[Environmental/Misc][Large][Easy] Vanilla (Finished!)

• 15 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
[Environmental/Misc][Large][Easy] Vanilla (Finished!)
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:45 »
Vanilla is a project of mine I've been working on for a while. It's about taking every default tileset and creating one screen of it and combining them all in a sort of gallery. I started working on it about a year ago before giving up around Nurykabe's tilesets. Go figure. I picked it back up a few months later and I'm now halfway through at 128, and I decided this is a good time to make it public and release a demo.

Not all of the screens are finalized, since there's a few I'm not happy with (though I blame the tilesets themselves sometimes...), but those are few and far between. I could probably count them on one hand.

There's also a warp room that lets you warp to every tenth level. The design of it's not yet finalized, though I do like using Tileset 0 for it~

Post any glitches you find, any SGEs, any words of advice at all!

Mediafire Download
Filedropper Download
Spoiler: Version Differences (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:14:32 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Misc][Large][Easy] Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 00:28:01 »
Very nice,so far! Really impressed.  :D
I like how it's gonna be a way to browse through tilesets for anyone too bored for the level editor,and it's very good to be seeing very smart uses of tilestes.

Yeah,there are problems.Many tilesets are just a huge mess by themselves,and some look ugly.Not ugly enough to stop you,though!
Also,give us the high jump.I don't know if this is a mistake,or you didn't playtest,but some screens (all after 50,iirc) are impossible to get through from the "normal" way.You have to move back from the next checkpoint at these cases,but its a problem with an easy solution,the high jump(or edit the level a bit)

You should definetly continue this! It's really fun!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:06:16 »
Very nice,so far! Really impressed.  :D
I like how it's gonna be a way to browse through tilesets for anyone too bored for the level editor,and it's very good to be seeing very smart uses of tilestes.

Yeah,there are problems.Many tilesets are just a huge mess by themselves,and some look ugly.Not ugly enough to stop you,though!
Also,give us the high jump.I don't know if this is a mistake,or you didn't playtest,but some screens (all after 50,iirc) are impossible to get through from the "normal" way.You have to move back from the next checkpoint at these cases,but its a problem with an easy solution,the high jump(or edit the level a bit)

You should definetly continue this! It's really fun!
Bah, yeah, I forgot to give the player the high jump power up. >.< Early on, it was just supposed to be run and climb, but I added high jump around tileset 100 or so and edited the previous tilesets to clean up any potential wallswims or voids as needed.

Uploading a fixed version in a sec!

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 02:17:05 »
I'd like to play but mediafire has it's hate on for me again
Ech. How so? I could try to upload it somewhere else, but Mediafire really is the best place I know of.
* Pumpkinbot plays a tiny violin for the loss of Megaupload.

EDIT: Uploaded it onto Filedropper! Hooray for mirrors!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:18:38 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:31:35 »
Don't despair, Megaupload rose from the ashes as Mega.co.nz :)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:53:44 »
Don't despair, Megaupload rose from the ashes as Mega.co.nz :)
Really? :v Ah, well I still do prefer Mediafire. And Filedropper's not bad, either, I suppose, so I'll just upload them to those two.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 16:24:00 »
I was expecting this to be an uninteresting mess, but I was wrong. Some screens and transitions are surprisingly creative. There's impressively good use of the most difficult tilesets. Screen after screen, you're creating a catalog of how these tilesets were probably intended to be used which is not always easy to figure out. If anything, I'd like to hear ambiance in the finished version. Keep up the good work. *gives star*

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 21:54:01 »
I was expecting this to be an uninteresting mess, but I was wrong. Some screens and transitions are surprisingly creative. There's impressively good use of the most difficult tilesets. Screen after screen, you're creating a catalog of how these tilesets were probably intended to be used which is not always easy to figure out. If anything, I'd like to hear ambiance in the finished version. Keep up the good work. *gives star*
Aww, thanks! And I do plan on adding some sort of sound to the end project, though I left it out of the beta because I really don't know if I should use custom music and have much more to choose from, or use the vanilla music to stay true to the point of the whole thing.

I might just use the custom ambiance to add -some- sort of noise. Maybe pepper some songs in occasionally, I dunno.

And you have no idea how much trouble Nurykabe's tilesets gave me. :sigh: Even with the example screens Nurykabe himself posted a while ago, I still had one hell of a time on ones like Autonome (7 and 8 ) and Pages (16), heh.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 21:57:51 by Pumpkinbot »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 02:30:50 »
Yeah, that link works.  I have no idea what the deal is with mediafire, but only 1 out of every 10 mediafire links work for me.  :/

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 00:16:28 »
 Just a bit of an update! Got back from camping all week, and I'm at tileset 160. I'm making pretty decent progress despite being gone camping, and I should be getting back into it soon.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 00:35:59 »
By the way, I like what I've seen so far!  It's an ambitious, helpful, and interesting project.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:49 »
By the way, I like what I've seen so far!  It's an ambitious, helpful, and interesting project.
Oh, thanks! x3 I'm actually messing around with it right now, heh.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 00:49:44 »
Unfortunately I don't have time to try the beta and give feedback but I do look forward to the full release. Great idea for a level. :)

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 12:53:55 »
I tried it. Some screens are gorgeous, some are worse - but it depends on tileset.
I remember there's similar level by Saba. I tried to make something like this several years ago but I abandoned it, so the idea is not unique. But I liked it and I thing it might be useful to see some less frequent tilesets in use.