• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
Re: Why must games be free?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 18:51:02 »
saira isn't free

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 18:59:38 »
I know, but it's pretty much the only game that isn't free.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 19:00:50 »
...FiNCK?

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 19:02:02 »
I've got my hands on a freeware, non-pirated copy of FiNCK.

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 19:07:46 »
minmay meant the custom level stuff

also:
night sky?

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 19:20:56 »
minmay meant the custom level stuff
Actually, he meant the cheapest expansion pack there is.
night sky?
That sky hasn't come out yet.

Let's just end this discussion. Bass is banned for months now.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 19:36:54 »
why did you feel the apparently impossible-to-fight urge to open the discussion again in the first place then? 9_9
wait, I don't want to know, it'd just lead more offtopic and would be just as unneeded.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 23:05:36 »
Once again:

But I do have a problem with posting semi-free games.

You play a game, and then you get addicted, and must pay to play the entire game. There are lots of good free games. In the past, we didn't allowed it, and I don't see a reason why we suddenly should allow demo's, shareware, etc.

The entire idea is: Nifflas has made all his games for free (with exception of nightgame and possible future games) but they're all still free. We do not want to obligate members to play only half a game, especially if discussions start to happen about games that you can only take part of, after you've bought the game.

Example of something I want to prevent:

Someone posts a game with demo version. The person itself bought it.

Another person bought it too, but got stuck in level 15 and he posts his question about it. Another person then wants to help, but he finds out that he doesn't even have the full version, meaning that he misses out on everything.

So once again: No, only entirelly free games are allowed. If at some point you have to pay to get to play everything, then simply don't post about it. Telling about it at IRC is okay though.

And

Sorry to be blunt here, but...

I will keep providing the reasoning why we aren't allowing it, but we will not change this. So unless you are unsure about why we do it, asking us to change this policy is useless.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 19:34:35 »
But I do have a problem with posting semi-free games.

You play a game, and then you get addicted, and must pay to play the entire game. There are lots of good free games. In the past, we didn't allowed it, and I don't see a reason why we suddenly should allow demo's, shareware, etc.

The entire idea is: Nifflas has made all his games for free (with exception of nightgame and possible future games) but they're all still free. We do not want to obligate members to play only half a game, especially if discussions start to happen about games that you can only take part of, after you've bought the game.

Example of something I want to prevent:

Someone posts a game with demo version. The person itself bought it.

Another person bought it too, but got stuck in level 15 and he posts his question about it. Another person then wants to help, but he finds out that he doesn't even have the full version, meaning that he misses out on everything.

So once again: No, only entirelly free games are allowed. If at some point you have to pay to get to play everything, then simply don't post about it. Telling about it at IRC is okay though.

Quote from: A made-up topic called "Help me! Stuck at Nyquist-Meyer..."
MyMyocardiumHurts: Can anyone help me? I can't even get past the first puzzle, man this is hard...

ToDo-GetALife: One sec dude, I'll fire up Saira and check this out...

EDIT: Wait what system is this?

MyMyocardiumHurts: Goldschmidt. Please respond ASAP!

ToDo-GetALife: I can't get there...

MyMyocardiumHurts: Oh you've got the demo, man that's too bad...sorry  :(

Quote from: A made-up topic called "The Nuclear Factory (FiNCK) help..."
xxSaraxx: i cant figure out how to do that puzzle with the two bombs at the beginning????????? plz help me!

SmexyGal69: hold on gal i gonna check dis out

edit: wait wat the nuclear factory?????????

xxSaraxx: yes its a custom level...oh wait you dont have custom level support? too bad girl, id buy it for you but im broke  :( thanks for trying to help anyway!!!!!! XOXOXO

What now? This kind of scenario is entirely possible. Nifflas has got two games out that require you to pay: Saira and FiNCK. Okay, one level of FiNCK is freeware, but custom level support costs. And don't say "WTFD00D THATS LIKE THE CHEAPEST ADDON EVERR!!!!!". Cheap or not, you still have to pay.

(I'm convinced the mods will just say "GAMES YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR ARE A WASTE OF SPACE. SHUT UP.")

=|=
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 19:36:25 by Yukabacera »
:hiddenstar: My only one.

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 20:50:41 »
What now? The kind of scenario LPChip wants to prevent is entirely possible with Nifflas' games.
Hey, wait, that's right! ...except for one thing. What are the odds that someone like ToDo-GetALife or SmexyGal69 actually goes to a board that obviously contains such topics?

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 21:11:06 »
They're just example usernames. You really shouldn't take them seriously.  :P2

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 21:19:46 »
I think the difference is that we want to encourage people to buy Nifflas' games. And many here do. (And we don't care too much about convincing people to buy other people's stuff).

Since this forum focuses on Niff's creations, it is far more likely to find people here who can help you in places about his games (even when not free), whereas games from other creators most likely have their own (sub)forum someplace else where you can discuss them extensively and get all the help you need.

also I think Straightflame possibly meant that people who don't have the full version of a game won't try to help in situations that obviously are about the full version.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 21:48:59 »
They're just example usernames.
I know, and i also know that doesn't have anything to do with my objection.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 23:47:57 »
There are a few reasons why the situation as described above is set as it is now.

1. The staff checks most (if not all) games that are being posted here. We do not want our younger visitors who come here being disturbed because someone posted a game with some 16+ or 18+ content in it. This can be horror based or even sex based. We have children visiting here that go down as young as 8 years (perhaps even younger).

2. This forum is made to share great free games you have played and you want to tell others about it. Its not the kind of forum to just chat about any popular game, also because this might overshadow Nifflas' game or even create a popular vs indie gamewar. Sure, I could make a topic about Call of Duty 4 (Though this would break the 16+ age limit) and tell how good I am in this game and how much I love it, but this is so much different from what games are generally being posted here. Besides, there are a lot of great gamesites to feature these games. If you really want to start a conversation about one of these non-free games, then use IRC.

3. The staff cannot change the way Nifflas brings his games. We're merely happy to be part of it all, just like you. Besides, we do support Nifflas and the way he wants to make a living out of his gamedevelopment.

4. True, its possible with Nifflas' games to come to a point that someone seeks help and doesn't have the full version because it costs money. Nifflas' games do not cost much, and I think I'm safe to say that when you speak of a Nifflas game, whether its free or not, you know before you play it, that you'll have a great time. Its almost an insurance that you can safely buy his game because you know on beforehand that it will be a great game anyway.

5. Don't forget, we created this forum as part of the off-topic chatter that we used to have but got out of control. In the worst case, where it seems that people do not want to have this very forum in the way it is now, is that we remove it all together.

I guess it all comes down to this: The vision of this forum is, share things for free, with the exception that Nifflas needs a little bit of cash to support himself.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 03:56:05 »
I guess it all comes down to this: The vision of this forum is, share things for free, with the exception that Nifflas needs a little bit of cash to support himself.
XD
I couldn't have said it better myself (which is probably why you are a mod, and i aint  :crazy:)
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot