Help me design two last challenges in the Infinity Hype update.

• 10 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
I'm almost done with the big update to Knytt Underground that adds a few more hundred rooms.

Now, I want to add two weird challenges as well. They are basically hidden in the main menu and challenge. Both of them requires you to get from a place in the world to another in Chapter 3 - but you're blank on dimension crystals and you cannot transform to your other form. One challenge is for the ball form, the other challenge is for the sprite form. For each challenge, I'm looking for a really tricky to reach "win" point. The challenges can be super hard. The only thing reaching it shouldn't involve is super quirky moves that's almost impossible to pull off.

Below are two saves. Put them in Knytt Underground\Game\World\Default Saves

Then open Knytt Underground\World\Global Script.py in Notepad and replace the section that begins with ##### Debug ##### with this:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Now when you start the game, first press Shift+D+B to enable the debug mode, then press F9 to begin the sprite challenge and F11 to begin the ball challenge.

If you manage to get to a super tricky spot, show us where it is (and how to get there in a spoiler tag). The most creative one in the Ball challenge and Sprite challenge will make it into the game.

Note 1: This will not actually erase or even affect your Chapter 3 save data.

Note 2: If your challenge is more interesting with a dimension crystal, or coins to buy a dimension crystal, or anything, feel free to make modifications to that initial savedata and post it with your challenge.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 14:26:50 by Nifflas »

I can't get beyond the first screen in the Sprite Challenge, I just end up (humourously) climbing the literal barrier between screens. Is this intentional? The ball challenge is working fine, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Interesting. I can't get very far in the ball challenge either. In both challenges, I'm locked in with the Ch. 1 item list and for the Ball challenge, the barrier is still constructed. I think I'm stuck in Chapter One.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 20:02:33 by HeyLasFas »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Whoops, my mistake. I've changed the original topic with something that actually works.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 20:16:19 by Nifflas »

Heh, so after altering the .py file and inserting the saves, just where should you press the function keys? I've tried on the title and in the chapters, but nothing is happening... I guess I'm really terrible at this sort of thing!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Oh, I had forgot that the debug mode must be enabled for F9 and F11 to work. I modified the original post to mention this. As soon as you enter the menu, press Shift+D+B to enable the debug mode (there's no visual feedback for it). Then you can press F9 and F11. Whenever the game loads a new default save file, it switches off the debug mode, so you need to re-press Shift+D+B before you F9 and F11 again.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Here are two challenges I made that are possible but very hard to complete.

I'm sure there are potentially more interesting challenges than mine though.

Spoiler: Knytt challenge hint 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Knytt challenge hint 2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 16:12:26 by Nifflas »

So we must traverse to another part of Chapter 3 using only one form and report how we did it? Just wanted to clarify these questions.

EDIT: Oh, and in what way do we submit reaching the point?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:18:42 by AbstractMatter »

What about this?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Interesting! I'll try to get there!

Here's how I got there:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Zathnic

• View Profile
Re: Help me design two last challenges in the Infinity Hype update.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 16:39:34 »
Here's one I found, it's maybe a bit close to the spawn point but it definitely has some hard jumps. (A combination of several, actually.) There's also a chance that you fall down and have to start over :P A part of the challenge is figuring out how the jumps work, I didn't think this spot could be reached at first.