Custom Characters collection

• 41 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Custom Characters collection
« on: November 12, 2012, 18:37:48 »
This is a thread for custom main characters for both mine and egomassive's mods.
Please post your characters. When you post characters here and don't tell otherwise, it is assumed that anyone is free to use and modify them as long as proper credit is given and the derivative work is non-profit and KS-related.

Archive with all characters for KS Ex. Let's assume you put them into "Custom Characters" subfolder in your level. Then to use a character you should press Ctrl+D in Level Editor Ex and put these two lines of code there:
dofile(WorldPath.."Custom Characters/manage.lua")
DefaultCharacter = "Knytt"
(put character name instead of Knytt here)
Spoiler: More (click to show/hide)

To use a custom character in KS+ download the sprite-sheet image you see and follow the instructions of KS+:
Spoiler: KS+ Instructions (click to show/hide)

Characters

Knytt

Authors: Nifflas, egomassive, GrayFace

Used in: KS+ Features Demonstration, Ship Parts.

Cat

Authors: Firecat, GrayFace

UCat

Author: Firecat

Specifically for Cat. Note that you can do without it in KS Ex, cat can wear normal umbrella there.

Ghost

Authors: Toenail, GrayFace

Used in: Toenail - The World is Changing.

UGhost

Authors: Toenail, GrayFace

Mario

Authors: Nintendo, Toenail, GrayFace
(no attempts made to ask Nintendo's permission)

Mario1

Authors: Nintendo, Toenail, GrayFace
(older version of Mario with a different falling animation)

Dragon

Authors: richtaur, Toenail, GrayFace

squareman

Authors: Elpis, GrayFace
(I've no idea how to contact Elpis about permission)

Used in: Elpis - Squaremans Adventure.

Otto

Authors: Nifflas, Raicuparta, GrayFace
You are free to use it as you please, but please notify Raicuparta via PM if you do so.

Rabbit

Authors: Nifflas, GrayFace

JuniOld

Authors: Nifflas, Pumpkinbot, Plural, GrayFace

General Purpose Umbrellas

UParachute

Authors: Firecat, GrayFace
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 15:37:34 by GrayFace »

Re: Custom Characters collection
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 20:01:10 »
how do I set my custom character as my starting one in KS Ex? I'll post my custom character here when I'm done with my levels.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 21:20:30 »
1) If it's in form of KS+ sprite-sheet, then you should convert it to KS Ex with CO to Template tool (select "Convert custom player graphics", then drop the sprite-sheet onto the form). If you're just going to have this character graphics, skip over to step 2.
To change umbrella point open load.lua and change numbers in "UmbrellaOffsetX, UmbrellaOffsetY = 0, 0" line as you like.
To change height and/or width open PlayerPos.png and change it, it's the shape of player as the game sees it. However, when you change width you should also change ActionX in two "Objects.PlayerPos:LoadFrame" lines. The default values are 18 and 6. This picture should make it clear what they mean:

2) In the Script.lua (Ctrl+D shortcut in the editor opens it) you should write
dofile(WorldPath.."Custom Characters/MyCharacter/load.lua")
Here "Custom Characters/MyCharacter" is the path to your character's folder inside world folder.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 12:59:48 by GrayFace »

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 23:54:21 »
I must be blind... I cant find "Convert custom player graphics" on CO to Template tool.

edit:
added pic
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 23:57:50 by JTsentinel »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 00:01:06 »
You have the old version.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 00:14:00 »
I get an error whenever I try to walk using my custom character.

Event 287: attempt to call nil value
stack traceback:

edit:

its working now. I had to redownload and reinstall everything.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:15:38 by JTsentinel »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:06:19 »
Another note about the conversion tool: when it converts a character it doesn't overwrite load.lua if it's already there. That's different from what it does with custom objects. This way you can edit sprite-sheet and re-convert it overwriting frames and it won't mess up load.lua.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:26:53 »

I made this one of Otto (I think that was his name in Saira, not sure if that has always been the correct name) a few months ago. It was supposed to only be revealed during gameplay of an upcoming level of mine, but as it seems I get busier every day, I don't think I'm going to finish it any time soon. It may feel weird to control such a bulky chathiracter in KS, but I think it's not too bad. I recommend not using the umbrella, it probably just covers his face or something.
You are free to use it as you please, but I'd really like to be notified via PM if you do so.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 20:29:09 »
I've added it to the 1st post with small modifications. I've fixed hologram, moved standing frame left by 1 pixel and falling frames down by 1 pixel. Also set correct transparency for invisible player and converted for KS Ex. I've fixed transparency of some other KS+ sprite sheets too.
The attached hologram template can be helpful when making hologram frames.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 20:32:09 by GrayFace »

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:15:25 »
Not to be offensive, but why are you listed as an author in each one?
I specifically remember firecat releasing his as his alone, but for the others I can't be as certain...

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:16 »
Just for choosing player shape (PlayerPos.png) and umbrella point, also minor position/hologram tweaks for some characters (all except Knytt and Cat). Shape and umbrella point are KS Ex-only, KS+ doesn't allow changing player shape. I had a bit of doubts about this, but I felt I need to add myself at least to ghost character, because the repositioning of it introduced a noticeable difference from author's perspective. Thus I added myself everywhere. :P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:28:19 by GrayFace »

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:42:50 »
Just for choosing player shape (PlayerPos.png) and umbrella point, also minor position/hologram tweaks for some characters (all except Knytt and Cat). Shape and umbrella point are KS Ex-only, KS+ doesn't allow changing player shape. I had a bit of doubts about this, but I felt I need to add myself at least to ghost character, because the repositioning of it introduced a noticeable difference from author's perspective. Thus I added myself everywhere. :P
Oh very cool, so the actual active area changes? for instance, if I made juni a pixel high, she could walk under three pixel tall ceilings?
Forgive me for going off topic a bit, but does this change how the player interacts with slopes?

Anyway I see, I'll agree that that is fair :P

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 08:37:42 »
Now it's completely fair with my name written in gray.

Oh very cool, so the actual active area changes? for instance, if I made juni a pixel high, she could walk under three pixel tall ceilings?
Yes. Non-rectangle shape will also work, though who knows how adequate it would be in various situations.

Forgive me for going off topic a bit, but does this change how the player interacts with slopes?
If you cut 2 pixels at the bottom on the right and left sides of Juni she would climb steeper slopes.

Edit: Now I've also made a character :) I'm not satisfied with climbing animation...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:38:06 by GrayFace »

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 11:31:54 »
Some cool stuff here guys, I love the rabbit :).  Would love to see these guys have their own levels. Maybe I could... hmm..

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 12:07:56 »
That would be cool. :) Some of them do already. BTW, it's a good idea to put in levels that use the characters.
I've updated [https://www.dropbox.com/s/euyzbaoqdt4r3uo/Standard%20Frames.rar?dl=0]Standard Frames[/url] archive with Player Sounds folder. Now you can easily replace sounds for custom characters.

Edit: Another update. In KS Ex manage.lua handles character replacement now and replaces sounds automatically. Simply copy your versions of sound files from Player Sounds (in Standard Frames) into character folder and they would be used. Don't copy sounds that shouldn't be replaced.
I've also modified Mario character.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:40:41 by GrayFace »