This game requires quick reflexes, doesn't it?

• 15 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
This game requires quick reflexes, doesn't it?
« on: December 23, 2012, 21:09:05 »
I've recently had it officially (medically) confirmed that my reaction times are longer than those of 95% of the relevant control group (for my age, gender and general background), so this explains why I've never been able to play games that require fast reactions. So... the reviews are making me think this is a game that I probably don't even need to try - a game requiring quick reactions... or is it?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: This game requires quick reflexes, doesn't it?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 21:13:20 »
Well, some challenges requires some fast precision movement skills. The game is very friendly about checkpoints though and it's non-linear (especially chapter 3) so you can skip many areas. Check out the game demo on the website, if you can complete that, you can definitely play the full version.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 21:31:16 »
Well, some challenges requires some fast precision movement skills. The game is very friendly about checkpoints though and it's non-linear (especially chapter 3) so you can skip many areas. Check out the game demo on the website, if you can complete that, you can definitely play the full version.

Okay, I'll give it a try then. I really love exploring, and your graphics style, but Saira, for example, was too hard for me. :-( Thanks for your reply!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 21:36:56 »
I had some trouble with the difficulty in Saira too, but KU is really forgiving. Its not so much about reflexes, its more about timing and movement skills.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 21:37:26 »
I can unfortunately not guarantee it won't require reflexes that are too quick for you. However, I have an idea; sooner or later I need to update the game (I'm sure that we will find some small issues to fix), and I could add in a slow-motion button that can be enabled through the game options. Keep an eye on the forum, I'll announce this if I add it.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 23:06:17 »
I can unfortunately not guarantee it won't require reflexes that are too quick for you. However, I have an idea; sooner or later I need to update the game (I'm sure that we will find some small issues to fix), and I could add in a slow-motion button that can be enabled through the game options. Keep an eye on the forum, I'll announce this if I add it.

That would be incredibly awesome!

I've started playing, btw, and it's very beautiful indeed.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 15:56:57 »
Well, I've started chapter 2 now, and... I give up. The ball is too fast for me. I just can't react quickly enough. (Also, I seem to have a poor grasp on bouncy ball physics, lol. I didn't even get out of the very first cave after the Nicklas sprite left me to my own devices.) :-(

Ah well. More time for Knytt Stories level building, I suppose. Though I would have loved to play this. There aren't enough exploration games out there... or maybe not enough exploration games for people with slow reflexes. (Or, more precisely: not enough gamers with slow reflexes to make that kind of thing a viable niche. And the people who do have slow reflexes, if they play games at all, don't play exploration games.)

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 16:28:08 »
Knowing you, hmpf, your completionist attitude will destroy you on some of the harder challenges.. :P (and there are some very, very hard challenges.)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 16:36:09 »
Knowing you, hmpf, your completionist attitude will destroy you on some of the harder challenges.. :P (and there are some very, very hard challenges.)

Well, I won't ever get to the harder challenges. (ETA: Okay, maybe when Nifflas installs a slow-mo function.)

Actually, though, I'm not much of a completionist. I just want to explore lovely virtual worlds. I'm not much about challenge.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 16:47:42 »
A slow-motion mode is on my to-do list. After Christmas, I'll start working on some minor fixes and will add that while I'm at it.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 17:24:27 »
Well, I've started chapter 2 now, and... I give up. The ball is too fast for me. I just can't react quickly enough. (Also, I seem to have a poor grasp on bouncy ball physics, lol. I didn't even get out of the very first cave after the Nicklas sprite left me to my own devices.) :-(
Try Advanced control scheme. When keys are for both hands it may get easier. I have A for Dampen *and* Transform, S for Jump and D for power use.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 17:51:59 »
Personally, I'm more of a story person than a reflex person.  My hands get a little shaky whenever my blood sugar is even a little bit off, but more importantly I love finding out more about the setting.

Edit by Miss Paula: fixed spoiler tag. it's a singular. ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 19:26:52 by Miss Paula »

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 00:06:16 »
A slow-motion mode is on my to-do list. After Christmas, I'll start working on some minor fixes and will add that while I'm at it.
More achievement dances!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 00:46:18 »
I am such an idiot.

I just tried again, and... well. I somehow didn't realise, before, that I could switch back to being whats-her-name anytime. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Changing back to that form instead of the ball made everything very easy, of course. :D

I'll be buying the full game now...

Offline DiCola

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 23:14:28 »
Switching frequently between Mi and the ball certainly resolves a lot of the frantic movements that the ball tends to have. And I'm thankful for the slow movement for Mi in the Infinity Hype Update. But once I got into the Comic Sans Challenge where you can only play as the ball, I noticed a common issue with the ball physics.

The dampening button only dampens vertical bouncing. It has no lessening effect on horisontal bouncing, which makes it difficult for example, to bounce up a narrow staircase or to get the ball under control again after it's gone berserk in tight quarters :D

Within a Deep Forest did have horisontal dampening implemented, so I wonder why Knytt Underground doesn't. It would save plenty of nerves I'd say.