[Challenge/Easy][Small] Nightmare World

• 10 Replies

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
[Challenge/Easy][Small] Nightmare World
« on: November 03, 2012, 19:37:12 »
Here's a small level about Juni having a nightmare. There are two main areas and one secret area. Custom sound effects & music from freesound. As usual, I use tilesets in uncommon ways, as the screenshot demonstrates. I apologize for any wallswims and/or voids, but I have no time to beta test  :oops:

http://www.jashiin.com/miscellany/Yohji%20-%20Nightmare%20World.knytt.bin

I've got a lot of unfinished levels now (e.g. Pestilence 2.0, a larger version of Understanding Time, etc.), but judging by the current state of the community, by the time I get around to completing them, there will be no community to release them into. It's a bit sad, but I guess that's only to be expected. It's been discussed by others before, many times. So I decided to put every other project on hold and finish Nightmare World, since it was the only one I could finalize more or less quickly.

Seeing how this is quite probably my last KS level, I'd like to use this opportunity to thank everyone here who ever offered me their support. Making levels has always been hard for me, and you guys kept me going. Thanks to you, I've learnt a great deal, and had a lot of fun doing it :)

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Easy][Small] Nightmare World
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 21:16:29 »
Don't be discouraged by the rate of activity here! I know from experience that Knytt Stories tends to come in fits and starts. I've seen the community declared dead too many times to really believe it.

As for your level, it's very interesting and has a great minimalist feel to it, but unfortunately I had a lot of trouble making heads or tails of it. I had a hard time figuring out what it was I was supposed to do, and got stuck after
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 21:44:17 »
As for your level, it's very interesting and has a great minimalist feel to it, but unfortunately I had a lot of trouble making heads or tails of it. I had a hard time figuring out what it was I was supposed to do, and got stuck after

The dark area is meant to be confusing, but I guess I went overboard if it's this hard. Sorry!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:32:08 »
*Downloads*

You were one of the first people I met here, beta tested my first level. I've always respected your work and took notice of your opinions and kind words to other forum members. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 14:17:06 »
It is good and beautiful level, although the black part is little confusing or labyrinthine (I was not sure where can I step and where can't). However, I love it's original look.

As a new member, I don't know, how large our community used to be, and I am happy that there is still someone who answers my questions about level editing. But I understand that making levels or mods only for several other KS fans could be unsatisfactory.
Good bye.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 16:06:17 »
Oh man, hate to hear that.  Yeah, I've stopped putting almost any time into knytting, either at the forum or on my computer, but this will I think always remain a hobby... especially with ego's edit still developing.  I think I would only stop if something as cool but easier to use came out, which I doubt.  But, I can understand wanting to just break free so your not always spending time thinking about it.  I love your non-traditional level designs and will miss your input in my levels... whenever it is that I finish another one. 

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 19:08:05 »
You'll be a great loss to the community. Your levels have been getting more and more accomplished each time and this one's no exception. You'll be sorely missed  :(

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 00:54:38 »
The dark area wasn't too confusing to me,

I'm wondering how we could promote KS (and all Nifflas games) to a bigger audience.

Two voids:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:09:19 by GrayFace »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 22:48:15 »
off topic (sorry) we could make some KS/Nifflas zazzle tshirt designs and wear them all the time.

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 01:09:24 »
I gave one of the two Sara Sandberg t-shirt designs as a gift to a friend a while back with a short covering letter explaining about nifflas and his games, along with the URL for his homepage. If anyone's thinking about gifts for gaming friends or family over christmas, that's one way to promote the community. It'll help add to the number of people walking around in nifflas "adverts" aswell  :^^:

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 16:10:09 »
Not a huge fan of the dark area.  But all in all its a good level.  The thing I do enjoy about the dark area is the way it gives you an uneasy feeling while playing.  "Is this path real?  Is there a path there even though there isn't?" Good job making me feel that way, m'friend!
Teeeheee