[Challenge][Easy/Normal][Small] Oppun

• 9 Replies

Offline oskop

• View Profile
[Challenge][Easy/Normal][Small] Oppun
« on: January 25, 2013, 18:11:57 »
hello,

after a long pause i recently got back into level-making and am working on about three different things. oppun is the one i'm mostly likely to finish. it's a bit of a mix between the two levels i've made so far, "oriante" and "ayo"; sci fi pessimistic scenario and darker atmosphere. i'm posting mostly to force myself to actually finish it and put it up eventually; i think the external pressure of people seeing something of it might help me not get completely distracted from finishing it.

it features the one custom tileset by myself so far and will be a light challenge level and short, still need to start working on a few custom objects. would appreciate feedback on the screens as well as any thoughts on where to find music; i'm hoping for simple heavy ambient loops, something "ascension"-like maybe. would be grateful for any thoughts.

screenshots:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: [Challenge][Easy/Normal][Small] Oppun
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 18:15:32 »
Although it has just one color and some black and grey, I have to admit that I find this really good looking! It works. Nice :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 18:26:28 »
Your screenshots look brilliant!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 22:02:59 »
Looks interesting.  Do you know when we can expect a release?
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 00:06:56 »
Cool!  I like your design choices. 

Seems like level making activity is picking up... could KU actually be insighting some new production?

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 14:25:14 »
hey folk thanks for the positive feedback! i know the tileset is very simplistic (and probably the only one i'm going to use) so i was afraid people would be put off by the level visually, which would be a shame given i enjoy building screens much more than coming up with challenges, so it's good to read nice things! i'm trying my best to make each screen distinct. one question: do you guys think the red and the grey should be adjusted to be slightly less bright? i'm still unsure about that. also, my question about music remains; i really want to avoid resorting to the default music!...

fubaka: sometime in february maybe? i'm at about twenty screens and  imagine this is about halfway, i'm just slow. and custom creatures are going to be an issue.
headgrinder: can't speak for anyone else but for me it's mostly down to being in a similiar situation timewise to when i last tried to make knyttstories, and feeling willing to do something even if the forum was completely stopped - which it kind of was when i started thinking about these.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 15:19:56 »
I think the screenshots are looking fantastic; I really like the style. I did initially think the red might benefit from dulling down slightly but after playing around with it I'm not so sure. I did tweak the grey slightly aswell but I think you already had it about as dark as you can get away with on that gradient.

Musicwise,erm... I doubt these are the kind of things you had in mind (too short, for starters) but I guess it can't hurt to link them; and there's a limit to how long I can bear to poke around freesound.org in one sitting :P

bewonderenrmx.aif
bongox.aif
bnicdbid.aif
dtd_spatialharm.aif
dtd_9mayonnaises.aif

All by dropthedyle

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 16:48:21 »
Some of those would be really good if you could cut the fade in out and loop them... if they loop good.

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 18:00:10 »
These colors are very well chosen (black/red is my favorite combination).
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran