[Challenge][Lunatic] - Caged In

• 22 Replies

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
[Challenge][Lunatic] - Caged In
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:36:51 »
Just because you think you know someone, doesn't mean you actually do... Not until you dig a little deeper into their psyche, that is.  What they've done, who they've done it to.  You'd never know about some people....

Well, here it is for all of you good people!  It isn't very long or anything, short and to the point, I guess.  There is a secret area somewhere if you feel so inclined to locate it.  I wanted to make this a lot bigger than it is and include different endings and such.  But man, I don't have the time to even work on something this small! 

Anyhoo!  Do your best to enjoy it! :)

Screenshots located at http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=6019.0

Teeeheee

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge][Lunatic] - Caged In
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 15:52:35 »
Can't wait to play this when I get home tonight! Looks great!

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 16:37:03 »
Fun challenges, though the music loop got really annoying in the first challenge screen so I was glad for the brief respite from it that the secret area provided (the secret area was cool but I felt that its mood was really too different from that of the rest of the level). Ending was disappointingly miserable, which is a shame 'cus I did enjoy it until then; the end will put a lot of people off liking it, I think.
However, graphics were really nice and worked well. Your COs were great. In-game cutscenes were well-made and looked very cool.

Apart from the music and the miserable ending, it was a fun, slick little level. Chance of redemption, please!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 22:31:03 »
Good level. The challenges were too difficult for my liking. I couldn't pass the very last part without cheating, but it's lunatic so I'm surprised I passed any of it. Haven't found the secret yet. The design and the story telling were well done. I thought the ending was acceptable.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 02:12:42 »
Thanks, guys!

Talps, all my secret areas in any of my levels (at least the ones with secret areas, which might be all of them besides Insurance) are usually lighthearted or a breath of fresh air from the story of the game.  I dunno, I always thought that's what a secret area should be.  :)  And the ending is the way it is for a couple of reasons:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

egomassive,

So yeah!  :)  Thanks again guys!
Teeeheee

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 14:00:25 »
How in the name of BAGELS do you get past the screen with the red spikey thing that chases you? Normally I'm good at challenges like that, but nothing I try will get me up the first section.
I've never meta pun I didn't like.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 14:47:17 »
Are you talking about the first red spikey screen?  That one just takes speed and precision. If you're talking about the second one, a little patience will go a long way at the very start of the screen. And the third is a mixture of both. :)
Teeeheee

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 16:08:50 »
How in the name of BAGELS do you get past the screen with the red spikey thing that chases you? Normally I'm good at challenges like that, but nothing I try will get me up the first section.
Jump repeatedly to climb faster. Also it might help to wait for the thing to get close to you before going back up in those parts where you keep going up and down.

I think this was the first lunatic level I ever completed without cheating, I'm quite proud, even though I died like 50 times.

Really liked this level, actually think it was the right length, I'd probably give up if it was much longer. My favorite sections where the "red spikey things" rooms, there was just so much tension when that bloody thing was 2 pixels away from Adriana, I almost destroyed my S key from too much jumping :P And I especially enjoyed this one, it required both speed and perfect timing.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 17:57:05 »
Hello, James!  Glad to see you are making levels again!

This level was a bit shorter than I thought it would be, and while some of the challenges were indeed head-bashingly hard, I got through most of them pretty quickly.
The message is one that resonates with me personally, though I have never made a mistake so huge it ruined someone's life. (and I hope I never will)

On a lighter note, I will say that:

Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 19:48:59 »
Raicuparta, I think the red spikey things were my favorite rooms as well.  Although, I really enjoyed the first room as well.  I'm glad you enjoyed it and felt the need to finish it!  Makes me proud my level is interesting enough to warrant people to finish it. :)

Fubaka, if I do make another level, it wont be for a long while.  I dunno, I just felt the need out of nowhere to make a KS level just because.  Maybe I wanted an outlet to push a story out or something.  :)  Yeah, I was going to make it longer, but I knew I wasn't going to have enough time to actually finish it, so this is what came out of the huge story I had planned, lol.  And remember, mistakes are only mistakes if you don't learn from them.  Learning experiences :D  And yeah, I always thought the same thing as you and was waiting for someone to bring it up, lol.  Even with Lament where the CO first made an appearance I always thought, all she's gotta do is jump through the holes!  XD
Teeeheee

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:50:24 »
Played it through no problem, no cheating. I LOVED the auto-saves and the frequent saves, THANK YOU for that. Too often do people put saves further apart in order to increase "challenge" when in reality that just increases player stress.

The Red Spikies weren't too hard for me, but then again, I play Monochromatic Gotta as my usual Knytt Stories warmup.

The story was certainly Emo, but that's fine, I liked it enough. I loved the evil, dreadful feel of the entire level... there's not enough of that in KS. Take a star.

EDIT: Found the secret, and liked it. Only wish it didn't end so soon! Maybe make leaving the secret level optional?

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 13:56:41 »
pfrangip,

A Lunatic level (or any level for that matter) shouldn't be based on "Oh man, you have to do this whole section without messing up once or else you have to go back 3 screens and do it all over again."  XD

Hah, I like how the use of "Emo" has turned into a catchall for all things dark and "unforgiving" for lack of a better word and that some people intertwine it with "Goth."  I always thought "Emo" was "Emotional" as in, the sad Country music of the rock genre.  Iono, I guess I'm just rambling now.

About the secret area, I just like trying to make KS do things that most people wouldn't think about doing for my secret areas.  Something just out of the ordinary and strange.  Although, I do believe Lament had a pretty straight-forward secret area just with talking in most of the rooms.  I was thinking about making the song longer or having it loop, but man, was I getting bored.  I also didn't want it to get too repetitive.  Not to mention I wanted to keep everything straight forward with simple switches.  I guess I could make a, "Would you like to do it again" type o' thing, but I doubt I'll even do that :\ If there arn't any bugs or anything like that, I doubt I'll do anything to this level again. 

Thanks for playing :)
Teeeheee

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 22:04:08 »
Very interesting level. My second lunatic level I have played yet (The first was mine).
My favorite challenge is the final with the flying spikes.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:23:33 »
I agree with pretty much everyone else here. xP Loved the screens with the red spikey dude! Especially the first one!

None of the screens felt too hard for me, though all of them presented a pretty fun challenge. :)

I give this level a rating of A/5
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 16:43:46 »
It is great. You did the creepy and mysterious atmosphere very well! Really cool level  :).