[Normal/Misc/Exploration][KS+] Advena

• 80 Replies
Re: [Normal/Misc/Exploration][KS+] Advena
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2014, 11:06:00 »
Yay it's not cancelled anymore! The screenshots look great, probably because of the colours.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2014, 02:27:29 »
Progress report time. Things are going albeit slowly. Probably going to stretch to 3 months like Fubaka predicted lol. Anyway, finished another area today (30+ screens worth) which only leaves like 6 more to do. I have no idea what the total screen count is, at least 700 probably. Anyway, here's a couple of promised screenshots.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2015, 09:05:55 »
This looks very nice! How's progress on this map since you last posted, anyway?

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2015, 03:06:23 »
Wow has it really been a year? To be honest I forgot about this project for some time. Not to mention life happenings getting in the way of things. But I am currently working on this again! :) At the moment I'm finishing up the big secret area (over 100 screens) which practically amounts to its own level. So yeah. This project definitely isn't dead. It's just going to take a little while to finish up. I guess Fubaka's prediction about three months should have been three years lol.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2015, 07:41:14 »
Hey, as long as it happens at some point while my heart still beats I don't care how late it is. :P
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2015, 20:14:05 »
Progress continues! I've gone through and edited nearly 60 screens, improving visuals and ambiance. In addition, I've added several new screens and improved some tilesets. I've tried to reduce as much backtracking as possible but there are still some secrets and things that will require backtracking.

Here are a couple new screenshots for you guys.

I've also updated the initial post to reflect some changes to the level overall. One major change is that there is now only one ending. I feel this better suits the level.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 20:24:45 by Purple Ink »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2015, 05:04:31 »
Progress continues! I've gone through and edited nearly 60 screens, improving visuals and ambiance. In addition, I've added several new screens and improved some tilesets. I've tried to reduce as much backtracking as possible but there are still some secrets and things that will require backtracking.

Great to see you're still working this! All your different tilesets and screenshots suggest a monumental undertaking.  :shocked:

Here are a couple new screenshots for you guys.

I've also updated the initial post to reflect some changes to the level overall. One major change is that there is now only one ending. I feel this better suits the level.

Screenshots look great. I like the detail in the cave, and the simplicity in the Monochrome one.

(FYI the screenshots didn't show up for me in the forum. I had to copy-and-paste the URLs in my browser. You might double-check your forum code.)

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2015, 06:56:09 »
This looks GREAT! How close do you think you are to finishing the level?

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2015, 03:54:47 »
Ugh. Been lazy lately so I haven't done much. One big thing I did do is decide to use just one style of clouds throughout Advena (because I really like them). This could be stale but they'll be different shades on different backgrounds so they'll look different enough. I think.

Anyway, what this means is that I have to re-arrange 6 tilesets which means I'll have to re-draw all those screens again. This is fine because I have to redo them anyway to re-draw the new clouds in each area. There's at least 100 screens to redo. So yeah.

(FYI the screenshots didn't show up for me in the forum. I had to copy-and-paste the URLs in my browser. You might double-check your forum code.)

Oh. Well I looked and it checks out. So maybe it was just you? I don't know.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2015, 23:38:42 »
Thanks for the update. Very much looking forward to this level and I know it will be nothing short of amazing.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2015, 03:13:05 »
Welp. Been working pretty steadily on this. Things accomplished since last update: improved a couple tilesets, finished some secrets, improved some secrets, added a couple new secrets, made level-wide improvements, finally implemented the swim tiles (which unfortunately means I've gotten rid of the splash sound when entering water because it was too awkward), almost finished updating all tilesets with clouds, and remade almost all screen with new cloud tiles. Just three more areas to finish and all trophies will be placed in the level too.

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2015, 07:27:52 »
really looking forward to this too.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2016, 00:15:08 »
Still working away, albeit slower than recently. I have managed to finish up a couple more areas and started work on a few more. At this rate I should finish this level sometime this decade. Here's some screenshots.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2016, 20:43:01 »
Still working away, albeit slower than recently. I have managed to finish up a couple more areas and started work on a few more. At this rate I should finish this level sometime this decade.

No worries. You're still more likely to finish your level before I even get halfway through my next big one.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2016, 05:46:27 »
So I used Vegetal Gibber's utility and there are currently 1397 screens in Advena. More than I thought there were and a bit bigger than I originally intended the level to be. I guess having things like a secret area with over 100 screens will do that. X) There are 3 and a half sections to finish plus some connecting areas. Then it's just a matter of adding some finishing things and this level will finally be finished! Also work has slowed down because a lot of my KS focus has shifted to working on a level for the epic level competition. But I will continue to work on both and should be able to finish Advena soon. I'm going on a trip for 10 days so I won't be able to work on KS but it should only be a couple more weeks until this level is ready.