Crudely rendered maps of Knytt Underground [Spoiler]

• 22 Replies
Crudely rendered maps of Knytt Underground [Spoiler]
« on: February 12, 2013, 16:30:51 »
I've done some crude renderings of the entire Knytt Underground game world. These are based on the "Tiles" data files, so they don't include any of the nice scenery (grass, smoke, backgrounds, etc.), or complex objects (lava, kill-zones, etc).

Small: 1/16th scale, 2,976px x 1,548px, 348kB: http://i.minus.com/iKXxdSAe7YUF2.png
Medium: 1/8th scale, 5,952px x 3,096px, 958kB: http://i.minus.com/iguPanjDEU0U8.png
Large: 1/4th scale, 11,904px x 6,192px, 2065kB: http://i.minus.com/ibhCtp9bBfwk5W.png

I've also attached the Python source code of my mapper. Note that PIL (Python Image Library) must be installed, and I use Python 2.7 (though other versions will probably also work).

EDIT: Added missing levels on the right and bottom sides. Changed level color to reflect actual in-game color a bit more. Note that this makes the boundaries between Utopioca and the normal levels look a bit messed up - can't really help this unfortunately.

Here are the old versions maps, in case you preferred their coloration:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 22:28:09 by BinarySplit »

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: Crudely rendered maps of Knytt Underground [Spoiler]
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 21:12:40 »
Absolutely impressive. Thank you! :)

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 22:58:58 »
I've also marked off a map of parts of the "underworld" section that I recognize: http://i6.minus.com/ibj8GhlT5rzvEb.png (medium scale)

It's disturbing how many areas there are that I don't recognize... Like the tower at the bottom and, what I presume must be shortcut paths, between The Disorder and Interlude.

I wonder how many areas aren't actually visible without cheating? I imagine that HI PONTO and the 3 faces underneath The Disorder can't actually be navigable...

I think I'll bind my F9/F11 debug key functions to just cycle through all the levels of the underworld... My exploring days are over, so I may as well see the rest of the game as a tourist.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 23:12:37 »
Everything is accessible. The Hi Ponto is a secret in a secret though. You get to that screen and can walk through all the words if my memory serves me correct.

The tower is another secret area. Its the "toast" area.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 00:40:04 »
Everything is accessible. The Hi Ponto is a secret in a secret though. You get to that screen and can walk through all the words if my memory serves me correct.

The tower is another secret area. Its the "toast" area.

I feel like such an idiot for searching for hours in the wrong places, getting fed up and resorting to cheating; yet the secrets I've found while cheating have been some of the best parts of the game for me:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I got my debug mode tourist thing working. It's definitely a game ruiner if you haven't finished exploring, so I'm not going to tempt anyone by posting the code here.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 02:59:59 »
Nice job! I like seeing the miniature tile layouts all at once. This could even become the basis for a nano-scale KU spinoff! :nuts:

It's disturbing how many areas there are that I don't recognize... Like the tower at the bottom and, what I presume must be shortcut paths, between The Disorder and Interlude.
No shortcuts between the two; that place is an area of its own that just happens to have lots of shortcuts.

The reason why this map shows many areas as cut-off from the rest of the game is because those are normally accessible either directly via secret paths or indirectly via shifts (teleports triggered either by being at the right place or by fulfilling the right conditions).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:06:24 by SiamJai »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:36:49 »
These are really great, thanks a lot for making them!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:57:05 »
Absolutely impressive. Thank you! :)
+1
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 18:08:50 »
Wow, these really put into context just how epic this game really is.

:nuts:

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 21:18:58 »
Neon fall?
Is that the thing I don't recognize on the bottom left?

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 23:35:13 »
Neon Fall is the place where you get to see
On the map, it starts at the big brown mountain-like thing at the very bottom, about 1/3rd across from the left.

If you want to access it without cheating,

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 23:39:06 by BinarySplit »

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 07:06:27 »
Thanks for the map! :D There are so many places I didn't explore yet...
(rrc2soft stops looking at the map and thinks on playing KU this evening :) )
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:08:15 by rrc2soft »

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 11:52:09 »
I was really hesitant to release this, as it's serious game-experience-ruining stuff, but since I've now spent more time messing with KU's data files than playing the game, it'd be a shame for this to go to waste. I highly suggest you only download this if you feel you've finished everything in the game legitimately, or you've become so frustrated that you would otherwise never play the game again.

This has only been tested on the PC version. Probably will still work on Mac/Linux, but very unlikely to work on PSP.

With that, I present to you: BinarySplit's Debug Kit For Lame Cheaters!

What this does:
  • Enable transform/inventory/map in any area
  • Find out your map coordinates easily
  • Teleport to any coordinate in the map
  • Teleport up/down/left/right repeatedly with one key press
  • Teleport directly into one of several mini-chapters

What this doesn't do:
  • Normal "cheat" functions like god mode, flight, noclip, etc.
  • Any sort of map editing
  • Work on PSP that I know of

Spoiler: Installation: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Usage/Notes: (click to show/hide)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 20:41:24 »
I'm really impressed with the map renders, I've never seen Knytt Underground that way myself. Also, the cheat tool is pretty cool and it's nice to see what people can do with the scripting features in the game.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 21:36:24 »
I couldn't get the cheat tool to work on OSX. I did override the files, but there is no noticeable difference in gameplay, map/inventory do not work everywhere, etc. Did I do something wrong?

Edit:
All dialogue is replaced with a black box at the upper left of the screen. This makes certain things undoable, such as getting into Mathias or doing quests.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 21:48:24 by Dj Gopher »