PS3 version: Sensitive analog stick tilt recognition?

• 6 Replies
PS3 version: Sensitive analog stick tilt recognition?
« on: December 22, 2012, 17:05:19 »
Hi folks,

I got the PS3 version of Knytt Underground and I keep on having the following issue: Even though my Dualshock 3's left analog stick is in a neutral position, the game recognizes it to be tilted up. This effectively makes the character climb and the cursor in the inventory and map move upwards automatically. If I tilt the stick a marginally tiny bit down, the game recognizes a neutral position and stops moving the character and the map/inventory cursor.

This is the first and only PS3 game I have this kind of issue with. I did reset the game, the console, and the controller -- but the issue persists. I made sure that both sticks aren't touched and tilted when starting the console and the game -- the issue still persists.

So, is anyone else having this issue as well? Is this issue known to the devs? Do you need further information from me to check things? Might there be a way left to remedy this issue myself?

Best regards
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 17:06:52 by Querdenker »

Re: PS3 version: Sensitive analog stick tilt recognition?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 17:11:50 »
Weird... I have two controllers and it didn't occure to me with both.
Another issue, though; the analog controls are a tad too sensitive - meaning that the slightest touch in any direction will send the characters dashing forward. More than that - if I don't push the stick exactly up \ down while climbing, it makes me jump of the wall.. Those issues force me to use the D-PAD instead... :( So if you could look into it, it would be more than awesome if you'd adjust it (i.e two speeds of movement depending on how strong you push the stick? A little less sensitive range of directions?)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 17:12:59 »
The game has a few bugs in it, and I think this is one of them. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not one of the devs, and have little to do with the development, but I am aware that the controls need a little bit more touching up. I hope they'll fix this with an update.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 17:58:31 »
Well, my controller is like 3 years old. So yeah, that left analog stick might be a little worn out. But as previously stated, this is the only game that gives me this kind of issue.

Concerning the D-Pad: I tried to play this with the D-Pad while regulating the character's walking speed with the Square button. But climbing with the D-Pad does not work for me because the stick appears to have a higher priority. That means that the tilted-up stick, as the game recognizes it, overrides the D-Pad's pressed Down-button. So instead of climbing down, the character slowly climbs up.

Usually I really appreciate rather sensitive and responsive controls in a game. But in this case, at least for me, the defaults don't work. And I don't see myself spending around €40 for a new controller just to be able to play this one game on the PS3 properly. It's a pity really, since I think I would really enjoy this game if it wasn't for this controls issue.

Regardless, I'm gonna pick up the Vita version of this game in the next few days and give that one a spin, too. Looking forward to it, since it will run on a brand new Vita console.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 18:19:06 »
The sensitivity is one of the bugs known. It should be fixed in a few weeks hopefully. Note that the same bug is also on the Vita version.

The PC version which is out now doesn't have these issues though.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 18:16:47 »
My problem with the PS3 version is that whenever I get to the top of a ledge instead of making a short vertical hop I make a full speed leap forward, making it next to impossible to manage any platforming sections using the analog stocks without a lot of repeated attempts (and a lot of swearing). Doesn't affect the d-pad though, so that's one workaround.

Definitely something to look into for a bugfix though - before I found out it was a problem with the analog stick I thought that was just how the controls worked in this game, and that almost made me want to drop the game right there (and this is coming from someone who loves Nifflas games).

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 13:18:47 »
Yeah, these buggy controls suck pretty much. I hope people get the idea to complain here first so they find out its a bug that is hopefully going to be patched soon to give them the hopes to not drop the game.

MODPlug Central Forum