Prepackaging a Knytt Stories + playlist allowed?

• 6 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Prepackaging a Knytt Stories + playlist allowed?
« on: May 19, 2013, 15:26:14 »
Hey, I've been trying to get many of my friends interested in Knytt Stories for a long time, and the main barrier seems to be in downloading not just the game, but all the levels I want them to play.  Would it be ok with Nifflas if I prepackaged a zip file with Knytt Stories (probably + as that is what I'm now making my levels with) and my levels plus my favorite levels or ones my friends might be interested in?  I would prefer to put this on something accessible like a blog, but if that seems problematic, it seems to me there would be no problem e-mailing such a zip or putting it on a private file sharing site.  Any thoughts, concerns or denials?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Prepackaging a Knytt Stories + playlist allowed?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 16:20:17 »
I don't think anyone will have a problem with this, given that Knytt Stories is freeware. If you'd charge money for this, then that would be a different story of course.

We have a big level torrent too with many levels. You could consider using that. But a package that is ready out of the box is nice too. Of course, the official download does come with a few levels, but more levels is always nicer.

I do think that such package should include a small textfile saying that this is all free, and that if you paid for it, you should get your money back, and also that you cannot share this if you ask money for it, because it is still copyright protected property.

So if Nifflas gives his approval, which I think he will, then add that to the textfile too, including the link to where you can download it seperately.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:55:15 »
You have my blessing, as the mod creator. The original freedoms and restrictions apply to it as well.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:49:16 »
Ok, in this case (pre-Nifflas approval) I'll use e-mail.  Should I... pm him and ask?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 14:13:24 »
Ok, in this case (pre-Nifflas approval) I'll use e-mail.  Should I... pm him and ask?

Sure. You can link to this topic too.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 16:50:42 »
Go ahead! If you put it on a website, please include a link to http://nifflas.ni2.se somewhere (it's not actually a requirement, but it'd be cool since I'm trying to get Knytt Underground greenlit) :)

Other than that, nothing I can think of. As long the game is distributed for free, I'm okay with it!

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 22:32:49 »
Cool!  Thanks a bunch!  I had been meaning to do this a long time ago, but keep putting off ask permission.