A question about jumping and holding the up arrow..

• 6 Replies

Offline delii

• View Profile
A question about jumping and holding the up arrow..
« on: October 29, 2012, 15:39:08 »
So my problem is that when I hold the left arrow key and up arrow key, I can't jump. At all. Yet when I hold the right arrow key and up key I can just perfectly fine. This is driving me insane, trying to jump onto walls and such. Has anyone had this issue, and is there anyway to fix it?

Trying to quit cigarettes and playing hard levels with this damn jumping thing is very difficult  :moody:
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: A question about jumping and holding the up arrow..
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 15:49:33 »
It sounds like an issue with your keyboard. Many keyboards stop recognising keypresses after a certain number have been held down. I have a similar problem when playing Spelunky; it's fine when I run and jump left (Shift + Left Arrow + Z), but running and jumping right invariably fails.

Test your keyboard here to verify. You then might be able to use AutoHotKey to remap the keys used by Knytt Stories to ones that don't jam.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 19:52:02 »
Indeed. And this is called keyboard-ghosting.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 23:08:17 »
I have the same problem with left, jump and another key I don't remember; maybe up - I've gotten so used to it that I can work past it now. Just took a long, frustrating while for my instincts to rewrite.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:23:22 »
You can configure keys with the Knytt Stories Plus mod. Possibly, you can find a combination that works for you.

@ LPChip: Thanks for that link. I've wondered where to find a resource detailing keyboard ghosting so that I can avoid bad configurations in my game-developing endeavors. *gives star* edit: I read the article, and it wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped. I was under the impression that there were several standard wiring methods, but it seems there are no standards at all.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:43:12 by egomassive »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:29:09 »
Actually, there's a standard. Which was made on the first PS/2 which only has 2 keys before ghosting occurs. That standard has been made for all the low-budget keyboards. But sicne many companies wants to combat ghosting, they all made different techniques (grouping different keys together) to combat ghosting. Some even increased the buffer (which is possible with USB).

But the article I linked to indeed doesn't show this that well...
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline delii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 17:45:39 »
Wow, this was very helpful, thank you so much! C) I'll try some of the things suggested.
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche