TheYeIIowDucK's KS Level Dump

• 28 Replies

Offline Widget

• View Profile
TheYeIIowDucK's KS Level Dump
« on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:14 »
A couple of years ago, TheYeIIowDucK compiled a .torrent of his sizeable KS Level collection and shared it here.(OT) There are a lot of interesting levels in the collection (including a couple dozen I thought were exceptionally good) and over fifty that are no longer available anywhere else.
Should you find this torrent useful (or interesting, or entertaining) please consider giving TheYeIIowDucK a . So as to simplify the process, clicking through this link will award him an exceptionally well deserved star for the original Levels' Dump thread and .torrent.

[Download Link]: Epic Old Knytt Stories Levels Dump

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 20:56:25 by Widget »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: TheYeIIowDucK's KS Level Dump
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:28 »

Spoiler: Formatting Key (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Using a .torrent file (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:59:18 by Widget »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:44 »
[06\09\13]: Since the index lists are now divided into relatively manageable chunks (as opposed to the old, 85-level 'Spoiler-monsters') I've started re-reading them and liberally adding notes to any entries where I think they might add some value, interest or utility. I'm particularly keen to add any comments by Authors about their own levels (e.g. Firecat's opinion on File corruption).
Though I made an attempt to write the note for File corruption myself, based on Firecat's comment, I'd be more than happy to paste in submitted notes verbatim. Any entries without a note from the author him- or herself (Including entries to which I've already added a note) are fair game for anyone's relevant note suggestions (It'd be great to dilute my own comments and opinions in order, one hopes, to make the notes more reflective of the community's collective opinions).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:07:36 by Widget »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:53 »
[Reserved]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:48:58 by Widget »

Offline Tablecat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:15:42 »
I'd thank you for this, but my chances are canned.
As far as I know, from torrents, I'm banned.
If someone could give me a link to a few
I'd love to see an old level or two,
My collection is oh so terribly bland.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 20:56:55 »
File corruption by Firecat

Got to love how the only one of my levels present on this compilation is the one i regret doing the most.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 21:57:43 »
[ITA84 - Pastime]
[Challenge] [Easy\Normal] [Small]
(DDL) Speed up by MILOSH

If I remember correctly, Milosh's "Speed up" level had the wrong folder name, that's why it shows "Pastime" instead; it has nothing to do with "Pastime".
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline zodar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 00:45:00 »
I'm having a problem that a user in the previous thread had: whenever I try to load one of these levels, I find myself falling through an infinite purple void. I'm guessing that Knytt Stories.exe is failing to load the data of the levels, but I'm at a loss as to fixing this. I installed them by dragging the contents of the "Epic Knytt Stories Level Dump" folder into "Worlds."

Any help would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 00:50:33 by zodar »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 01:05:25 »
Are the level folders you're testing 100% downloaded?

Offline zodar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 02:17:52 »
Everything in the torrent was downloaded 100%.

Playing knytt levels that were installed from .bin files still works fine, it's the contents of the torrent that don't work.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 02:32:40 »
I'd thank you for this, but my chances are canned.
As far as I know, from torrents, I'm banned.
If someone could give me a link to a few
I'd love to see an old level or two,
My collection is oh so terribly bland.

I've started working on a step-by-step guide to using and customising µTorrent but, in the meantime, you could try downloading the latest version (µTorrent Stable (3.3.1 build 30017) on the µTorrent downloads page). The website also includes a number of FAQs.

If I remember correctly, Milosh's "Speed up" level had the wrong folder name, that's why it shows "Pastime" instead; it has nothing to do with "Pastime".

I'd personally love to be able to correct that but the only reason I've included the folder titles is so the levels can be identified without having to check the world.ini or load them in KS. There are a few entries, like Milosh's, that are mislabelled in that way, so I decided to use the [Level Folder's Title] to identify the entry and the LevelName and Author to give the accurate information.

Got to love how the only one of my levels present on this compilation is the one i regret doing the most.

I can't really remove it unless the community as a whole goes for the idea of reworking the torrent. If you'd like, though, I can certainly change the note to explain that it's a level you don't consider to be good enough to represent your work (or to say just about anything you'd like it to).

I'm having a problem that a user in the previous thread had: whenever I try to load one of these levels, I find myself falling through an infinite purple void. I'm guessing that Knytt Stories.exe is failing to load the data of the levels, but I'm at a loss as to fixing this. I installed them by dragging the contents of the "Epic Knytt Stories Level Dump" folder into "Worlds."

Any help would be appreciated!

Could you possibly give a list of the levels you've had problems with? Some of the levels in this torrent are incomplete to the point that they won't run at all, and some will load but then prove impossible to play due to varying degrees of errors/bugs.
In the meantime, if it's a level that has a (DDL) by it's entry, or a thread (i.e. the level's title is a link you can click on), you could download the .knytt.bin for that level to check whether it's the level itself or just the version in the torrent.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 09:10:42 »
I'd personally love to be able to correct that but the only reason I've included the folder titles is so the levels can be identified without having to check the world.ini or load them in KS. There are a few entries, like Milosh's, that are mislabelled in that way, so I decided to use the [Level Folder's Title] to identify the entry and the LevelName and Author to give the accurate information.

Oh, I didn't really want you to fix it or anything, I just pointed it out. The problem stood out for me because in your list the levels are sorted by level folder name, so "Speed up" appears in the I group instead of M. I know there are quite a few levels with similar problems, and the correct level name may be either one, so there's no general rule to apply (knyttlevels.com uses the .ini name, I figure because that's where the version number is usually included for modified levels).

Great job, by the way! C)
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 09:53:42 »
Oh, I didn't really want you to fix it or anything, I just pointed it out. The problem stood out for me because in your list the levels are sorted by level folder name, so "Speed up" appears in the I group instead of M. I know there are quite a few levels with similar problems, and the correct level name may be either one, so there's no general rule to apply (knyttlevels.com uses the .ini name, I figure because that's where the version number is usually included for modified levels).
I'd organised the list in this fashion to make it as easy as possible to use as an index for TheYeIIowDucK's torrent; I didn't stop to think about how useful it would be for any other purpose (e.g. to check for a specific level, or compare to another collection). I could add a comment to that level (and other's like it) if it would help make clear what the folder "should" have been called. In fact, if anyone thinks the index could be improved in any way, I'd love to get some more points of view on other aspects aswell.
[Edit]: Come to think of it, I could try to come up with a format for a "dummy" entry, so that the folders mismatched with their levels would appear under both letters (although not counted for the subtotal and possibly just pointing to the main entry).

Great job, by the way! C)
Thankyou very much. I just hope I'm not stepping on too many toes with this; it feels a little like swooping in to steal credit for the work of TheYeIIowDucK and the levels' authors :oops:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:54:46 by Widget »

Offline TheYeIIowDucK

• The number you have dialed is no longer in service
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 22:12:54 »
Holy fuck who would've thought

The first time I got on Nifflas' forums in months (if not years) and I'm greeted by this thread

I completely forgot about that pack, hah

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 00:14:31 »
Can anybody who still has these seed the torrent? Or, alternately -- since I only need about half the levels in YeLLowDuck's original torrent -- offer some other way to get the levels that were in the torrent but still aren't up at KnyttLevels?

Actually, it's eggplant.