Endless Winter [easy/challenge]

• 48 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Endless Winter [easy/challenge]
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:40:15 »
Dear Juni, My land has fallen into an unending winter. I need your help. - Mrs. Soup

Endless Winter is a round robin level over two years in the making. Many many people have played a part in its development. Foremost of these are Bulbapuck who started and led the project early on, Headgrinder who kept things going in the middle, and Sergio Cornaga and myself who have finalized it.

The collaborative aspect has given the level a slightly eclectic feel. However, the story and the winter theme tie it all together nicely. The gameplay is mostly easy environmental, but there are several points where players can choose a hard challenging path.

Get Endless Winter by the Nifforum
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 19:30:44 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: Endless Winter [easy/challenge]
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23:16 »
Oh boy, I know what I'm doing tonight.

EDIT: This was great, you tied everything together quite nicely! That last area was really spooky, and I admire how you snuck in Healy's Lab 1 idea. Have a :hiddenstar:!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:33:35 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:15:50 »
This was a fantastic level! I especially liked the cutscenes and

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 17:25:13 »
Excellent level.  XD
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 00:51:00 »
Phew, that was good fun! Very nice atmosphere most of the way through. The only let-down was the future area (which was a big let down, if I'm honest - way below the standard of the rest of the level).

But it was good. Graphics, audio, plot and script were very good. I wish I'd dropped in on Mrs Soup a few times more - only noticed her dialogue later on.

I got very lost looking for Lab 1 - managed to find a floating painter first (I'm too lazy to insert spoiler tags so I'm talking in riddles instead). Got there in the end but other likely entries were more memorable than the actual solution, and the map made it look like its entrance was somewhere in or left of Lab 4.

Overall, a lot of fun. Very good level. Well done, all!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:15:41 »
I'm glad you're all enjoying it. Thanks for the stars. I don't feel the least bit guilty for reaping all the rewards from this community made level.  >)

Yes, Talps, the future defied tie-ins. The story was developed around what people had added, not an easy task. Then, small respectful design changes brought it all together. The Greenfire Road was so out there that we couldn't make it fit without completely destroying the authors work.

Offline powderj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 05:25:43 »
I'm trying to install this in Ego's mod and I keep getting a file corrupt error.  I deleted the original "world" folder for one of the previous versions and the error is still occurring.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:03:07 »
Got there in the end but other likely entries were more memorable than the actual solution, and the map made it look like its entrance was somewhere in or left of Lab 4.

Sorry, that's mostly my doing! The map thing is basically a red herring aside from indicating the rough location.

I'm trying to install this in Ego's mod and I keep getting a file corrupt error.  I deleted the original "world" folder for one of the previous versions and the error is still occurring.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

I installed it with Ego's mod and it was fine, so I'm guessing the download corrupted. Have you tried redownloading?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 13:26:47 »
Just now, I successfully downloaded it and installed it myself. So, re-downloading should fix your problem. The exact file size is 23,809,367 bytes. It is probably my fault that your download corrupted. I uploaded a new version near the time stamp on your comment. (I had misspelled misalign. :oops: )

It may be worth mentioning that some of the npc COs have randomized animations when you play with KS+. Original KS users get looping animations.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 14:11:10 »
That's just what I wanted to ask. I thought I read that you used the area ambiance objects, but couldn't find it in that thread when checking.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 14:21:42 by GrayFace »

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 01:42:39 »
Downloading now...
Looking forward!

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 01:29:41 »
It may be worth mentioning that some of the npc COs have randomized animations when you play with KS+. Original KS users get looping animations.

I decided, on balance, to add this level to "the list" for this reason but with an explanatory note.
As an aside, if I can be forgiven for going briefly OT,  I could use some feedback on how to advertise updates to the topic aswell, should anyone have an opinion and a spare few minutes  ;)

Back on-point, though; I've really enjoyed this level. The cutscenes look great and really work wonders to tie everything together. All your hard work on it has really paid off in a big way. :hiddenstar:

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 15:24:45 »
Excellent level!  I very much liked the atmosphere it built in the laboratories, and the music was very well chosen!

A few things I'd like to bring up though.

Still, this level is definitely a keeper in my collection, and I'll probably do a full review of it soon.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 15:54:20 »
I have to agree: "Future" area is one big fail. Rest of the level is fantastic  C).
edit: I foud secret area!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 17:53:00 by ixMarcel »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 11:42:44 »
Wow !
That was amazing !
I especially liked cutscenes and the part you can swim - it is really unusual feeling to swim in KS.
And scenic/easy path in the cave with keys looks beautiful.