Easy, basic tool for creating soundscapes?

• 27 Replies

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: Easy, basic tool for creating soundscapes?
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 23:58:10 »
There are some really promising loops there. Possibly slowed down and combined with some kind of environmental samples (wind blowing, water dripping, leaves rustling..). Fiddling with the relative levels to de-emphasize the "tinniness" of some of the notes might help aswell; it does want to end up as a "background" element to the level, I would have thought.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry  ;)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 00:13:30 »
There are some really promising loops there. Possibly slowed down and combined with some kind of environmental samples (wind blowing, water dripping, leaves rustling..). Fiddling with the relative levels to de-emphasize the "tinniness" of some of the notes might help aswell; it does want to end up as a "background" element to the level, I would have thought.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry  ;)

No need to apologise! Yeah, these aren't really attempts at scoring my level yet; just me playing around, getting to know this toy/tool. But that's about the complexity level I was looking for... fool-proof, noob-friendly stuff! :D I'll have to look into recording and editing stuff...

In theory I could also record my guitar, I suppose (though I can barely play anything... but then, I'm not really looking for songs here, just... sounds. I'm sure I could make some useable sounds on the guitar. No idea how to record stuff, though. My guitar does have a pickup, but I don't have an amp...

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 01:39:58 »
Apparently you can hook up an electric (or, presumably, electro-acoustic) guitar directly to your soundcard's mic. in and work from there. The article I looked at said it isn't likely to produce a quality recording but it might be worth a try just to play around with  :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 15:54:02 »
Apparently you can hook up an electric (or, presumably, electro-acoustic) guitar directly to your soundcard's mic. in and work from there. The article I looked at said it isn't likely to produce a quality recording but it might be worth a try just to play around with  :)

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind - for later levels, probably... In fact, I should probably concentrate on finishing my level, and leave the music to someone else for now, as there are currently people willing to help. But I do want to learn to make my own music eventually.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 17:32:31 »
Oh god, I'm still playing around with that tonematrix thing. Arrrrrrrgh.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 19:14:02 »
Nice. Very video-gamey!

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 20:51:58 »
Audiotool does offer more than just tonematrix. In fact, you can use tonematrix inside audiotool too and add effects, which will be your next step no doubt.

To show what is possible, here's an example I made today: http://www.audiotool.com/track/mellow_vibe/

Its a really good song for a knytt stories level, and for that reason: anyone, feel free to use it. :)

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 23:07:24 »
Wow. Looks like I do need to play around a bit with that, yes! Maybe not for Falling Water... but I have other level ideas...

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 07:54:50 »
Audiotool does offer more than just tonematrix. In fact, you can use tonematrix inside audiotool too and add effects, which will be your next step no doubt.

To show what is possible, here's an example I made today: http://www.audiotool.com/track/mellow_vibe/

Its a really good song for a knytt stories level, and for that reason: anyone, feel free to use it. :)

That would be really good for a level that limits you to walking for a few minutes; something interesting to listen to while moving at a snail's pace and, though I'm not exactly blessed musically (so I could be very wrong), it sounds like it's in about the right time-signature to tie-in with the walk animation.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:32 »
Hmm, yeah I think that could work. Its a BPM of 50, and 50 frames per second for the walking animation could just be it (25x2).

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 13:08:14 »
Wow. Looks like I do need to play around a bit with that, yes! Maybe not for Falling Water... but I have other level ideas...

I wanted to show you how I do it so you can learn from it. As a result this has been born. :) Enjoy.

MODPlug Central Forum