[Challenge][Hard] Probability Laser

• 8 Replies

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
[Challenge][Hard] Probability Laser
« on: June 26, 2013, 20:11:49 »
Short, simple challenge level. There's really not much to say! In case you're wondering, though, this is actually a new level from me. It doesn't have many bells and whistles as you might expect from some of my abandoned previews. Sorry to disappoint! I hope you folks still enjoy it regardless, though.

Grab it here.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge][Hard] Probability Laser
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 20:46:30 »
Just finished it. I was little surprised by
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
I liked look of your level and I wish it was bigger. It ended just in the moment I started to enjoy it, so I will replay it soon.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 20:49:15 by Polana »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 23:35:50 »
Yeah, nice level.  Definitely should have been longer and would have liked to have had some plot going on.  Why is it a probability laser after all?

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 19:57:49 »
It was indeed fun!  I do agree that it could've been longer, but I also realize how it can feel trying to make a longer level and completing it.  Its easy to lose interest in what you're doing and such.  Great job!  :)
Teeeheee

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:31:35 »
It was really difficult to see the difference between paths-hidden-by-lasers that you could walk on and those you fell through, especially when there was only one type on a screen; Also, I found using shallow water and waterfalls as kill-blocks rather irritating. Ok, once you knew it got better, but it put me in a bad mood which made the puzzles frustrating rather than challenging.

Also, lack of ambiance is irritating. Water makes a noise!

Sorry, like I say those surprise-deaths until I learnt my way around put me in a bad mood. The challenges, however, were good. If anything it's a shame this level was so short so that there couldn't be more variation and development. Maybe a second area below the first with the other two keys?
The number of save-points was nice and forgiving; on the whole if learning what was safe and what was solid hadn't set me in a bad mood it would have been a nice little challenge. Better design on the narrow walkways to show what was solid and what was not (such as black outlines on the solid ones) would have been a big improvement. And using the actual deadly water and other traps to kill the player rather than mocking up your own dangers would have helped, too.
Plus some sound would have helped a lot.

All together the challenges were good but the confusing design let it down.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 02:05:53 »
I thought the color differences in the walkable-unwalkable laser things were pretty noticable.  I was surprised by the shallow water/waterfall kill, but it's not like the shallow water was really in a position to get multiple kills.  It was the water to the left of the shallow water that gave me trouble, actually.
Teeeheee

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 03:55:34 »
Neat little level... I liked the "art" of it, and I liked the idea of the kill lasers being on something that you could walk on. I think you could/should have expanded on that theme... maybe have laser walls you have to "climb?"

I liked the challenge of getting the high jump, but that was the only one I really found challenging. The shallow water kill did not annoy me. What did annoy me was the "puzzles" almost all being a variation of having Juni jump that split second after she "falls" off the platform. Its annoying that almost all the puzzles were that, recycled.

Still, I liked it more than I disliked it so have a star.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 22:31:52 »
Nice short level, well designed. It took me a long time until I found the red key.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 08:02:30 »
I enjoyed this, and I think the few negative points worth noting were already talked about by other people here.
I liked the challenges in this one because they don't rely on apparently random stuff, I'm usually a lot better with the more static challenges, probably from all the testing on my levels.