Foggy village

• 9 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Foggy village
« on: August 08, 2013, 03:20:04 »
So, as I mentioned in the Knytt Stories Forum, I'm looking for home or town tilesets.  I haven't really found what I want, so I'm experimenting.  The first pic is a tileset that is suppose to be a kind of still, foggy town at night, something of the psychology of a silent hill 2 but without all the blood and death.  The second pic is a sketch I did to get ideas for the tileset.

How does this look to you guys? 

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
Re: Foggy village
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 16:36:03 »
I don't really see a thing. It is too dark. Well, the second screenshot looks like a cool background.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 17:24:06 »
I agree with ixMarcel, the first screenshot looks like somekind of hill, and if I really really look closely (aka change my saturatioin of my monitor) it appears to actually have houses and stuff. Who knew!

So yeah, you need to make them brighter and add more contrast.

If you are on windows7, you might want to run a display calibration to get your monitor set right. That way, things are no longer too bright for you or too dark for others.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 21:37:12 »
I'm on a laptop and don't really have many screen calibration options, but his screenshots look fine to me.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 23:39:54 »
I think they look good. The second image doesn't look abandoned enough with the lights on in all the buildings. If you want a foggy town effect, then Nifflas made a really good one in A Strange Dream (see image.) It's easy to make and use. Depth is convincing because distant object are lost in the fog. For a night time adaptation, you could incorporate the lighting effects of Quincent Cartographer's A Walk at Night.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 23:46:58 »
Oooo... that is much closer me thinks.  Funny, I don't remember that from A Strange Dream, but then it has been like 5 years since I played it. 

I'm not sure what the problem is with it being too dark for some of you.  I'm using my lap top, and while I do tend to turn the brightness all the way up, it doesn't seem to overly wash anything out.  Don't know, but I'll take it into consideration that it is probably too dark.  Thanks!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 13:01:02 »
Windows by default can be brighter. Its all about the screen attached. Every screen is different. Some do something with the saturation to make things look brighter, but when you calibrate your screen, then you find out it was too bright. Luckily in windows you can compensate for that.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 00:07:00 »
I've been caught out by this; I had to make some tilesets of 'I Dreamed of the Sky' darker during testing for the sake of those people with their monitors set too dark (those foolish too-dark-monitor-people! Clearly they are wrong and we are right!)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 04:36:36 »
I just find it weird that in order to that tileset become dark enough to not make out most structures I would have to make my screen really, really dark or mess with the color settings in such a way I don't even understand how someone could see most things on their screen at any time...

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 15:41:26 »
I think the problem is an issue of contrast. Better monitors have darker blacks and brighter whites even when both are on screen simultaneously. Laptops usually have back-lit LCDs. The lights are always on, and dark colors get brightened because of it. (Now, I'm wondering about the intentionally overly dark parts of my Features Demonstration.)