Suggested levels to get better at Knytt Stories?

• 11 Replies
Suggested levels to get better at Knytt Stories?
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:24:53 »
In order to vote in the KS Level Competition, I've been trying to play through the entries. However, Dark Sea 2 is just ridiculous! :shocked: It's an amazing level, and the challenges are great fun, but it's well above my skill level.

Any recommendations of levels to try that are a bit easier than Dark Sea 2, but still challenging, so I could work up to Dark Sea 2?  :)

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: Suggested levels to get better at Knytt Stories?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:38:56 »
In order to vote in the KS Level Competition, I've been trying to play through the entries. However, Dark Sea 2 is just ridiculous! :shocked: It's an amazing level, and the challenges are great fun, but it's well above my skill level.

Any recommendations of levels to try that are a bit easier than Dark Sea 2, but still challenging, so I could work up to Dark Sea 2?  :)

Dark Sea 1? :P

In all honestly, it is the most genuinely hard of all the entries in the competition.  I had to strangle myself to get through the first time.  I'd suggest playing the first dark sea, and all the other levels in the competition before attempting to tackle it again.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35:14 »
Don't Stop Running is a personal favourite of mine. You might also enjoy Upper Levels or Monochromatica Grotta. Lastly, gamerjc21's tend to have some interesting and varied challenges... actually now that I think about it, these levels might be too easy, or the wrong kind of hard. Barely easier than Dark Sea 2 is a hard difficulty level to get my head around!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:36:58 by sergiocornaga »

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:59:59 »
For my own levels, I agree that Dark Sea 1 is a good start. Amidst the Clouds too, perhaps. Industrial Trap is really close in difficulty, as its obstacles are generally long and complicated, so it's probably not a good jumping off point. And the rest of my levels aren't worth suggesting.

As for other levels, you can just search for Very Hard levels on the forum that get a lot of attention.  Generally those will be worth the time.

I must also note that you just have to do the best of your own abilities, and don't stress out if you can't legitimately beat my level as a whole before the end of the voting period. It's very long and very challenging and it takes a quite some time to beat for almost anybody.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:11:18 by SecretGlitch »
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:07:45 »
+1 Monochromatica Grotta. It's probably my favorite challenge level, and I'm sure I've replayed it at least a dozen times. It's my Go-To level when I stop playing Knytt Stories for a while and need to get "back in shape" so to speak.

I just finished Dark Sea 2 and it is one of the toughest levels I've ever played.

Also, I find most of Talps' levels to be Hard/Very Hard, much less difficult than Dark Sea 2. Talps' are invigorating and fun and the story really pushes you forward to complete them. I highly suggest them if you want to get better and have a good time doing it. My personal favorites of his are Eurydice and I Dreamed of the Sky, but they are ALL tip-top quality.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:25:32 »
You can test Your umbrella skills in My Loving Hadron Collider by Talps  :).

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 18:23:39 »
Interesting level is Invisable Coin by MelvonDD - black and white everything with water and very tricky jumps for those with good reflexes and timing. (it's in Knytt level archive if you click on By author and search for MelvonDD)
The Laser Wars by NRA13 is pretty challenging too. For those who likes to be torn to pieces. :)  (it's in Knytt level archive too under name The Relic Hunt 2)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 18:49:19 by CWolvie »
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:38 »
I have to mention LPChip's Learning to Jump. The title says it all.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 02:51:57 »

The Laser Wars by NRA13 is pretty challenging too. For those who likes to be torn to pieces. :)  (it's in Knytt level archive too under name The Relic Hunt 2)

Just tried The Relic Hunt and I have to disagree here. It's extremely inconsistent... some places are a cakewalk, others are absolutely Lunatic. Furthermore, many of the difficult sections are based on random enemies and you just have to wait until they move and/or shoot their crap in a better distribution before you are able to pass.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 04:25:48 »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I especially enjoyed Monochromatica Grotta and Learning to Jump. Invisable Coin was great as well. :) Maybe next time I attack one of SecretGlitch's levels I'll be able to get further!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 08:18:29 »
Thanks Millsmess. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 15:56:17 »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I especially enjoyed Monochromatica Grotta and Learning to Jump. Invisable Coin was great as well. :) Maybe next time I attack one of SecretGlitch's levels I'll be able to get further!

I'll have to try Invisable Coin [sic].

If you liked Learning to Jump, you'd probably also like Monochrome Jumping by A ClockWork Lemon, found in the archive. It's simple and basic and covers jumps from simple to Very Hard.

Don't Stop Running is a personal favourite of mine. You might also enjoy Upper Levels or Monochromatica Grotta. Lastly, gamerjc21's tend to have some interesting and varied challenges... actually now that I think about it, these levels might be too easy, or the wrong kind of hard. Barely easier than Dark Sea 2 is a hard difficulty level to get my head around!

I played Don't Stop Running last Friday and the song has been stuck in my head all weekend! It's a new personal favorite/classic of mine, along the same lines as Don't Eat the Mushroom.