Custom Characters collection

• 41 Replies
Re: Custom Characters collection
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 05:36:27 »
Can you be more specific about replacing the sound effects? Im really confused about this, I renamed my custom sound effect (like Knytt Jump) and placed it inside my custom character folder but I still cant get it to work. Please help :(

edit:

is it also possible to turn off sound effects? say if i dont want any sound playing when my character is walking or climbing...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:39:07 by JTsentinel »

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 22:02:24 »
I don't know if i should put it here, But i made a ''Parachute'' custom umbrella for KS+ to compensate for the original umbrella not working in the cat.

To use it, you simply put it along with Knyttcat.png (Or change the name to U[Character].png to use it with other characters) And then follow the normal INI instructions for that character.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 22:06:08 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 01:16:34 »
I would think that this is a good place to post umbrella graphics since they will be made to compliment character graphics.

I tried the cat's parachute. It's a nice touch, much better than an umbrella floating above its head. I'm planning to make a hang glider to go with the Knytt character. I think a pair wings would look good for Juni.

I've seen all of the characters except for the dragon in action. It's a pretty amusing collection. Although I'm skeptical of the legality of using some of these. Collecting these resources here should aid and inspire level designers. *gives GrayFace a star*

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 12:24:41 »
Is it possible to change player sprite within the level? So you could play as both Juni and Knytt for example.
Yes, character changing is possible. In fact, with the KS+ Features Demonstration level you can play as Juni and the Knytt.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 09:50:18 »
I've updated Mario character again.

Can you be more specific about replacing the sound effects? Im really confused about this, I renamed my custom sound effect (like Knytt Jump) and placed it inside my custom character folder but I still cant get it to work. Please help :(
The easiest way is for you to send me the map or just sounds and Script.lua.

is it also possible to turn off sound effects? say if i dont want any sound playing when my character is walking or climbing...
You can use a silent file. An empty file will probably do it too.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:02:02 by GrayFace »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 13:06:44 »
I've updated manage.lua and converted the cat parachute to KS Ex, as well as made a version for normal height characters. Custom umbrellas work in KS Ex similar to KS+, you just name them "UCharacterName". You can also define DefaultUmbrella to be used by all characters that don't have custom umbrellas. E.g. DefaultUmbrella = "UParachute" in Script.lua will make everyone wear a parachute.
I've updated [https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryk5w1pqvuvg2kq/CO%20to%20Template.rar?dl=1]CO to Template[/url] tool as well. Now it creates PlayerPos.png if it doesn't exist, so the created character is ready for use. Second, now it supports umbrellas conversion. You should turn on "Convert custom player graphics" and drag the umbrella spritesheet onto the form, it will recognize that it's an umbrella.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:52:58 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 15:09:01 »
GrayFace, it's really amazing how you keep adapting your mod and conversion tool to accept KS+ sprite sheets. If someone starts building a level for KS+, then decides they want the power of scripts, the switch to KS Ex should be rather painless. *gives star*

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 22:03:34 »
Can we also change the graphics of the default enemies (Meanies, etc.)? I'm trying to create a Mario level and I want to put goombas as one of the enemies. Can someone also upload KS enemy spritesheets, so I can use it as a template?

Thanks for the help. I'll post a KS level preview soon...

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 23:38:47 »
Yes. Tell me which exact enemies you need.

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 00:34:25 »
Bank 4 Meanies
Object 2,3,9

Bank 6 Traps
Object 5
Is it possible to make this sprite smaller like 24x24? I was thinking of making this one work like a piranha plant but if its too much work then its ok as is.

I also need their spritesheets because I dont know how to extract them from the game and I need to know their frames/dimensions.

Thanks a lot!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 01:27:56 »
I've added the objects to https://www.dropbox.com/s/euyzbaoqdt4r3uo/Standard%20Frames.rar?dl=1

Bank 6 Traps
Object 5
Is it possible to make this sprite smaller like 24x24? I was thinking of making this one work like a piranha plant but if its too much work then its ok as is.
The one that comes out of tubes? Make the graphics as separate frames or spritesheet and I'll do the template object. Shape of a standard object can be changed too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:53:11 by GrayFace »

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:02 »
Yes, its the plant that comes out of the pipe but I think its better if we just make it stand still. I could just put it on top of the pipe or something and make it snap its jaws.

I've got two Piranha Plants spritesheet here that I'd like to use:
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/4817474/file.html

Can you also make Bank 4 Meanie, Object 1 (red spiky enemy)?

Thanks again.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 03:08:41 »
Then you can do it with CO to Template tool if you worked with COs, just check "Hurts Player" and "Detect Red" in addition.

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 05:54:01 »
I tried that but it doesnt recognize the next other frames, it just shows the first frame and blinks on and off.