[Intermediate][Extreme][Puzzle\Miscellaneous\Maze] Define

• 56 Replies

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
[Intermediate][Extreme][Puzzle\Miscellaneous\Maze] Define
« on: August 18, 2013, 09:00:43 »
Okay. Here is the culmination of a little more than a year's worth of effort. It's what I mentioned elsewhere under a Hebrew name.
The final screen count is 4744, making up 310 levels in this... level.
It took me about 2 and a half hours to finish playing it, it took a couple friends some indeterminate amount of days. My sister is clocked at over 10 hours right now.

This is primarily a puzzle game. If you've played the trash can BLOCKS game in Too Much Soda, it's kind of like that but way better in every way. If you haven't, play this anyway.
There is a story that goes along with it, very illegible, but a friend likes to call them "cutescenes" and I decided that's indeed what they are.
Anyway.

:juni:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5y3d1b7t246d331/KG_-_Define.knytt.bin

Unfortunately, it seems that having such a large amount of things in it gives it a loading time. So don't freak out if Knytt Stories doesn't immediately respond when you start it, it's just loading. Yeah if anyone was wondering what happens when you have a big level, apparently that.

Oh, and there are four endings. One "bad end", one "good end", and two literal side-by-side other endings. If you get all of those, you probably found everything there is in the game, which is generally straightforward. Uh, in a sense anyway.

Edit: Oh 2, an important thing I forgot. Don't try to play this all in one sitting. Not only is it a long game, it also acts weird if you play it for too long. Specifically, the custom objects freak out and stop working.
If that does happen, or if you suddenly drop down in infinite nothingness (which I think is a byproduct of the aforementioned issue somehow?), turn off the game and then turn it on again. Yeah like what the guy says in the IT Crowd.

Edit 2:
I decided to make some very minor adjustments, and now here is a version that is slightly less difficult in like... six or seven spots, but more notably it's easier to see which blocks are deadly because their letters are tinted red.
:juni:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/egd0wlsc8bzhdjo/KG_-_Define_-_Easy_R.knytt.bin/file
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:15:32 by KG »

Offline Well

• View Profile
    • hi im the well
Re: [Intermediate][Extreme][Puzzle\Miscellaneous\Maze] Define
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:06:01 »
The amount of effort put into this level is absurd.
Only a fool or a belligerent child would ignore a KG level normally, but passing up this level here is beyond excuse. Please don't do that to yourself, you deserve better.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:58:04 »
Damn it, KG! It's 4 AM here and you couldn't have waited to be awesome just another few hours?! D:
Now I've gotta play this awesome level and further deprive myself of sleep. UGH!

...But really, I'm definitely downloading this. Installing it, and I'll play it tomorrow. :3

EDIT: Sleep is for the weak! And this is -amazing-! You've really put a ton of effort into this! I do have to wait for the game to load for about...eh, a minute before it kicks in, but that's a minor distraction. Haven't gotten too far.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 13:35:53 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 19:57:42 »
Damn it, KG! It's 4 AM here and you couldn't have waited to be awesome just another few hours?! D:
I am awesome ALL the time, like totally.
Haha yeah right. But anyway Pumpkinbot you're always nice to see.

Like I mentioned earlier, the story is actually illegible. The text is just me writing in very cramped cursive with a mouse in MS Paint. That said, there is a story, but I feel like it's easier to interpret what's going on yourself.

Oh, but otherwise, the text that isn't that is the same as the cipher I used in Too Much Soda's BLOCKS game, just backwards. It's mostly not important, just telling you what level or area you're on.
Except during the tutorial area, where it's explaining such fascinating things as the S key is used to jump or ctrl R is used to restart or "YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU BELIEVE IN YOURSELF" (screenshot 2).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 20:00:21 by KG »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 20:44:54 »
Still not finished but must write something...
Best puzzle level I've played. Really original. And I like your gradients.  :hiddenstar:

Offline Ghost

• Cthulhu is my co-pilot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 01:15:28 »
I support Barast's political agenda

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 03:54:55 »
words
So no surprise deep meaning halfway through? :P

But yeah, this level is -fantastic-. Turning a platforming game into a block puzzle game. Wat.
It's like if I hacked Mario World and turned it into a SHMUP.

What I really do like about this level is that it's easy to learn what to do in the game by just playing it. No need for someone to pop up and start shouting "MEGAMAN! MEGAMAN! YOU GOTTA PRESS DOWN ON THAT BLOCK!!" Instead, you're shown a bunch of light colored blocks for the most part, then suddenly WOAH, why is that one blue? Lemme investigate!

I don't know why I didn't give you a star last night, but you definitely deserve one. :3

EDIT: Oh, and if I could give two stars in one day, I'd give you another for the Totaka's Song at the beginning alone~
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 04:51:37 »
Still not finished but must write something...
Best puzzle level I've played. Really original. And I like your gradients.  :hiddenstar:
Thanks Polana.

words
So no surprise deep meaning halfway through? :P
I didn't say that! Uh, but, if there is meaning, it doesn't go too deep I think, and it isn't clear until final parallel ending 2. Probably.

What I really do like about this level is that it's easy to learn what to do in the game by just playing it. No need for someone to pop up and start shouting "MEGAMAN! MEGAMAN! YOU GOTTA PRESS DOWN ON THAT BLOCK!!" Instead, you're shown a bunch of light colored blocks for the most part, then suddenly WOAH, why is that one blue? Lemme investigate!
Thank you.
Though, haha, you say that now, but soon you'll probably be wanting a strategy guide or something like. To that I say there is potentially a helpful folder in Define's world folder. But more likely it'll just confuse people so maybe not.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 16:12:32 »
I hate to keep begging for mirror links, but I still can't get mediafire to work.  Would someone mind doing a mirror, pwwweeeeese?

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 17:32:14 »
I hate to keep begging for mirror links, but I still can't get mediafire to work.  Would someone mind doing a mirror, pwwweeeeese?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/53up2552ikv4y9q/KG%20-%20Define.knytt.bin

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 17:46:38 »
Thank you thank you.  I've been working on the mediafire thing and nothing I try helps.  >:(

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 00:26:04 »
I forgot to mention another thing that sometimes happens when you play for too long. Edited the initial post.

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 20:08:04 »
my guy drops into a box and then just sits there.... nothing responds. What am I doing wrong? Knytt Stories 1.2ego. Thanks!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 23:16:14 »
my guy drops into a box and then just sits there.... nothing responds. What am I doing wrong? Knytt Stories 1.2ego. Thanks!
You're playing with an old version of my mod. Get the latest version or play with the official version 1.2.1. I'm sure this was made for the official version so that's probably a good bet. I've been playing on KS+ without problems, but I haven't gotten very far.

Edit: By the way, KG, this is probably the best KS puzzle level ever.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 23:19:00 by egomassive »

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 23:43:10 »
got it, thanks!