Problems with running the demo on my laptop

• 4 Replies
Problems with running the demo on my laptop
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:44:11 »
Hello!

Sooo I finished playing the demo on my desktop computer, and decided to download it onto my laptop, but it's been having some issues...first, the game starts in a window, instead of the normal fullscreen mode. And after the game loads, none of my keys respond, and I can't move. Here's the specs for my laptop:

Alienware M14X
Windows 7 64-bit OS
Intel Core i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40 GHz
4 GB Memory

I was having problems with Comodo antivirus/firewall preventing the game from starting and causing the infamous black screen, but I fixed that issue..

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Problems with running the demo on my laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:14:35 »
That is caused by the game failing to create the settings file. It's not given write permission to its own settings folder. It happens if you install the game with the portable mode in a protected path such as Program Files. There's a warning in the installer about the portable mode requiring a non-protected path, which is why it's an expert setting that is off by default.

Alternatively, maybe your AV is restricting the game's write access to the user account's roaming application data folder (or write files at all).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 13:05:50 by Nifflas »

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 00:53:06 »
Well I double checked everything to make sure I didn't use the "Portable" version, but every time I tried to install it the basic way, it would result with the same problems. Soooo, I decided to use the portable version instead, and installed it in one of my personal folders, aaaaand it works now! :D

Thanks for the help, Nifflas, I really love this game, I can't wait to buy the full version. :D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:09:53 »
Actually, that's very odd. It definitely means the game doesn't get write access to the user account's roaming application data folder. The purpose of that path is specifically this type of application settings and to ensure that write access should always be allowed. It's very strange that it doesn't work.

Since it doesn't happen here, I don't have a way to reproduce or fix it either.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 16:25:28 »
I also thought it was very strange. I might tweak with it again and see happened.