[challenge/maze][hard][medium] Gustav's son

• 24 Replies

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
[challenge/maze][hard][medium] Gustav's son
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:56:33 »
Ladies and gentlemen,
let me show you my new level, Gustav's son. It features 14 custom tilesets, 7 custom music tracks, naughty boy locked in the cellar and story almost completely copied from one well-known level.
Hope you will like it anyway.
Download it here
fixed version

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 21:51:13 by Polana »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
Re: [challenge/maze][hard][medium] Gustav's son
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:43:06 »
Oh man this level was fun! It had a very similar feel to Gustav's Daughter but was unique in its own way. I did notice a couple small errors like non-solid walls or solid background objects but nothing severe enough to break the level or distract from the experience.

Everyone should definitely play it!

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:49:40 »
Thank you.
I will make new version as soon as someone finds even more errors.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 14:13:43 »
Hmm... I can't seem to download this.  It gives me an error, telling me it can't find the file.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 14:46:09 »
That's odd, I swear it was working! The issue is the / at the end of the URL, here is a working link.

Looking forward to playing this! By which I mean, I don't have time right now... but soon!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 14:54:58 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 15:03:41 »
Thank you Sergio. When iI made that link, it worked for the first time, but then it broken (I don't know why, because I thought I've followed instructions in the help properly) and I had no time to repair, because I had to go for a lunch.
I guess that everyone (including me) is playing cosmic Meltdown now. I should have chosen another day to release this.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 15:05:15 by Polana »

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 15:29:30 »
Nice level,and a good successor to Gustav's Daughter.I liked the atmoshpere a lot.Nice diffilcuty level,too.
I have some reports:
-Wallswims if you use the umbrella to fly leftwards from the old "GTFO of my cave guy"
-Some grammatical errors,one is in a textbox in Sky City(an "a" was missing) and in the ending(reward was spelled revard)

Everything else in alright,I think.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 17:03:25 »
Cool level  ;). Good musics and tilesets!

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 21:21:56 »
-Wallswims if you use the umbrella to fly leftwards from the old "GTFO of my cave guy"

This is a bit of a problem. The way the screens are designed make you think it's a jumping puzzle and you should go there at some point to get a powerup, so a lot of people WILL go there.

Edit: Also, there is no clear indication that you got the hologram powerup. You're just supposed to know that pressing down did something.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 21:31:12 by StraightFlame »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 21:49:38 »
I have made fixed version, get it
here
@straightflame: Is it so hard to press Q to find out what happened ? There is also hint you get at Frieda's house, so I don't think this is a problem. I have seen this way of getting power-up in other levels. However, you an MasterF are right about the rock above the hermit's cave. I've fixed the wallswim.

Thanks everyone for feedback

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 00:19:06 »
I guess that everyone (including me) is playing cosmic Meltdown now. I should have chosen another day to release this.

I downloaded yours first!

Though as I don't really have time to play either right now, it might be a small consolation. Either way, I'm excited about this! hopefully get round to it tomorrow, and I'll let you know my feelings.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 01:20:13 »
It's funny because I knew I had the hologram power after the shift because of the hints given by Frieda. I thought it was pretty obvious that is what happened.

I'm not playing it right now either. :P

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 16:46:12 »

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 17:09:16 »
You are reviewing old version, in the fixed one, you get reward.
While most of the tilesets are quite nice, and I adore the cloud COs, I have to only rate this as 6 because the main area you start out in is so ugly, in my opinion.  I'm not sure what the level creator was going for with that, especially compared to the other areas in this level.
I am not fully satisfied by this area myself, but I would not describe it as ugly. But I am not offended, it is useful to know what to improve. And I am glad that your reviews are back, because it is fun to read them (when you are writing about someone else's really bad level).

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 17:19:00 »
You are reviewing old version, in the fixed one, you get reward.
While most of the tilesets are quite nice, and I adore the cloud COs, I have to only rate this as 6 because the main area you start out in is so ugly, in my opinion.  I'm not sure what the level creator was going for with that, especially compared to the other areas in this level.
I am not fully satisfied by this area myself, but I would not describe it as ugly. But I am not offended, it is useful to know what to improve. And I am glad that your reviews are back, because it is fun to read them (when you are writing about someone else's really bad level).

Don't worry.  I didn't dock you for any misspellings.  I'd only do that if it was illegible.

It's only natural that my very negative reviews are funnier.  People enjoy seeing bad levels torn apart far more than great levels being praised.

Love anything