Endless Winter [easy/challenge]

• 48 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: Endless Winter [easy/challenge]
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 15:46:13 »
Awesome level :)

Snow in snow overlay was too big. Walking through these snowy screens was unpleasant.

As an aside, if I can be forgiven for going briefly OT,  I could use some feedback on how to advertise updates to the topic aswell, should anyone have an opinion and a spare few minutes  ;)
One thing I always do is leave a post in the topic describing the changes.

Wall-swim in the attachment.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 15:49:01 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 21:40:38 »
New version available. There are only very minor fixes included. One screen in lab 3 had the wrong music. The screen with the wallswim GrayFace found has been altered. Some backgrounds near the icicle caves improve the transition from the town. The link in the opening post is current, but if you've already downloaded before today you can install the following patch:

Download Endless Winter patch 257 KB
Warning! This is not the full level. Install this over the level only if you had it before 27 November 2012.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 21:57:44 »
There's speedrun of this level: Endless Winter Speedrun. Enjoy...

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 16:50:32 »
New version available. There are only very minor fixes included. One screen in lab 3 had the wrong music. The screen with the wallswim GrayFace found has been altered. Some backgrounds near the icicle caves improve the transition from the town.

Backgrounds are quite an improvement! If you decide to touch up this level again, I noticed this SGE. Shift sounds could probably also be made more consistent, but I know I wouldn't wanna attempt that...

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 21:07:43 »
"I've heard there are statues in the Halls of Ice with the power to shift time itself!"

- Me, apparently, despite the fact that i don't remember saying that at all.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 22:02:07 »
After reading that you'd swapped the sprite in Linear Greenfire road with one of yourself, but not seeing any evidence of this in downloaded levels, I set out to do that myself. It turned out to be pretty troublesome, so I settled for adding your sprite elsewhere. Do you object? I had very mixed feelings about it after adding it.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 22:20:37 »
Do you object? I had very mixed feelings about it after adding it.

Nah. The generic other guy i used before that looked pretty awesome, and didn't have the problem of being a shameless self-insert. That's the nice part about the recast; if you DO know where the sprite came from, it's still only a cameo and not a "real" self-insert.

Speaking of Greenfire Road...

The only let-down was the future area (which was a big let down, if I'm honest - way below the standard of the rest of the level).
Yes, Talps, the future defied tie-ins.
I have to agree: "Future" area is one big fail.

Designer of the future area here. Yes, i know it sucks, and i somewhat regret ever having made it.

I was the least experienced guy working on this level. I experimented with the editor before, but this was my first attempt at a platforming challenge (not that it was supposed to be that much of a challenge anyway). I also had a lot to do in the week i was supposed to work on this, and i also wanted to make another lab besides the one that already existed (Lab 4, with the exception of some changes made by others, is mine). As for the purpose: I think the Greenfire Road was intended to be a way to get out of the Halls of Ice. It quickly became redundant when someone had the [sincerity]awesome idea[/sincerity] to make the elevator also go up, something i couldn't do back then, and still can't do now. It slowly (read: quickly) became more and more (read: absolutely) useless, and all i could do is hope someone would give it some purpose, even if they just put a "secret area" label on it. Needless to say, that never happened.

I also want to apologize for the fact that this formed a big problem in the creation of this level. Also, thanks for keeping it in; the fact that you did nothing about this huge stain on an otherwise perfect level means a lot to me... i guess.

Edit: Also, the fact that you made my random little NPC in the lab a ridiculously important character. Whoever came up with the "wood/Wood" thing is a genius.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 23:11:11 by StraightFlame »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 00:10:41 »
Don't let it get you down, StraightFlame. In the beginning I was opposed to altering anyone's areas, but by the time we got to the end I don't think anyone's work was left untouched. Evil's stuff was probably even more controversial than the future, but it also received more editing. He had waterfalls coming out of trees!

Personally, I'm proud to have my name on this level, Greenfire Road included. I didn't realize that the elevator didn't go up originally and that the Future was robbed of it's purpose. If you, StraightFlame, want to rework the GFR, or if you'd like me to; then I'm willing to revisit this project for that purpose.

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 21:10:06 »
This was REALLY good.It was very atmospheric,and the addition of the challenge/enviromental part was cool,even though I found the challenge area rather easy.
I think I might be missing some secrets.I found
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I got really confused at the future area,did it do anything or was the NPC that just noticed the statue elevator secretly a real person that made the area and then noticed it was pointless?

P.S:The ending is really adorable.

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 22:35:04 »
I got really confused at the future area,did it do anything or was the NPC that just noticed the statue elevator secretly a real person that made the area and then noticed it was pointless?

As detailed in my 612-page apology to anyone who reached that area, i made it just for the purpose of adding a way to get back up, and after someone decided to make the elevator go up, i hoped someone would make it have a purpose.

The guy is based on my character in this game, though his reaction when he discovered the lift can also go up is entirely my reaction (minus the "413 years" bit) to the same thing.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 03:08:51 »
I think I might be missing some secrets.I found
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

If my memory can be trusted, there are three other hidden characters. One of them is very hard to reach, another is almost impossible.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 13:43:33 »
@MasterF: There a quite a few secrets hidden in the level...
Spoiler: secrets list (click to show/hide)

Edit: Updated figure with GrayFace's tip
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 18:27:42 by egomassive »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 14:26:45 »
Never thought of gaining upwards momentum this way, this may be helpful indeed. My tactic is to 'jump off' the right way. First, press the arrow button, then jump. There's a few ticks after Juni stops touching the wall in which she can jump.

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 15:06:54 »
I think I had to use this trick in a screen in Rain* to get the enemy detector.It's tough,but usable.
Now,then,I guess I have to play this again!
PS:Found the painter!His crust fought back!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 17:32:13 by MasterF »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 18:38:56 »
Thanks for the tip GrayFace. I never figured that out myself. I've added it to the figure. I know I'm getting off topic a bit, but there's a similar move when you have the run, climb, and high-jump powers (see figure 2.) It's of no use in this level though.

By the way, these are more like mistakes designers should avoid lest advanced players break their levels. Using them for secrets is fine, but they should never be necessary in any level lower than lunatic grade, imho.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 18:46:04 by egomassive »