Will there be a level editor?

• 46 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Will there be a level editor?
« on: January 07, 2013, 21:13:43 »
I heard discussion on the matter back when this game was still in development, but I am wondering if a level editor for Knytt Underground is still underway, and if so, what is the ETA on that?

I ask because I would personally be overjoyed if I could make custom levels for this game, and the way the Knytt Underground folder is lain out seems to suggest that it was built with an editor in mind.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Will there be a level editor?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 21:47:25 »
Yes. There is most likely going to be an editor. ETA is unknown though. Nifflas mentioned he does want to bring out an editor, but the current one is messy and buggy, so it needs to be completely rewritten if it can be released to the public.

Nifflas has done so many development for Knytt Underground in the past years that he's going to take a break before starting on this.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:52:48 »
Yep. From Nifflas right here:

Quote from: Nifflas on Reddit
I really want to make a level editor for Knytt Underground, the one I currently have is quirky and difficult to use since it's only intended for myself, and it's quite some hard work to make a new editor due to how advanced the game's level format is. Though I'm not sure when or if, I'd love if the game had an editor though.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:28:01 »
Here's hoping an editor also comes out for PS.  Unfortunately, I find that very unlikely.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:43:41 »
Having emulated rpg-maker titles on some consoles, I'm not sure how useful that would actually be. Console-based level-editors/game-makers tend to end up as a very slow, awkward way to reorder existing game content; it sounds like a lot of work for very little gain, although this is only half-educated guesswork.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:35:51 »
^ Well, you can attach a keyboard and mouse to the PS3, so the only differences would be in file management (that could be handled by the editor itself) and the ways to gather artwork for your level. But yeah, probably too much effort unless they think they can monetize it via the store.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:30:52 »
Its unlikely that there will be a PS version of the editor.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline EhPlus

• phoomp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 04:58:04 »
A level editor on the PS3 sounds quirky, but if Nifflas can integrate a user-friendly level editor around Knytt Stories ease for the PC, I'd be all over that.  :^^:

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 06:51:13 »
A level editor on the PS3 sounds quirky, but if Nifflas can integrate a user-friendly level editor around Knytt Stories ease for the PC, I'd be all over that.  :^^:

I don't think we'll be seeing an editor with the simplicity of Knytt Stories'. Much like with Saira's editor (though maybe to a lesser extent), KU will be more complicated to make levels for because it's so much more graphically complex, let alone all the other ways in which it's more complex than KS.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:44:32 »
For sure. Alone by the fact that it involves python scripting for doing about anything in the game. (from teleporting to opening doors to quest dialogs)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 23:15:20 »
That's a shame to hear.  Although ego's KS+ is almost done, I was thinking that a KU editor would be a lot of fun, even though I still prefer the KS feel an physics.  But if you have to do scripting... well, not sure my patience, limited time, and brain could handle that.  XP

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 00:02:21 »
That's a shame to hear.  Although ego's KS+ is almost done, I was thinking that a KU editor would be a lot of fun, even though I still prefer the KS feel an physics.  But if you have to do scripting... well, not sure my patience, limited time, and brain could handle that.  XP

The scripting is really minimal though. If you dive into it, even if its just copy/pasting existing scripts, you can do a lot already.

Here's an example of what a phyton script can be:

def function_keypress(identifier):
    if (identifier == 'Blurbloble'):
        global_script.simple_choice_npc('Blurbloble')

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 01:22:56 »
What does that mean? There's no 'Blurbloble' key is Keys Setup :/

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 03:06:23 »
I'm sure we would see user made scripting guides, similar to the user made level .ini guides we've seen for KS.
LPChip: Can't a platform be built to write scripts when you give it basic information? This would allow for all things up to a certain level of complexity to be covered entirely, making the user have to work on scripts himself only when he is trying to do something more complex...

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 08:28:14 »
What does that mean? There's no 'Blurbloble' key is Keys Setup :/

Well, it's just an example. It could be any key already bound but that would interfere with existing commands; as an alternative, I assume it'd be possible to define a unique 'Blurbloble' key which would call the (also as-yet-undefined) 'Blurbloble' script if pressed... I think, anyway.

Forgive me if that's all wrong, though. I've never dabbled with coding anything :P