best city and house tilesets

• 5 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
best city and house tilesets
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:24:14 »
So I'm kinda wanting to try my hand at a level with a story similar to Silent Hill 2 but without the gore and gratuitous killing... just the psychodyamics of several character's pasts and complexes becoming physical in a seemingly abandoned town.  It's a series who's story telling I've admired in spite of a slight distaste for horror.  Haunting psychological manifestations are always fantastic though.

But I've been spending 98% of my recent creative time making tilesets for another level and I'm burned out on it for now.  Could I get some suggestions on tilesets for towns and houses that are atmospheric, abandoned, and perhaps aged and or in ruins?  Or some tilesets I could adapt a bit, though again I'm pretty tired of tileset making right now.  The abandoned lab (name?) tileset from the default sets actually has some promise though I don't like the large scale, and I was looking at Quincent Cartographers city tileset for A Walk At Night too.  Maybe Marine by Jerom or a mod of it too (which I've already made actually).

Or anyone feel up to the challenge of making such a tileset???

Thanks guys!

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
Re: best city and house tilesets
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 17:43:32 »
http://www.mediafire.com/?zodmyogmkej
That linked zip i quoted contains a few of the tilesets people of the foum made before a database error caused the forum to restart, they include tilesets by AlmightyZenTaco that are widely used for city areas and "Lost Vegas" by Johnny Chthonic.

also i found "Dark city streets" by Vegetal Gibber and A M Smith's "Forgotten Tower". But i doubt the latter is allowed for public use.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 00:29:52 »
Thanks!  Need to get a rar decompresser, but thanks for the response. 

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 05:07:04 »
... Need to get a rar decompresser, ...
I recommend 7 Zip. It's free and safe. Just be sure to get an official download.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:01:10 »
There are several Old city tilesets by Orion, for every season and one with furniture.
I think (but I'm not sure about it) that Kohdi has recently released his/her (don't know that guy) tilesets fro Return to Riku, there is nice old city.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 23:15:12 »
Yeah, I found the Orion ones in the rar file.  I think will need to do some editing to satisfy my standards, but the Orion ones actually come very close to what I'm wanting.