[Environmental/Normal/Small - KS+] I Chased the Moon (V2 released)

• 47 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
I have gone against all I held dear and made an environmental level!

Download me!
No! No! Download me! I have a minor bugfix and am so much better than that rubbish old version!

No! Download ME! I have lots of edits and, frankly, I ROCK! Those old versions are LAME!

EDIT: Version 2 now released with some funky changes!

Spoiler: Version 2 Changelog (click to show/hide)

This was created for a KS competition. It's my first environmental and also my first KS level made for a KS mod; you'll need to download Egomassive's KS+ mod to play this level.

'I Chased the Moon' is a short environmental level depicting a moonlit journey through some pretty places. Focussing on atmosphere and ambience, it features some original, non-awful poetry written by me, some original tilesets and some glorious COs made by the brilliant Raicuparta.

Play it and please comment with your opinions! Feedback is wonderful!

Being lazy and reposting screenshots from the preview. If you want to see more, click the download link!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 17:57:40 by Talps »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Normal/Small - KS+] I Chased the Moon
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 14:01:27 »
It's ready! Downloading it now and I'll get to playing it right away. I've been really looking forward to this, even though it is an environmental ;)

As environmental levels go I was really quite impressed. The music is appropriate and adds to the feel of running through an illustrated poem, the tilesets are gorgeous and very well used and there's enough activity to keep it from being boring, as I can find some environmental levels. Oh, and the lighthouse CO is stunning.

I can't really judge this level as it deserves to be judged, not being much of an environmental fan, but it held my interest and the combination of the poem, mod, tilesets and COs was really nice to see. It's almost like a dream team showcase level
;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 14:26:00 by Widget »

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 14:32:16 »
Downloading...

OK, it was fantastic environmental level. Beautiful poem and music. Great work!  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 16:57:40 by ixMarcel »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 14:36:20 »
No words for this ... It's simply beautiful. I think I'm in love. <3

One very minor thing: The font was a little difficult to read for the credits.

Online Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 20:35:28 »
That was really beautiful. Finally some level of yours I was able to play from the beginning to end in one piece (I was never able to make last levels in IDotS, for example). I like music and water in the cleavages.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 22:05:27 »
This was quite a nice level.  My only complaint is that the way you randomly took the umbrella away and the way some passages closed off inexplicably after you went through them confused me quite a bit.

Regardless, I can see why you felt the need to use the KS+ mod for this.  The poem probably wouldn't hit as hard without those fading titles.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 23:14:23 »
Glad you guys liked this! I'm not normally a fan of environmental levels either, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to pull one off. Glad this is going down well.

The COs involving light, like the lighthouse and the windows, were made by the amazing Raicuparta.
Fubuka, passages closing off? I took the umbrella to stop people drifting off at the end. I didn't really want to but... I had to.
Purple, yeah, I don't know what possessed me to use that font. :/
Polana, thanks! But... I don't think 'cleavages' means what you think it means...

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 23:20:20 »
Polana, thanks! But... I don't think 'cleavages' means what you think it means...

Actually, cleavage primarily refers to the act of cleaving or the state of being cleft. The meaning you (and I) both immediately thought of is actually pretty modern, linguistically speaking, and may even be euphemistic slang.

That said, I think the word Polana meant was "clefts"; I don't think cleavage has a plural form.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 23:22:04 by Widget »

Online Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 23:36:55 »
Oh, I am sorry. I've found it in dictionary and I liked how does it sound. I did not know that that word does have more meanings (it is an old dictionary, but useful for school purposes, because it contains many long words, that sounds...well).
I definitely meant some crack in the rock filled by water.
I'm sorry and hoping that I did not more rough language accidentally again.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 01:17:24 »
Don't worry about it; english must be a real nuisance to learn since it's packed to bursting with synonyms. Just about every word you could have used for that meaning is or has been used as a slang term for some part or other of human anatomy :P

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 03:04:12 »
Don't worry about it; that's a pretty polite way of referring to that anatomical feature, as it happens. :P

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 06:22:55 »
Fubuka, passages closing off? I took the umbrella to stop people drifting off at the end. I didn't really want to but... I had to.

You spelt my name wrong, but oh well :P.  Allow me to point out a specific example then, cause I feel this was an intentional design decision on your part, and I just worded it in a way you didn't understand.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 12:23:24 »
Ah right, that and the one-way floors later on. I see what you mean now. I guess a working knowledge of KS+ was something both my beta-testers had, so they were ok with that stuff.
Still, all life is a learning experience!

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 18:39:14 »
I didn't even really think much of it when I came across these things. It could be because I have some experience with the mod. I checked to see if the ledge tiles were 2-way and then just went on when I discovered they weren't. I think people just aren't used to these subtle differences with levels made with the mod.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 19:05:01 »
Ah right, that and the one-way floors later on. I see what you mean now. I guess a working knowledge of KS+ was something both my beta-testers had, so they were ok with that stuff.
Still, all life is a learning experience!

You know, I figured that might have something to do with the mod.  I don't use KS+ very often, and just barely downloaded it again to play your level.  As such, I didn't bother getting the Level Editor + as well to have a look at those areas.

Love anything