The Great Work is released!

• 27 Replies

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
Re: The Great Work is released!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 05:43:00 »
Just finished. Really enjoyed it! Great work, as always, and I'll be picking up a copy of Knytt Underground AND prodding it to be greenlit on steam.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 19:21:21 »
That's much appreciated! I hope you'll like Knytt Underground too!

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 22:04:24 »
Ok, I enjoyed the game very much. Level design is great as usual, music is  wonderful as well (I missed a few more tracks though) and it's quite fun and addictive. But I have to say that in my opinion you should stick to minimal pixel art graphic style, Nifflas. I like it, like I liked Saria or Knytt Underground, but that mix between Silhouettes and blurred pictures (or drawings) it's not well integrated, or it's just I don't fancy it that much. Developing that gourgeous graphic style of Knytt, Knytt Stories or NightSky is the way, specially for these modest great indie games of yours. But, if I said, it's just my opinion and I guess you feel different about it. Good work as usual anyways  : D

PS: I also find your games quite swedish. That's something I really love.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 22:16:26 »
I'm not going back to pixel art. If I never try different stuff, I won't learn anything. Besides, a lot of people think the scenery in Knytt Underground is a whole lot more beautiful than my old pixel games.

Remember that whatever I do, I always get the feedback that I should kept doing what I did earlier. When releasing Knytt, people missed the challenges in WaDF. When releasing Knytt Stories, some people missed the pure ambient focus of Knytt. When I released NighSky, some people didn't like that I had abandoned the non-linear designs of my previous games. I can't do anything with this type of feedback; it'll just stop me from experimenting and learning, and that'd be the end of game development for me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 22:20:40 by Nifflas »

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 22:31:55 »
I was not saying you should do the same over and over again. Your games have to evolve, and so the graphics. If you're tired of pixel art or you want to make more complex graphics or whatever that's fine, they're are your games and I'll keep waiting for them, playing them and try other people to play them as I do. But I can't stop wondering what if you'd have improved, make flourish that pixel art, take it to a next level. I'm found of pixel art (as you can imagine) and silhouettes as well and your games have been always a great source of inspiration (not just visually but musically and in terms of gameplay, puzzles, level design and so on).

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 23:23:33 »
But I can't stop wondering what if you'd have improved, make flourish that pixel art, take it to a next level.
If I did that, plenty of people would complain about me just making pixel art as well. Whatever I do, there are plenty of people who dislike it and think I should have done something else. It's how it has always been and will always be.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 15:12:58 »
Psicolico, Look at it this way. Sure, I also thought the artstyle was so different when Nifflas switched from the style used in Knytt Stories and WaDF and I was like, its not the same. And you know what, it isn't. But is that a bad thing?

No. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the games are good works on their own, and the artstyle fit the gamestyle. If all his games would continue to look the same, you would not get this nostalgic feeling playing his older games. This is something that makes his older games last longer.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 19:57:35 »
But I can't stop wondering what if you'd have improved, make flourish that pixel art, take it to a next level.
If I did that, plenty of people would complain about me just making pixel art as well. Whatever I do, there are plenty of people who dislike it and think I should have done something else. It's how it has always been and will always be.
Yes, of course you can't make everybody happy. I like the game as it is and I try to tell you how I would like it even more. I don't know if it helps you though.

Psicolico, Look at it this way. Sure, I also thought the artstyle was so different when Nifflas switched from the style used in Knytt Stories and WaDF and I was like, its not the same. And you know what, it isn't. But is that a bad thing?

No. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the games are good works on their own, and the artstyle fit the gamestyle. If all his games would continue to look the same, you would not get this nostalgic feeling playing his older games. This is something that makes his older games last longer.
I didn't say it's a bad thing. I actually like to be surprised and I want every good game designer to follow and explore his own path. As a fan of Nifflas games I find myself obliged to express what I like and dislike as a constructive criticism. A little bit of feedback should always been apreciated even though you don't always read what you'd like.

Given said that, I don't think there's much to say. The game is great as usual and I'll be waiting for the next one.

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 16:10:07 »
hmm, one thing i thought of while playing knytt underground and the great work, is that i miss how in the old games moving from one area to the next felt like such a shift in tone and visuals. the areas do still have their own unique feel to an extent, but it is always the black ground/walls/ceilings. just an observation, i don't mean to complain. these games are still very atmospheric and engaging.

i had no idea the inventory was infinite, i spent the whole game thinking it was only limited to the slots you see, so i kept storing unneeded items in chests when i (thought i) needed to. now i feel silly.

anyway, this game is great. very slick, very atmospheric, great level design. to me it hearkened back to knytt stories with gaining abilities to let you reach new areas, etc. which is a game design i love, and it felt very well done here. i also liked the alchemy theme, and it made me want to watch the movie, however i went to the website and didn't see any option to purchase it? maybe it is not available to the public yet.

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 06:00:38 »
Is the great work just a game using KU's engine or an add on to KU?  :huh:

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 06:05:15 »
I believe that The Great Work is using a few bits and pieces of the KU engine, but it's an entirely different game (and with different mechanics). They do look a tad similar, though!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 10:33:39 »
Actually, if it is, then its the other way around. The Great Work was made before Knytt Underground, but its release was delayed a lot due to the release of the movie that took longer than anticipated.

Note that Saira and Night Sky use similar graphics so the engine is probably close to that of Saira.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 20:13:38 »
I've finally played it a few day ago, 2 times with different ability picks order. It's just what its title says. And I can't believe I didn't play games for so long.