[Environmental/Normal/Small - KS+] I Chased the Moon (V2 released)

• 47 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Environmental/Normal/Small - KS+] I Chased the Moon
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 15:58:33 »
Readers of this thread may like to know that I've put the tileset I did for this lovely level up for public use.

P.S. I found a really, really small SGE at Map x1019y995, Pos x10y3, Layer 0.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 16:05:20 by sergiocornaga »

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 08:27:33 »
Beautiful. but I want more! lol. It really looks good though - with the music and the poem - the tone is exquisite. Make a whole game out of it!

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 13:00:42 »
Thanks, it always feels a little tenuous trying to build up atmosphere like I did for this and it's great to hear you think it came together so well. I don't know if I could make another or a longer environmental but, well, maybe if an idea comes...

I do love a good challenge, though. :P It was fun to make this so serene but I think the danger helps you feel more - tension, frustration, triumph...

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 16:11:52 »
Wow. Wow, just... wow.

This is exactly what a Normal-difficulty Environmental level should be. As someone else pointed out, there's enough gameplay to keep it from getting boring; but nothing this LoCPer couldn't manage with a bit of trial and error.
Spoiler: Minor spoiler: (click to show/hide)

You did an absolutely amazing job of combining tilesets, backgrounds, sprites, decorations, COs; music and ambiance; fading titles & other KS+ features; and ohhh, that poem! -- to evoke a mood. I felt as enraptured by the night sky as the poet / Juni seemed to be. TBH, I was a little leery of trying this level, actually, since bad poetry is so much easier to write than good poetry, and so many aspiring poets haven't yet learned the difference. But like the keystone to an arch, it surmounted and held together all the other elements.

Things I particularly liked, in no particular order:
Spoiler: spoilered for length (click to show/hide)

If every KS level were half this good, it might be years before I played any other games again.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:05 »
    C)p
    Glad you liked it so much!

The bare bones of the poem was the first part of this I worked on - I have it scribbled in a notebook somewhere but I don't remember what inspired it. It didn't work so well alone and I had the idea of making a level to fit it, but my original idea didn't work well. Basically Juni would have climbed a tower, travelled through the sky, and descended on the far side at moonset. I wanted the ascent, crossing and descent to match the moon's journey. I wanted a panoramic starlit sky over an ocean. But setting most of the level at high altitude wouldn't be great. I could put in clouds, or umbrella paths... but it wouldn't look or play well.

When the competition came up to make a starry-sky themed environmental level, I had another look at this. I still wanted to start with Juni climbing a tower to give that feeling of ascending with the moon, and to make the ocean a major prescence. Giving the umbrella at the top of the tower let the subsequent descent be slower and so less significant than the climb (I had to stick in all those ghost blocks to stop the player wondering if they were lost!) which stopped the sense of height and journey from fading. Going back to the ocean reinforced its presence and the mountains and bridge gave back the panoramic feel of height, the journey of the moon across the sky. Areas where the moon was hidden were important transitions in design and (hopefully) atmosphere. Going back to the ocean for the ending bound it up.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 03:51:31 by Talps »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 15:00:46 »
Belated bug report: at x1007y997, you can just fall through the water into a void. Also, it just occurred to me you don't have an icon for this in your signature, should I make one?

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 15:21:45 »
Dang and blast!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as I was using KS+ for the first time, but still...

That is a good point. I think it came of knowing I would have to remake them all to match as I am such a Neanderthal that I can't even make bubble-text like yours. That and terminal procrastination brought on by the unsustainability of this method assuming I keep producing levels. But if you'd like to make one, I would be grateful. :) (If you need a word at the top, 'Environmental' would be appropriate ;))

Edit: Uploaded a version with bugfix and replaced the link in the opening post.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 15:29:36 by Talps »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 15:52:12 »
Good job! Though I see the tiny SGE I mentioned a year ago remains.

I'll make one in the next couple of days, hopefully I kept the original template somewhere...

I know a lot about terminal procrastination! I still aim to finish that one tileset for you some day.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2015, 15:38:39 »
This level is just beautiful. I really like it - and the poem is wonderful.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 21:16:04 »
Thanks! <3

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2015, 17:42:21 »
What ho!

While procrastinating over 'Dragon Myth' I spent some time making a few changes to this, to iron out some of the creases and generally improve both prettiness and playability.

Download 'I Chased the Moon V2' from Knyttlevels.com!

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Normal/Small - KS+] I Chased the Moon (V2 released)
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2015, 18:42:36 »
I suppose now's as good a time (only over two years late, after all) as any other to say that I really enjoy this level!  The little details like having the lights turn on/off and having a jump-through platform in the mountain climbing bit really brought that extra ounce of life to the whole thing.  The only complaint I really have is that the choice of music gets too loud, and it makes it a little tougher to drink in the visual environment, but it works, otherwise.  Good work, as always!
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Mitorun

• Web Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Knytt Stories fan website
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2015, 19:56:51 »
Thank you for the music Isaac Shepard, it's perfect!

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2015, 00:23:09 »
Awesome. Of course I had to play again. I actually forgot about this level when I made the statement that PoaDF was my second favourite Talps level. This one may hold that title. It's hard to pick one!

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 11:25:20 »
To me, this is the best just pure enviromental level I've ever played. I had completely missed it until now and I was just in a trance throughout the entire thing. Very beautiful!  :)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island