Why must games be free?

• 57 Replies

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
Re: Why must games be free?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 16:58:09 »
It's a free games forum because we like free games more than games you have to pay for. (Well, at least I do.)
I, for one, don't want to waste my money on buying a game when I could get another game for free and like it just as much, if not more.

Sorry if I don't make sense; I just woke up. Feel free to break down my arguments in whatever way you see fit.
grao!

4a

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 18:15:20 »
Because you don't want to advertise games that someone goes out to buy just because you praise it and post maybe one good screenshot. The idea behind this board is to share great games, not tell people to buy them.

Don't you advertise every game you post? And its pretty hard to tell ppl what to do over internet.

Advertising usually means praising something with the intent of getting someone to buy a product. It's not really the same thing if you're just saying a free game is fun. And it is very easy to tell people what to do over the internet. I could tell someone to fly like a pig--that doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 18:46:53 »
There has to be some restriction on exactly which games can be posted. On the old forum, there were some borderline cases. The (commercial) DROD games were posted, but allowed once it was made clear one of the DROD games was free. The Spore Creature Creator demo was posted, and never locked or deleted, even though it is a demo in the sense explicitly prohibited here- it contains one-fourth of the parts available in the actual commercial Spore game, and then the Creature Creator ties in heavily to the much larger game itself.

It's a free games forum because we like free games more than games you have to pay for. (Well, at least I do.)
I, for one, don't want to waste my money on buying a game when I could get another game for free and like it just as much, if not more.

No two games can give the player the exact same experience (unless one is a cheap clone of the other). Having a (free) game you like as much as another (commercial) game doesn't mean that the free game can be an adequate substitute for the experience provided by the commercial game, and the other way around. It's like saying, "Why buy new novels when I can read public domain books online for free?" It isn't wrong, but it limits your opportunities for new experiences considerably. (I mean, beyond the immediate attraction of not having to pay for one experience, of course.)
good bye

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 19:29:15 »
Sorry to be blunt here, but...

I will keep providing the reasoning why we aren't allowing it, but we will not change this. So unless you are unsure about why we do it, asking us to change this policy is useless.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

4a

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 19:37:05 »
Sorry to be blunt here, but...

I will keep providing the reasoning why we aren't allowing it, but we will not change this. So unless you are unsure about why we do it, asking us to change this policy is useless.

That's not blunt enough!
You have to say, "Shut up! We're not changing it and that's final!"

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 19:39:56 »
That's not blunt enough!
You have to say, "Shut up! We're not changing it and that's final!"
Thats another way to put it... C)

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 19:06:05 »
Bluntness gets the point across. :P2

RuneScape was posted and promptly deleted.
good work.

If only the same could be said of the real thing, eh?  <_<
amen. XD
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:35 »
I wonder if Puzzle Pirates would be deleted as well if it is posted here. I mean, if you are on the right server, you don't have to pay to get that special currency, you can get it at the bank. So its free/semi-semi-free

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 01:16:00 »
Given the nature of that game, I'd say no, it doesn't qualify as free.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 11:41:32 »
Thanks for telling.

Offline Bass

• View Profile
    • BassNet
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 09:28:12 »
Nifflas' games aren't free.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26:51 »
Nifflas' games aren't free.

Your point?

MODPlug Central Forum

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 15:50:00 »
Bass, i know you're banned, and that this topic has pretty much died, but that doesn't keep me from telling you that Nifflas' games are free.

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 15:51:49 »
saira?

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 16:56:11 »
saira?
Knytt Stories? FiNCK? WaDF? Car Game? Geoffrey The Fly? ModArchive Story? Any other game?