little suggestion

• 8 Replies
little suggestion
« on: January 18, 2013, 14:27:02 »
the game is fantastic, no word for describe but i found i thing that could be updated: the map! the map is all in blue and we can't see various levels/zone
what about create a "dynamic" map that show all the areas? could be useful for find levels very quick, i can't remember all the zone/levels because is a very very big world :D

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Re: little suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 17:52:21 »
Levels...?

Offline Haploid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 21:46:18 »
Levels...?
He means things like the Infinite Darkness, Utopioca and the Underwater Laboratory. Clearly recognizable areas.

Have to agree. I remember where to find a few areas (the ones I mentioned above), but the rest of the map is just a big blur in hindside. :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 22:53:26 »
As I've been part of the beta team, I can tell you that the map is very hard to change. It may be possible, but it will be very difficult. I doubt Nifflas wants to make such changes, especially since it can only go in the PC/mac/linux version while not in the Playstation version (Nifflas has no control over that build, and has to hope the devs will update it too.)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 23:09:44 »
In addition to what LPChip said, there's a few other things that I think would be worth a note. First, coloring the entire map colors that can be both recognized and unique would be hard; it's a big map. Not to mention it'll look ugly. Finally, the game has no 'areas', it's a seemless world, or at least, that's what it's meant to play like, and I happen to think the map reflects that.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 00:42:14 »
There absolutely are areas in the game. Like the examples Haploid gave: The Underwater Lab and Utopioca look like no other place in the game and there are many more areas that are just as unique. Also, I find it very hard to believe that a non-ugly coloring system for the map would be as impossible as you say, technical limits aside.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:20:58 »
That's true, it's just that some areas flow very slowly into others, so it could be hard to color those. As for the amount of colors, I meant that it'd be pretty hard to not re-use colors or make the map more confusing, given the sheer amount of screens in the map. I apologize if I've worded wrongly, though.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 02:58:51 »
I actually thought about making a map like that just for my reference, but I found it didn't really make sense. Most of the areas are so small it didn't make sense to put them in, and I could never remember what color I assigned each area. I pretty much know where the really big areas are, so it ended up feeling like it would be a waste of time  :/

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:16:04 »
Yeah, the map could use an improvement like that.

When I first started playing, I wrote down coordinates of interesting places in Notepad, but later the more I played the less notes I took. Would've been kinda useless for non-PS players anyway.

I agree with Blox on colors though. There is only so many that can be used before the thing becomes garish or confusingly similar, especially considering the limitations. :P