Free download - Knytt Underground soundtrack!

• 17 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Free download - Knytt Underground soundtrack!
« on: August 15, 2013, 03:53:23 »
So, I'm about to release the soundtrack tomorrow. Is everything okay with this download, or is there something that needs changing?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Free download - Knytt Underground soundtrack!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:41:28 »
Looks okay to me. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:24:18 »
I haven't heard any issues with the music, but there's five hours of material there to listen to so there could be problems I haven't heard. So far, I love the way you've handled converting the dynamic music, and the ridiculous amount of new material included just for this format. I have mixed feelings about the mid-track transition for 'Having Fun Fun Fun Fun Fun', specifically the abrupt stop to the background noise, but I'm guessing it is as you intended.

The cover art is very nice, I especially like that there is a unique (and appropriate) image for each folder.

Here are some mostly personal issues I have with the tagging:

• Berliner Bratwurst, which is Track 13 of Folder 3 (Upbeat), has the artist and title fields reversed in the tag. The filename is correct, though.

• I saw you talk about this on Twitter already, but for compatibility with MP3 players, you should assign an Album Artist to all tracks that is the same for every track. If you don't want to use 'Nicklas 'Nifflas' Nygren' for tracks you didn't create, you could instead use something like 'Nifflas & Friends' or 'Nifflas' Games' for every track.

• Also with MP3 players in mind, I think it could be preferable to set the album field to just 'Knytt Underground' for folders 2-6 so that it is the same for all 121 tracks, and make use of the 'Disc #' field to indicate with folder a song is from. The format I have most often seen used for this field is 'CurrentDisc#/TotalDisc#'. For example, 'Fast Travel Inside Dreams' would retain the track number of '02', but additionally contain the disc number '5/6'. This would hopefully ensure all the tracks are grouped together but in the correct order... perhaps you wish to distance the other folders from the main soundtrack, but I feel the current method is kind of cluttered. No problems if you decide this method is not for you.

I will continue to listen, and report anything else I think of!

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 13:20:10 »
Ogg Vorbis? :3
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 16:50:12 »
MP3 version is up with some things fixed. Maybe I'll make an update with sergiocornaga's third advice too. I'd like to get a flac and ogg version up too. Oh, and it's officially released now, so if you want, please help me spread the news on twitter/reddit/facebook and such, maybe it can help the Greenlight process and direct some more attention towards the game. The front page on nifflas.ni2.se contains the download link!

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 19:16:02 »
This is great! I really like some of the music, but I had to merge the layers in Audacity to listen to it, which was inconvenient.  :)

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 20:10:13 »
This is great! I really like some of the music, but I had to merge the layers in Audacity to listen to it, which was inconvenient.  :)

What do you mean by merge the layers in audacity to listen? This should be the final deal, no need to merge anything.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 20:23:17 »
Sorry, I meant to say that I used to have to merge the layers. Now I am very pleased not to have to!  :)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 15:02:27 »
The Underwater Lab Tune in soundtrack seems the same as it was in WaDF, but I remember in the game it sounded significantly improved. Perhaps it's missing other layers?

Thank you!

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 15:33:41 »
The Underwater Lab Tune in soundtrack seems the same as it was in WaDF, but I remember in the game it sounded significantly improved. Perhaps it's missing other layers?

Thank you!

No. The underwater lab tune is as it should. It was the first one I checked from the soundtrack because its a good one. The original WaDF one is a shorter version that loops. this one has much more involved. Note there are 2 versions, the alternate version is from a different area of the game which shows nothing of the WaDF part.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 12:58:24 »
I absolutely love Trolls and Leaves! Makes me want to play the game all over again. Thanks so much for releasing this, and for free too!
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 05:44:55 »
Pretty excited that the PlayStation Store has the soundtrack for free as well.  Takes a millennia for the ps3 to install it however.  Way to ruin everything Sony!  The picture that is up while installing is sweet though.  Thanks to all involved!  The music is so absolutely wonderful!!
And if I could be bothered I would think of a better lie but I don't like you enough to even try.

Offline Boon

• A longtime-lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 15:09:36 »
Did you use a song name generator for some of these??
Smacked in the face by nostalgia.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 05:03:32 »
Did you use a song name generator for some of these??

The songs from Figure Space retain the titles automatically generated by Figure, the application they were made in. Other than that, I'm not sure!

Offline Knyttster

• Oh, look at this, it's my personal text!
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 20:52:24 »
Oh man I can't thank you enough for releasing this. A lot of your music and DFast's are what really inspired me to get into music (along with Disasterpeace's FEZ and Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 22:19:28 by Knyttster »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)