Keyboard Killer (Speed Typing Game, Beta)

• 6 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Keyboard Killer (Speed Typing Game, Beta)
« on: July 01, 2013, 21:15:38 »
My first proper game, made using Construct 2

Play Keyboard Killer

Uses Facebook for the high scores. Destroy the blocks by typing what's in them, including the first "START" block.

Right now it's fairly simple, type the words to get points, if you manage to type it without making mistakes, you get extra points.

The core mechanics are all pretty much in there, except for one, which is a way to get extra time on the clock, and I'm already working on that.

Wasn't really planning on improving it, until I saw that my friends got pretty hooked after playing it.

What's your best score? Any ideas or suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 21:17:09 by Raicuparta »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Keyboard Killer (Speed Typing Game, Beta)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:51:33 »
First try scored me 178. Probably not that good.

Suggestions: Use a proper english dictionary. I have trouble because I have more time reading the words than to actually type them. Also, the game is not fluent here, which doesn't help. I get 15 to 30 fps.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 17:21:33 »
First try scored me 178. Probably not that good.

Suggestions: Use a proper english dictionary. I have trouble because I have more time reading the words than to actually type them. Also, the game is not fluent here, which doesn't help. I get 15 to 30 fps.
Oh, forgot to mention it in the post, probably only runs at a decent speed on Chrome.

The dictionary is temporary, I'll have multiple dictionaries that you can choose in next versions.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 17:23:28 by Raicuparta »

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 20:06:32 »
Very well made game. It should force me to learn to type faster... ;)

The dictionary is temporary, I'll have multiple dictionaries that you can choose in next versions.
Does it mean I will be able to choose for example Czech words for Czech keyboard?

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 21:01:17 »
Does it mean I will be able to choose for example Czech words for Czech keyboard?
Hopefully yes. I intend to have dictionaries for several languages, and also based on different themes (cities, movie names, tv characters, stuff like that). The problem is that it doesn't seem to be easy to detect special keys in Construct 2 with the method I'm using. For example, in Portuguese we have a dedicated key for the Ç character, and detecting it requires a workaround for now. I don't really want to have workarounds for every language with special keys in it, so I'm waiting to see if this is fixed or if there is a better way to detect the keys.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 22:35:43 »
Tried it in dragon (a browser based on the chromium engine) I made a typo, pressed backspace as something I automatically do, and it left the page (back button). Argh....

Also this goes so fast that I don't get much higher than 130... My 178 seems much better.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 22:40:14 »
Yeah, one problem is that people with lower framerates seem to get better scores... Don't really know how to get around that except finding ways to make the game faster. Maybe if I find an alternative to Construct2's physics engine. Seems a bit overkill to have a whole physics engine run in the background just to make blocks fall realistically.

And totally forgot about the backspace thing, was supposed to have fixed it a long time ago, thanks.