Endless Winter [easy/challenge]

• 48 Replies
Re: Endless Winter [easy/challenge]
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 19:12:46 »
Funny how you use THAT tileset; i've been using it to practise KS level design the last few days.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 20:30:53 »
I've posted this years ago when I was still using windows xp, but its a good showcase for these jumps which we used to call Triangular jumping.

http://files.lpchip.com/temp/flashmovies/KS%20Jump1/Knytt%20Stories%20Jump.html
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 23:56:55 »
In exactly what universe do the windows in XP look like that?

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 00:04:23 »
Damn,it just comes to say "DO NOT USE THESE JUMPS IN ANY NORMAL LEVEL"Also that Windows XP was very wierd,lol.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 13:44:49 »
Its a visual style for windows XP. :P Anyway, back to the topic. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Ultigonio

• I'm sleepy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:28 »
Holy cow, it's released! I guess I've gotta' play it now, huh...?  Fantastic job to all of you for having the initiative to complete it though, whoa!
Indefinitely Held Off:
Pouring
Complete:
This Level Plays Itself!

My SoundCloud

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 20:38:41 »
Oh man! I just started playing this... and it's already making me very, very happy! Such lovely scenery you guys made from this awesome tileset (and such wonderful tilesets you made to go with it!) And the snow storm! Ahhhhhhhhhh....

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 19:47:55 »
Okay, just did my daily fifteen minutes of KS, and I think I managed to get stuck a bit with this level, lol. What do I have to do for the game to allow me to explore the caves? I kind of assume I'll find the swipe card I need there? And I already found the reactor tech's diary entry that said he relaxed by exploring the caves, so I figured that would be enough of a reason for Juni to go there - but she still refuses.

ETA: The tree in the lab!!!! Loved that bit in particular. (I think it's official: for me, KS fulfills the psychological function of a garden.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 19:52:01 by Hmpf »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 22:08:21 »
Never mind, I'm an idiot. I seem to be very good at overlooking very obvious things at the moment.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 13:06:56 »
Sorry, about that part Hmpf. Directing players on a linear path through a level designed by many people with scarcely more direction other than, "Make it look Wintery," was quite a challenge for us.

When I originally signed on for tileset making, I thought the level would play like Gaia. There would be several loosely connected plot threads, and if you followed one far enough you'd find a ending. Mostly it would just be nice scenery. It turned out that most of the designers were pushing for a single, grand adventure. As we strove toward that end the design challenges rose higher and higher. In the end I'm proud to have my name on this level even though it features running back-and-forth across the map and not knowing where to go when there's only one place to go.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 14:16:34 »
This level is really good and I'm very proud to have been a part of it. It's insane to see how coherent the story is considering that the level is a collaborative project. Headgrinder, Egomassive and Sergio Cornaga, you guys are fantastic for taking over and finishing it up in such great style. a :hiddenstar: to you all :)

When I first started the project I figured it would just be a very small level with little to no story that resembled "great art" but with a wintery theme. I never expected so many to want to take part in it, and it was an absolute joy following how the level developed as everyone put their own little touch to the project.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 00:55:07 »
Right! I've finished this now! Except I think I have to play it again, because I played it in three separate sessions with two much time in between, so when I started again I usually didn't quite know where I'd left off, and I think as a result of this I may have missed some things.

But it was great!

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

But why do I get credit for the concept? I just said something like "I like this tileset, wouldn't it be great if someone made a level from it?" I think that hardly counts as providing a concept! :D

[mod]fixed spoiler tag[/mod]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:09:13 by LPChip »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 02:50:05 »
@ Hmpf: Actually you wanted to use Smashy's Tundra tileset for a Round-Robin, set up some ground rules, and convinced Bulbapuck that it was a worthwhile endeavor. Here's the thread.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 17:58:38 »
@ Hmpf: Actually you wanted to use Smashy's Tundra tileset for a Round-Robin, set up some ground rules, and convinced Bulbapuck that it was a worthwhile endeavor. Here's the thread.

Oh.

:D

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 06:49:11 »
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who worked so hard to put this together - especially the KS vets/masters - ego, sergio, headgrinder, et al. I'm about to play this again from the start. I never got a chance to finish when I played it when you guys firs put this out. awesome level.