[Challenge/Scenic/Epic Length] Cosmic Meltdown {3 Difficulties}

• 115 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Challenge/Scenic/Epic Length] Cosmic Meltdown {3 Difficulties}
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2018, 21:04:19 »
Greetings, Hopeseekeer. I'll try to troubleshoot the problem here, but I need a little bit more info from you first.

*Are you using standard Knytt Stories to play the level? If not, which mod are you using?
*How did you cheat to get the red key? (I.e. did you use the in-game warp, did you skip ahead using the editor, etc.)

Once you've answered these, I might have a better idea of what happened.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Hopeseekeer

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:24 »
Hello Fubaka, after "stalking" on the forum for a long time it feels weird/ kind of a honour to speak to you. :O

I got the red key by pressing Control + Shift + C and then spacebar + right click to avoid threats.

I am using Knytt Stories Plus 1.3.4

Thanks for the help, hopefully we can solve this. I wouldn't want to go to the next area before finishing this one but I don't get what it's supposed to happen here.

By the way if the piston puzzle was not open already, if the solution is in the yellow flowers, then the two things would "connect", and so it would make sense. I would have one way in mind one could figure out to use the number. Otherwise I would have no idea on how to solve it.

I cannot be 100% sure if the secret is even related to the piston puzzle obviously.

Maybe I'll start and go through the whole level again and see if the problem is still there. Maybe I just screwed up something. What I'm really worried about is if the level is ok for other people, I don't want other people to arrive there and find the piston puzzle open. If I screwed up something I guess that's ok. (the curiosity remains)

>>>edit: not even OOBs and cheats have worked, no way to get to the avatar screen and him saying intelligent things, my savegame was just too screwed up. So I have gone through the level again (with OOBs because it took a long time to do this legitimately and it was just a test) and the piston puzzle is closed, working. Yay

So indeed I had somehow screwed up something, and the level is OK. Let's not try to figure out what problem it was, our time is more precious.

Now.... how the hell am I supposed to open this laser gate LOL please at least give me a strong hint or am I supposed to just bruteforce this? The flower count doesn't seem to help.
Thank you

Gave a star for the obviously well executed level and explained a bit better what happened.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:30:12 by Hopeseekeer »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2018, 16:57:26 »
So I think I discovered what the problem might be. Whether or not the piston gate is open in the flower area depends on whether Flag 0 is set or not. Nothing is supposed to set it prior to your arrival there, but I discovered an old leftover shift that set it in the main level that wasn't supposed to be in use anymore. I deleted the flag trigger here, so hopefully that will solve the problem. I will do some additional testing and maybe clean a couple of things up for a 1.0.9 release some time soon.

As for how to legitimately get past the piston puzzle, you seem to have spelt out all of the in-game hints. The yellow flowers in question refer only to the ones in the caves, not on the surface (in 1.0.9, I will have the yellow flowers on the surface changed into red flowers). So what you need to do is follow the line of yellow flowers from the beginning of the underground section to the location of the yellow key. Take note of how many are on each screen. That should be enough for you to solve the puzzle.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Hopeseekeer

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2018, 23:42:31 »
Oh I see! Yeah maybe I have triggered this flag you are talking about. No idea how else this could have happened. Thank you! In any case I am now back on track (after an ashaming number of cheats and OOBs to reach the flower area from a fresh save) and I haven't triggered anything, the gate is properly closed.

So, the flowers in the very very early part of the level do not count.
I am laughing so hard now, because I thought I was very intelligent, having counted -every- yellow flower, yes, even the one on that unreachable area on the left!!! XD So if they are not 31, ok, I will try to open it with the other number  :D You can just bruteforce the puzzle, but doing it understanding what you are doing is obviously more fun!

On a side note, if you are releasing a 1.0.9, maybe you can consider
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Thanks again for the amazing level. I might disturb you again with some later secrets but maybe I'll just pm you instead of disturbing newer posts :oops:

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2018, 05:28:21 »
I will not be giving out hints for the Bad Endings, as those are supposed to be the real easter eggs. You'll just have to comb around in the Editor if you can't find it legit.

As for this new update, I am currently planning on changing up some of the challenges as well. I made this level 5 years ago, and some of the elements within could use some streamlining. I almost felt like making a new area entirely, but maybe I should save it for a new level instead. Look out for the update within the next few days.

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2018, 08:25:59 »
A new update has been released for Cosmic Meltdown! Here is a breakdown of the changes:

Cosmic Meltdown 1.0.9:
  • Streamlined a bunch of challenges (mainly in the first areas).
  • Added a few new rooms.
  • Changed a couple graphics around in a secret place to lessen confusion.
  • Pulled out a potentially sequence-breaking flag that did nothing.
  • Fixed a potential area where Juni can get stuck at the very very very end of the level.
  • Made a contentionably impossible jump actually impossible (for now).
  • Nerfed Bayonetta.

The download link is on the original post. Have fun!

Love anything

Offline Miragent

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2018, 15:09:16 »
Thank you very much for furtherly tweaking this classic.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2020, 17:10:04 »
Turns out I didn't find the eye in my 2 previous playthroughs. So, only now I've finished the level (not without using the editor) and feel like "necroposting". This amazing level goes straight into my top-10 best levels, or would if I actually kept such a list :)

One mystery remains for me:
I've attached screenshots of wall-swims at x907y705 and x1031y953. Turns out these red crystals can be climbed from the side.
Also, if you go down from x920y708 (by first gliding from the left with umbrella), you end up in a void screen.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 21:39:40 by GrayFace »

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2020, 18:11:25 »
Thanks Grayface for spotting these holes in my level. I have given you a star and have also released an updated version of the level to fix those issues mentioned here and others mentioned in private conversation.

Now presenting: Cosmic Meltdown 1.1.0

Changelist:
  • Fixed wallswims and void accesses at places mentioned by Grayface
  • Modified music track in the Lunatic Portion of the Space Cave Temple to loop
  • Redid the final part of the Lunatic area of the Space Cave Temple (there are now four Lunatic rooms, with the last two being quite tricky indeed)
  • Removed Herobrine
As before, the download link is located in the original post. Have fun!

Love anything

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2020, 18:23:36 »
Definitely going to add this to my Quarantine playlist. I never did get that secret ending!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2020, 15:49:38 »
Removed Herobrine
Herobrine? Where was he?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2022, 02:30:44 »
Greetings. It's been a while, but I have a new version of this level for you.

Cosmic Meltdown - Version 1.1.1
Changelog:
  • Adjusted dialogue chains to give the player a bit more freedom of movement and prevent softlocks.
  • Modified several challenges and areas with the express purpose of reducing annoyance factor. (including adding several extra save points).
  • Tweaked a few graphics.
  • Strengthened barriers to prevent the player from sequence breaking during certain dialogue scenes.
  • Removed lots of wallswims and a few void screen access points.
  • Added additional protections to prevent the player being able to jump past the "tripwires" to make The Creator appear in the bonus area.
  • Fixed the issue where Juni would "keep" the hologram powerup after trading it for the umbrella until she died or a cutscene played.
  • Added four new songs to the level, which play in areas which previously used songs already used in other parts of the level. The new songs used in the main part of the level have also been added to the Sound Test room.
  • Changed and added a few bits of dialogue.
  • Added a new secret area where the player can pick up the purple key on the "normal" path if they missed it earlier.
  • Due to patching the old glitch-using route of getting on the hard path from the normal one and accessing the secret Key room, a legitimate way to get to the room was added, but it's hard to find. Good luck, speedrunners.
  • A bunch of other small fixes.
You can access the new version via the original post in this thread, which has been updated.

Please let me know (preferably on Discord) if there are any more issues with the level. I want to leave Cosmic Meltdown flawless by the time this world ends.

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2022, 02:13:38 »
So, after watching someone play the level live, I discovered a few more issues which I have now fixed. This is not a huge update, but it does improve some things, particularly in the bonus area. Here is the changelog:

Cosmic Meltdown - Version 1.1.2_01
Changelog:
  • Added more save points in the Overgrown Labyrinth and Space Caves.
  • Changed a few challenges, particularly in the bonus area.
  • Added some more signs and sign dialogue.
  • Ironed out some spots where wallswims could be performed in the Space Caves.
  • Added a few more ghost blocks in the Space Caves to help better funnel the player toward other objectives.
  • Fixed a potential Void screen access in the Overgrown Labyrinth.
  • Fixed some spots where walls in contact with waterfalls could still be climbed.
  • Added an extra response option for one of the Creator conversations.
  • Added a spark of hope in the Space Caves.
  • A few other small fixes.
You can access the new version via the original post in this thread, which has been updated.

As before, let me know if there are issues with this version, either old or new.

EDIT: Another void screen was discovered at the very very end of the level, so made a quick hotfix to address it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 04:32:10 by Fubaka »

Love anything

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2022, 22:09:17 »
Hi. Bug report with spoilers:

Loving the level so far!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 00:30:43 by cman »