Some changes to the forum

• 8 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Some changes to the forum
« on: July 11, 2018, 15:31:28 »
The past few days were a bit hectic...

Apparently when I was curious if our forum would run php 5.6, it broken the index of the site. Every subpage would load, just not the index.

Thanks to those who mentioned this to me, I started to investigate. Apparently This version of the forum and php 5.6 don't work well together. Some mods simply broke, including the simple theme switcher, that I unfortunately can't fix.

I attempted to upgrade the forums to SMF 2.0.15 but that made things a lot worse. Many of the mods are simply not compatible with SMF 2.0.15, so that's an even bigger set-back than what we currently have.

In the process I moved us to an isolated spot on my hosting so this can't happen again, and I have more control over what I want specifically to this forum compared to all other hosting stuff I do. A side-effect of this, is that the url has changed. We used to have nifflas.lpchip.nl, now we have nifflas.lp1.nl. The site is still the same thing, so don't worry about that. I considered trying to go back to the old url, but in the past day, I have done so many things to fix small issues, that I'm not really feeling into going through that whole process once more to set it back to nifflas.lpchip.nl. There currently is a redirect in place, but I strongly urge you to update your bookmarks to point to the new https://nifflas.lp1.nl site instead.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
Re: Some changes to the forum
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 19:53:41 »
It looks like things aren't quite fixed yet. The page for informing users the password they entered was incorrect isn't displayed right.

Also, Firefox now warns me that nifflas.lpchip.nl is configured incorrectly and therefore insecure. I know that site now only serves to redirect people, but this warning could discourage some from visiting altogether.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 20:42:46 »
There's unfortunately nothing I can do about the redirect from nifflas.lpchip.nl. I'll look into the password incorrect thingy.

EDIT: the problem with some pages not showing correctly should now be fixed as I stopped the error the theme switcher was throwing in, which stopped building the rest of the page. Now the whole page is drawn, but the theme switcher remains empty even if at some point in the future, things magically work again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 20:51:08 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 21:54:32 »
The search is working again too.

MODPlug Central Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 11:29:41 »
Hi LPChip!  I was never really a poster, but glad to see the forums are back up!  Do you have a specific day when nifflas.lpchip.nl will stop working?  Got some webpages elsewhere with links I need to clean up...

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:03:15 »
No. It may continue to work indefinitely, given that the forum itself links to it too, but given that it is only a redirect, I will not figure out when that redirect fails until maybe 2 weeks later. So it is best to update your links to be sure.

MODPlug Central Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 14:42:49 »
Ok, will do.  Thanks!

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 03:06:15 »
Is there any chance of going back to the old url? (Just want to be sure before I delete the old link from my most common tabs).

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:18:50 »
I had given that some thought, but no, I'm not going back to the old url. I have changed too many things by now and do not fancy to go through that another time. Basically the places where I have to edit the link are like 50 different places, all scattered all over the admin panel.

That said, when I went to the new url, many people suddenly could not visit the site anymore, while others could. I fear this will happen again, and I want to pass on that.

MODPlug Central Forum