Linux Betas

• 59 Replies

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
Re: Linux Betas
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 04:58:12 »
I suspect the audio issues are due to the way I compiled OpenAL-Soft. If you are having audio issues, please provide the audio backend you use (PulseAudio, ALSA, OSS, etc.) along with your bug report. Thanks!

Offline Hyeron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 17:24:42 »
x64 build works beautifully on Arch x64 after renaming libopenal.so.1 (very common problem, very common solution).

Have a nice day and thanks for the game. :)

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 13:13:16 »
Gentoo Linux 64 bit
Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series
fglrx driver
pulseaudio

runs great

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 13:05:19 »
Just tested the demo and it seems to work perfectly, just like in Wine (maybe loads a little bit faster), sound, effects and everything.

Mageia 3 (Beta) 64-bit
PulseAudio 3.0.0
Intel graphics (Sandy Bridge I think; my laptop has nybrid graphics but only the discrete card works) with latest drivers
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 20:47:50 »
Ran the Beta 1 demo on Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-Bit with Nvidia proprietary drivers (Geforce 9600 GT) and everything is smooth. I did notice one instance of audio distortion (crackles and pops) which lasted a minute or so and that I wasn't able to reproduce (using PulseAudio as the backend).

Also, gamepad support? Please? :)

Offline Mathias

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 16:06:08 »
x64 build works beautifully on Arch x64 after renaming libopenal.so.1 (very common problem, very common solution).

Have a nice day and thanks for the game. :)

Could you elaborate? What did you have to rename libopenal.so.1 to?

Offline Haploid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 19:39:18 »
Could you elaborate? What did you have to rename libopenal.so.1 to?
Rename it to anything, really. You could even delete it, but just in case you need it back later, rename it to libopenal.so.1.bak or something.

Offline Hyeron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 00:08:07 »
(VERY) Minor bug report: when disabling Portable mode in Game.ini, the saved data is stored under ~/.Nifflas\Knytt Underground. That should probably be ~/.Nifflas/Knytt Underground.

And indeed, libopenal.so.1 can be renamed to anything (or plain deleted, but I'd rather not, you never know :)).

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 01:11:48 »
Yeah, that will be sorted out in the next update which should be released super soon. I'll also default to non-portable mode on OS X and Linux instead of mode to make it easier for users to update the game without having to transfer savedata between versions (Well, obviously the data will have to be transfered from the initial release to this new one, but it'll prevent it to be a problem after this update).

Offline ikn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 21:38:35 »
Runs almost perfectly smoothly on my integrated Intel graphics here; sound's fine once I get it to use the system libopenal as detailed above.  And it's fun, which is always good.

You might want to go by the freedesktop spec for the save data.  A desktop entry would be nice too.

Offline ikn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 17:18:08 »
Oh, I forgot a couple of things:

In fullscreen mode, my panel (Xfce Panel (4.10.0)) shows up above the game window.  This is using Compiz 0.8.8 on 64-bit Arch Linux.

And unrelated, but since I only registered to post here: I got sent my forum password in a plaintext email when I registered - not a great idea.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 19:23:05 »
Yeah, seems that SMF does that with passwords. I agree it's bad practice, maybe we can modify SMF to not do this.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 20:27:23 »
Yeah, seems that SMF does that with passwords. I agree it's bad practice, maybe we can modify SMF to not do this.

That'll be really hard. But its very common practice on forumsoftware and thus far there haven't been much (if at all) incidents with this. You register your account and its being sent to your email. If you're really suspicious, just change your password as soon as you get that mail and you're done. The passwords are encrypted on the server so its secure enough. I don't see a reason to change this, honestly.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 21:54:37 »
One question about joypad support.

I launched the demo with strace and saw that the game detects joypads (/dev/js*). Does this mean joypad support is there but doesn't work? Or is it just incomplete?
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 23:55:38 »

That'll be really hard. But its very common practice on forumsoftware and thus far there haven't been much (if at all) incidents with this. You register your account and its being sent to your email. If you're really suspicious, just change your password as soon as you get that mail and you're done. The passwords are encrypted on the server so its secure enough. I don't see a reason to change this, honestly.
I see a problem, it's just bad practice to ever show passwords as a non-hash. What if someone else is looking at the computer screen while you're reading the mail? What if somebody steals the computer?

I can't imagine this being hard to change (probably just modifying a single php file, or maybe even just a language file), but right now I unfortunately need to focus on Knytt Underground and the coming press push before I look into this. Some hard work is ahead of me, but remind me after and I'll see if I can fix it.