Big update coming soon!

• 27 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Big update coming soon!
« on: February 15, 2013, 20:55:54 »
Hi!

Good news, I can put the three chapters that were originally only in the PS3/Vita versions of KU into the desktop releases. The process of implementing them is pretty much done. Thing is, the game is on greenlight and I'd like to bring as much attention around the game as possible to get more votes, and maybe I can use the new content to make a new push for the game.

Maybe I should add even more content while I'm at it, but I'm looking for some ideas here. What would you like to see? What I add won't be part of chapter 1-3, but it can be secrets or new challenges accessible from the menu. Maybe I should make a new museum and ask people here and on twitter to make art exhibitions and/or other silly stuff? Do you know any other ways I could involve people on the internet (it'd be really cool if it's in a way that can get some additional media attention around the game).

I won't spend tons of time on this new update, but maybe a week or two of level design, so please let me know what you'd like me to do!

Obviously the update will be available to everybody who have purchased the game.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 17:38:12 by Nifflas »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: Big update coming soon!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:00:06 »
I'd love to see another secret area like Neon Fall, that area had amazing atmosphere (especially the non-challenge portions).

I think I'll finish making those plant/scenic objects I mentioned if you're still interested. The photographs are all taken, but I stopped short of the processing/transparency stage when the PC release was rushed ahead a little.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:13:35 »
Y'know, this might be a bit of a stretch, but if it were possible to add the swimming mechanics from The Great Work into this game, to be utilized in new areas and eventually community-made levels, on top of what is already available, I think that would be marvelous.

Personally though, I'd think one of the best things you could do to attract more attention to the game would be to make the level editor available.  I'd say that alone is the reason Knytt Stories is still popular, and I want to get started on the sequel to my KS level!  :P

Those would likely be more long-term though, so, in terms of a new area that can be done in a few weeks, I'd be interested in seeing a short chapter that involved a different character.  It could be anyone, from any facet of the story.  I just want to see the narrative of this game expand a little more.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 02:41:35 »
I wouldn't mind seeing more bizarre, abstract places. Like a lit-up Disorder.

If there was a super thing I'd want to see, I'd like to see a Juni mode. Just have her with all of her powers (except cloak.. which is already just a reskinned Mi), make her jump a little higher than Mi (to gap the distance between Mi and Bob), and map the umbrella to the action button. Boom. Instant nostalgia.

or just have a level called The Glitch and have fruit in the sky and upside-down lava and bipolar robots that destroy each other/mimic the players movements/able to push buttons.

And then at the end
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:51:26 »
If there was a super thing I'd want to see, I'd like to see a Juni mode. Just have her with all of her powers (except cloak.. which is already just a reskinned Mi), make her jump a little higher than Mi (to gap the distance between Mi and Bob), and map the umbrella to the action button. Boom. Instant nostalgia.

Spoiler: Regarding Juni (click to show/hide)
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:25:10 »
Just throwing this out there... There are a couple of sections where we can't use Bob, only Mi... How about a level that works the opposite way?

Also, since Mi is reskinned in different levels, why not have one where Bob changes his own colour? Or even his physics! Yes, I miss WaDF.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 16:07:24 »
I'll not add new features at this point, unless it can be done using the game's scripting features. Luckily, I have a few fun ideas that can be done with those that I may try out.

By the way, Here's the developer editor for Knytt Underground. It's not at all intended for anyone but myself, so the interface isn't that nice. For example, in the room editor you have to press 1,2,3,4,5 to switch between editor modes, and after saving with Ctrl+S you need to press F12 for a program to repair World.bin file which the "binary array" extension breaks for some reason. Without repairing the file, the game may crash when loading World.bin - however, if no room exists in the top-left corner of the map, pressing probably F12 destroys the entire World.bin file so make sure to leave a room there.

Some copy/paste features in the editor doesn't work right at all. So again, while the game is very nice and solid on the inside, the editor is in fact not. It has been hacked together to work with any new feature I've added to the game. That's why I really want to make a user friendly editor for the public (but it's unfortunately a lot of work).

I'd happily provide the MMF2 source for the editor if anyone wants it.

Anyway, my point is this: If you create some cool areas that matches the quality of the rest of the game, it'd be my honor to add it as a part of this update. Just don't make it too big (in that case, it may not fit into the current map). This is a chance to get your own level content into the main game!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 17:14:36 by Nifflas »

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 21:29:29 »
^ After having a quick look at the editor, I think it'd be better if someone worked on improving it rather than starting one from scratch (I've been working on and off on adapting my KS Java Editor to KU, but the result isn't looking any better than the official editor). It doesn't look user-unfriendly to me - definitely better than the one for Saira - too bad you said some things are broken.

I also wanted to ask this for a while: how does the RGB Coefficient parameter for Objects work exactly? I know it's not a colour mask, but I can't figure out how it alters the colours.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 22:14:08 »
It multiplies the channels. In other words, a completely white pixel will get exactly the color of the RGB coefficient (which is why a white coefficient doesn't do anything to the image). A completely black pixel is black already and cannot be affected.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 23:31:08 »
This is great news! Now we won't get to miss out on these awesome chapters(I'm sure they are awesome even though I've not played them) from the console versions. When did you get the go ahead to be able to put them in the desktop versions?
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 23:40:15 »
About a week back, I think.

Just got to add new stuff into the game now :D

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 02:25:46 »
Some more modifications to the ending could be fun, like maybe little things here or there that open up a cilia blurb, or something that lets you roam the surface a bit.

Also, maybe those areas in chapter 1 that are supposed to be unaccessible (that now warp you to the bottom of the screen) could have something there? Even if it's just the Nifflas character angrily showing up and yelling at me for trying to break the game, something might be fun. :)

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 09:16:30 »
It multiplies the channels. In other words, a completely white pixel will get exactly the color of the RGB coefficient (which is why a white coefficient doesn't do anything to the image). A completely black pixel is black already and cannot be affected.

Thank you! I think I've got it down now.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 14:30:49 »
So, here's my idea right now!

I want to run a "ask the fairies" thing. Or more "ask the characters in Knytt Underground" but it doesn't sound as catchy. The point is that you can either on twitter (with a specific hashtag) or on my website ask one of the characters in my game any question about anything. One of my game dev friends in Copenhagen is trying to convince me to limit it to twitter to get the most exposure. Either way, I'll take a bunch of questions that I can elaborate on the most and make small stories in the game around the answers. Each such story will open with the question and the name of whoever submitted it. Anyone who gets a question answered also gets a free copy of the game (that can also be given as a gift, in case the person already has a copy).

It's the best idea I've been able to come up with because it's quite fun to do, yet it involves more people and can help spread the game and hopefully get it greenlit on Steam.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 14:41:52 »
Great idea. I would start with tweeting about this. I'd happily retweet it for you. :)

I'd tweet something like:

"Want to ask the fairies in Knytt Underground a question? Twitter it with #KU_askthefaries and it might end up in the game!"
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex