYIID torrent or with other download sources? If there's reason to think the Map.bin files were somehow damaged during the process of my downloading them, I'll just re-download. If the torrent's copies themselves are bad, though...

(BTW, thanks to whoever anonymously seeded the torrent for me the other day. Hopefully that wasn't itself the source of the file corruptions.)

I've indeed encountered that issue too. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
PC Specs
Processor: AMD A8-3520M (Equivalent to a i5 Intel Core)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
RAM: 5.6 GB

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 04:30:34 »
Okay so, in the interests of being helpful, I compiled a list of levels I couldn't find on the archive, so that we could beg people to reupload them. Should we make a new thread, or something? Even as just a general, "This level is missing, can we have it back?" for any Knytt Stories level?

List:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Some of the games I did find weren't under the correct author, which in turn means that some of the games I didn't find might not be under the correct name. Or misfiled entirely. So if that's the case, it would be awesome to know so I can add that one in. Still though, it's nice that only some 61 games are missing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:40:39 by Star_Kindler »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 07:34:39 »
I'm pretty sure Flipping Out is on the archive; at least, Dessgeega links to it in her Recommended Reading list.

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 08:43:13 »
I have corrected it. I'm still looking for input as to whether or not we should have a thread requesting the rest of the uploads to the rest of the subforum -- after all, plenty of people with these levels may not ever read this particular one.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 22:48:45 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

There are more than that available, and I'm sorry it's such a mess, but I'm dying for a cigarette and all this information is available in the OP where I already typed it all!  :moody:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 23:13:13 by Widget »

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 00:46:57 »
There are more than that available, and I'm sorry it's such a mess, but I'm dying for a cigarette and all this information is available in the OP where I already typed it all!  :moody:

Oh gosh I feel really stupid now. I didn't even see the "DDL"'s next to the entries in the lists. I'm sorry.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 01:30:13 »
You needn't be, that was mostly the nicotine withdrawal talking. It's easy to miss things with the ropey formatting in those posts; it would be easier without the nested spoilers and crowds of notes but with such a large list the first page would become a nightmare to scroll through.

Levels with titles in black or blue should have alternate download locations. The levels with purple titles are the ones for which I couldn't find any alternate source.

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 20:39:58 »
Hey, so uh. The download links for this pack have died years ago, but THANKFULLY I've had a copy on my hard drive from a year or so ago that includes all the levels.

So, I've done my due diligence and rehosted them on MEGA. Download here.

Let me know if it goes down again. Also -- if an admin wants to move the thread and/or edit the first post, feel free.