[Misc][Very Hard]The Tree of Life

• 17 Replies

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
[Misc][Very Hard]The Tree of Life
« on: December 01, 2012, 17:11:04 »
Explore the world, save the world.

Juni has a strange dream telling her that the Tree of Life is in danger. Follow her to find out what it means and what role she plays in saving the Tree. Explore over 600 screens or follow the story. Level inspired by The Machine by Nifflas.

The file size is 57mb so I couldn't upload it to the archive. It's so large because of the many music tracks contained in the level.

Download via Mediafire
Download via Google Docs

Here are some more screenshots. Please enjoy.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

This is my first level. I look forward to review. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 14:11:20 by Purple Ink »

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
Re: [Misc][Very Hard]The Tree of Life
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 17:59:45 »
I'm downloading it right now and I'll try it tonight!  ;)
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:42:28 »
I'm still in the process of playing it.  It's really fun, but man is it hard!

I like the soundtrack, too.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 16:52:41 »
Great first level! I played it to the end. Of course, this level is obviously hiding a huge quantity of secrets that I've barely scraped the surface of, so I can't say I've really completed it.

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 17:25:35 »
but man is it hard!

Hard? Try Dark Sea by SecretGlitch.

I tried it and I would required more save points. But it has very good atmosphere, graphics etc. for the first level.  ;)
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:55:43 »
I have made a review for this level!

Check it out here: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5404.msg59968#msg59968
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 14:02:01 »
I have not finished it yet, but I like it's concept and story. However, I think that there should be more save points (especially in Hermit's house) - sometimes it is annoying to run to the tree, save, run back, being killed and appear at the tree and then run back for several screens again (and being killed by another enemy...) - once I forgot where was I going. Also, I would put there more background graphics (vegetation etc.) to some screens, some look a little bit empty (and many are just all right).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 15:02:45 by Polana »

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 21:47:54 »
Great level! I really enjoyed how large the level was. For instance, having a HUGE waterfall was a really neat idea. However, many of the screens were pretty empty and it was a little irritating to have to run through so many screens to get to the next part of the story. This level reminded me a bit of Salvation by PeppyHare4000 and also The Other Side by The Red Snift because of the large size, the minimalistic feel and the high level of difficulty. I look forward to any other levels you decide to make!  :)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 14:01:26 »
Thanks for the kind words, guys. :)

I'll definitely keep your feedback in mind!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:39:51 »
Indeed a great level! The bad side, as mentioned is that it has so few save points that cheating is a must.

Hard? Try Dark Sea by SecretGlitch.
This one's harder, if you pick the Hard path in oracle.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:50:28 by GrayFace »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 01:20:58 »
Few save points was a design decision. I tried to space them evenly throughout the world without too many enemies between but I guess I missed the mark on that. Cheating was a must?  :shocked:

This level was designed to be played through at least twice because unless you're me you can't find everything on the first play. Also, it was designed with the idea that once you get a power-up you'll go back to areas you were before to see if you can find/reach new things.

Yep, that's all it's for.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 08:36:49 »
Few save points was a design decision. I tried to space them evenly throughout the world without too many enemies between but I guess I missed the mark on that. Cheating was a must?  :shocked:
Yes, or running lots of screens after getting killed by an accident. The save points not being easily visible makes it even worse, because you don't know that if you turn to one specific way at a crossroad you'll reach the savepoint and you miss it.
One place that requires save point because of challenge is x1032y996, on the right side of it. That screen is too deadly and random.

This level was designed to be played through at least twice because unless you're me you can't find everything on the first play. Also, it was designed with the idea that once you get a power-up you'll go back to areas you were before to see if you can find/reach new things.
Yes, but it plays differently: after you find detector and double jump you go back and revisit everything to find the eye. Then you must revisit everything AGAIN to access the secret areas, and that's where it stops making any sense.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:56 »
Well, as a non-story related area/secret place it was made to be a little harder but I do see what you mean about how it could be too random. And I get what you're saying about having to check places twice, which could be very confusing. Definitely keeping this in mind.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 13:00:35 »
Found a void to the right of x1010y999.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 13:10:26 by GrayFace »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 14:19:31 »
Ah! Thanks very much for pointing that out! I had the warp wrapping co-ordinates backwards for that area. Had to switch the left and right sides. X)

It's fixed now along with a small error correction for the Chamber of Ordeal.