[Environmental/Normal/Small - KS+] I Chased the Moon (V2 released)

• 47 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Environmental/Normal/Small - KS+] I Chased the Moon
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 22:03:52 »
@Fubaka: The new objects should appear in the normal level editor if you have KS+ installed.

I thought the transition from moving in front of the building to being able to climb it was well done. I can't think of a better way to execute such a maneuver. The one-way ledge used later is very smooth. I think the biggest problem with them is they're both so unexpected for players unaware of such features that it breaks the immersion. As the mods designer I fear that poor use of such objects will make levels very confusing, but I can't find fault in their usage here.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 22:05:35 by egomassive »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 22:22:42 »
Exquisite.  Fantastic tilesets.  I didn't even notice that you used the rock texture on the tree silhouettes until I looked at it in the ks+ editor.  Interesting choice that, but it works.  Loved the lights, and your use of titles was fantastic.  Man I wish we had ks+ a long time ago.

Edit: My only thought on the one way cliffs and passage was that you leave the bottom square on the light house and far left square on the cliff two way, and make the rest one way.  That way you can still jump up and climb or jump down again, but the wall/floor still become solid.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 00:34:22 »
I think if I'd done that with the lighthouse, people would have run back and forth without realising they could climb. Plus they could then climb up the inside of the blocks, which would be daft. Similar problem with the cliff. Either way, it's possible to jump down from either area and work up to it again, if you really want to.

This was only a little level and designed in such away that hint signs explaining some of the features would have broken the immersion. I'm so hooked on the level editor that I expect to use the mod for any other level I make - including sequels to 'Do Not Pick Up The Key' and 'I Dreamed of the Sky' if I ever feel the motivation to make such things ('Ok, Pick Up The Key' - if only I could get someone to draw some cartoony cutscenes for me I'd be at it already).
I've no idea if levels made with the mod can be played without it if they don't use any features from it - I'm sure Ego can field an answer to that, though. Either way, if using it for a different style of level, I'd endeavour to explain one-way ledges and any similar thing if they cropped up.

I watched the director's commentary for 'Portal' a long time ago and it gave me a lot of good ideas. Using visual clues to represent certain features as a way of teaching the player to look out for something, or building the graphics to guide the player the way they need to look or move... They're techniques I try to use in my design; thank you Valve!

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 00:56:42 »
I watched the director's commentary for 'Portal' a long time ago and it gave me a lot of good ideas. Using visual clues to represent certain features as a way of teaching the player to look out for something, or building the graphics to guide the player the way they need to look or move... They're techniques I try to use in my design; thank you Valve!
I learned that from older games (although I agree that Valve does it very well), teaching you through gameplay instead of text is a great idea and makes the player feel great if they get it by themselves. But I have to admit it pretty much impossible to make it work for everyone.

I found your level very intuitive, but I can see how the switch and the part where you climb the lighthouse can catch some people off guard.

It was nice to see my nickname in such a nice font as well :P

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 02:00:56 »
It was nice to see my nickname in such a nice font as well :P

Glad you could read it! :P2

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 16:58:12 »
Got bored and played through the level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd22tUd-J78

One note, the lighthouse climbing it was kinda annoying to figure out, didn't notice there were 1 way areas.
Otherwise, an amazing map. (More opinions in video but they're mostly just complementing the level design)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 23:21:47 »
I was cringing every time you leapt off of the lighthouse, if that's any consolation.

Thanks for your comments. It's great to get feedback and really good to see a play-through. Kinda jealous of game companies who get to watch people play through their games as part of the development. :P

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 23:41:24 »
Every time I play one of your levels, I think "OK, this is amazing. This has to be the best Talps can do. There's just no way the next level could be better." Then I play the next level and find out I was wrong.

Suggestion: while "dreamed" is now considered valid English, "dreamt" used to be the correct form and sounds better, especially in a poem. Every time I saw "dreamed" I thought "dreamt", noticed that it said "dreamed" and lost my immersion.
I've never meta pun I didn't like.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 23:52:05 »
Thanks for your reply! And your compliments!

I did consider the spelling of that word a lot when I was coming up with the title and the poem (a lotta thought went into the small details of that poem). I always read dreamt to be pronounced to rhyme with 'unkempt' and dreamed to rhyme with 'seemed'. I usually say 'dreamed' and I felt that it sounded better in the poetry. But that's just me. Sorry I can't please everybody.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 23:54:52 by Talps »

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 00:03:59 »
I was cringing every time you leapt off of the lighthouse, if that's any consolation.

Thanks for your comments. It's great to get feedback and really good to see a play-through. Kinda jealous of game companies who get to watch people play through their games as part of the development. :P

If you'd like, the next time you make a map I could do a beta play-through and post it. Also, nah it's fine, I should've thought of the 1 way wall shift. (After all I'm doing a similar thing in my KS+ map) X)

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 01:02:16 »
Thanks for your reply! And your compliments!

I did consider the spelling of that word a lot when I was coming up with the title and the poem (a lotta thought went into the small details of that poem). I always read dreamt to be pronounced to rhyme with 'unkempt' and dreamed to rhyme with 'seemed'. I usually say 'dreamed' and I felt that it sounded better in the poetry. But that's just me. Sorry I can't please everybody.

I'd consider both spellings to be equally valid, so choosing one over the other isn't a big deal to me; in a piece of poetry, in particular, it's whichever version scans better  ;)

And since I'm already adding my two-penneth, I think the way you dealt with the upper level of the lighthouse was the best option by far. I find all the techniques that work in v1.2.1 far more jarringly incongruous anyway; even more so in a linear, story-driven level like this.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:05:20 by Widget »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 12:53:44 »
Yeah, I'll back up and say I though the light house trick was about the best it could have been.  I think we all are just going to have to get use to looking for 1 way walls.  Or... do you think we need to come up with a new visual standard?  Kind of like how black outlines clue into a solid?  White or grey line maybe?

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 18:22:26 »
I wouldn't try and come up with a universal standard for all levels. I don't think that'd ever work. Better for people to try and define the workings of their own levels as it comes. Sometimes we'll do it well and sometimes not so well, but that's part of amateur design.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 00:02:29 »
I think I was more looking for discussion and suggestions from the forum as a whole... though perhaps this isn't the right context for that.