Soundtrack release?

• 18 Replies

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Soundtrack release?
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:14:10 »
Are there any plans to release a soundtrack to Knytt Underground? I know I can access the music in my game files but I'd love to have it in a more accessible format. There's some really great music in this game so well done to everyone involved!
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Soundtrack release?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 05:03:58 »
Because the music is separated into layers, it's plenty of work arranging them into something that works for a soundtrack. Having said that, I'd love to make the effort and put it together. Right now I'm a bit exhausted, but maybe when I've rested a bit.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:07:36 »
Isn't it possible to write a program that basically reads from the game to produce songs on the fly? You just put it on to make it go, and create .wav files that you then can batch compress to mp3/ogg?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline D Fast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:02:07 »
An arranged version of the OST could be the way to go.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 13:50:07 »
I like both ideas. An arranged OST would be great, but on the other hand it'd be fun with an algorithmic music player that combines the layers on the fly so that the soundtrack sounds different every time you listen to it :)

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 16:09:19 »
That sounds awesome, but also less accessible since you'd need special software to listen to it. I'm with D Fast - if you want to release an algorithmic soundtrack you should release an arranged one alongside it for those of us who want it on our mp3 players.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 16:14:06 »
That sounds awesome, but also less accessible since you'd need special software to listen to it. I'm with D Fast - if you want to release an algorithmic soundtrack you should release an arranged one alongside it for those of us who want it on our mp3 players.

The software could include an output to wave so nifflas can pre-render some music and put it as a soundtrack release, with an optional player for those who want new unique stuff. Hench, he could even make a game or music player out of it that'll produce random music based on some numbers/buttons to make you get some complete random streaming music.

I think that would be really cool.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 03:51:54 »
would be nice to have a soundtrack release in any form. maybe even one inspired by the game.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 14:28:28 »
Now I've finished the game I really miss the music.  Another +1 for a soundtrack in any form  8)

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:27:23 »
I've got a pile of converted and touched up MP3s of the game music. I don't wanna force hands, but are you going to be releasing the soundtrack soon? I've got a pile of friends who want this, and with no word on that, I might just treat this like I treat other game soundtracks that don't get officially released.

If you don't make it available, someone has to.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 22:09:57 »
We don't actually have any right to the music on its own unless Nifflas says so. Even suggesting forcing the issue like this is rude. No one has to make it available, it's Nifflas' call.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:31:17 »
Maybe, I won't argue I'm not a little rude. Won't make the files public myself. This is just for me and a couple of friends. Just saying an official way to get it would just be nice before people resort to something else.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 04:56:31 »
As Nifflas said earlier in this thread, he'd like to put out an OST soon but is fatigued from development. If you and your friends can't wait, it probably doesn't matter too much provided you support a presumably higher-quality official release if it happens.

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 03:42:26 »
I came here looking for word on a Soundtrack release. I'd buy one if/when it happens :)

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 02:23:59 »
Since the game comes unloaded with all the workings (tilesets, sounds, and what have you), I decided to have a go at making something of all the background music (as layers) myself.

I will not put it up for public download unless all the artists and Nifflas are okay with it.
Mind you, that's a big call, I would probably end up separating the artists works from one another, seeing as they're labeled already, so whatever is accepted.

If I post it anyway, I will only allow it for people who have bought and owned the game. But I am willing to keep it to myself by request to do so.