Two questions for the sake of my level...

• 13 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Two questions for the sake of my level...
« on: November 04, 2012, 20:09:21 »
Greetings, everyone.  This goes specifically to the administrators, (or to Nifflas, if I am lucky.)

I am finishing up my Knytt Stories level, Cosmic Meltdown, which has a preview page here: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5392.0, and I need these two questions answered before I release it.

Firstly, is it okay for me to use the opening paragraph of text from the intro to 'The Machine'?  You know, the one that goes like this:

Among Knytts and many others creatures, many stories about Juni are being told.  Although the stories often make very little sense - many of them often contradicting each-other - a small number of them are known to be partially true.

This is one of those stories.

Second, my level uses music from 'A Strange Dream' in it.  Before you guys groan, let me tell you that I do know that this isn't allowed under normal circumstances, and in fact, I sent a PM to Nifflas on the forums a couple months back (before my project went on hold for a bit) asking permission to use these songs.  He has yet to respond to said PM, which is why I am now asking here.

I released a beta for the level, which has those songs in it, and I have yet to receive any notices asking me to remove them, so I figured I can stay the course as long as I credit the songs to him in the level.  Is it okay for me to keep those songs in the final release?

If I could get both of these questions answered ASAP by a higher-up, that would be great!

-Fubaka
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 20:11:03 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Two questions for the sake of my level...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 22:41:43 »
I don't see a reason why you couldn't use the opening text.

The song is a different story however. Nifflas stated its not allowed unless he explicitly gives permission. If he hasn't replied yet, I'd find that PM, press the quote button on it, and send it again to Nifflas with a message like: I sent you this pm some time ago, and haven't yet given a response. Can I have permission?

Something along those lines.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:43:05 »
Thank you!  I just wanted to make that clear.

I have sent the message to Nifflas again.  Hopefully he has time to respond to it soon.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 20:32:42 »
Thank you!  I just wanted to make that clear.

I have sent the message to Nifflas again.  Hopefully he has time to respond to it soon.
Did you also tell him which song you are interested in? Otherwise he might not be able to directly answer your question. In these cases, its always best to provide as much information as possible, so Nifflas only has to reply.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 22:57:16 »
Well I told him I'd be using 4 of the songs from that level.  I suppose if it would help I'll send him an addendum saying which ones those are.

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 14:58:40 »
Just a heads up,

I've had a small chat with Nifflas. He's extremely busy with his upcoming game, getting everything round up, so he just doesn't have time to respond to his PM's like he used to.

So I've popped the question so I can help you in this case.

Since the expansion pack A Strange Dream is older now, Nifflas is okay with it if you use the music. :)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 18:12:44 »
That is very kind of you to bring that up to him in personal conversation.  It means a lot to me!

As a side note for anyone who would want to use these songs in the future, does this technically mean that they no longer need to seek permission to use the KS expansion songs in their levels?

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 21:10:17 »
That is very kind of you to bring that up to him in personal conversation.  It means a lot to me!

As a side note for anyone who would want to use these songs in the future, does this technically mean that they no longer need to seek permission to use the KS expansion songs in their levels?

Indeed. Nifflas wanted to make sure that his level was special around the time that Knytt Stories was new. So people know those levels to be with unique content now, and for that reason, Nifflas no longer feels it must only be limited to his expansion pack alone.

Anyone may use his song, if credit is given. For the sake of being nice to Nifflas, maybe its a nice idea to mention A Strange Dream in the credits as well.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 22:16:09 »
Thank you.  If anyone else has this question and posts it, I will direct them to this thread.

Love anything

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 05:27:10 »
I suppose I should post this here?

I too needed permission from Nifflas for a music track, and it was granted.
I'm releasing a sound track with the level, and am wondering if I can include it in there.
Thoughts?

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 09:13:47 »
I suppose I should post this here?

I too needed permission from Nifflas for a music track, and it was granted.
I'm releasing a sound track with the level, and am wondering if I can include it in there.
Thoughts?

I'd definitely ask Nifflas permission before including that in a soundtrack.  I'm sure he'd accept, as long as it was non-profit.

Love anything

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 10:39:14 »
What do you mean with "Release a sound track with the level"?

Is it a separate download with all the music, or are it multiple links to separate songs, or only to your music, not all?

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 22:58:42 »
What do you mean with "Release a sound track with the level"?

Is it a separate download with all the music, or are it multiple links to separate songs, or only to your music, not all?
It's a bandcamp album :P
It would be available for free download and would have all or most music files from the level.
I wanted to do this because most of the music was designed specifically for the level, and I thought it'd be a nice way to further share it.
I'm wondering whether music that already existed, however, like Nifflas track, should or could be included. :P

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 12:29:36 »
Only if you have his explicit permission. But normally this is a no, because of copyright issues.

You are basically uploading someone elses music to a website which gives them no control over whats on that website. I'm generally against such actions myself.

So only Nifflas can tell you if this is okay or not. Also, tell him what license is used on bandcamp.

MODPlug Central Forum